CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #181
aventari
CB7tuner Member

aventari is cool... so far.
haha you're totally right, I'm going to Harbor Freight tonight to pick up a press and do this myself.

I've needed one some many times, I'm just always lazy and cheap
aventari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:44 AM   #182
ukemike
CB7tuner Member

ukemike is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aventari View Post
After the last race and the crash, some work needed to be done on the car.

During the race, to quickly fix our suspension, I had to drill a hole in the rear subframe to remount the control arm, basically destroying it. So a new subframe was needed, and in addition, the front steering rack was making clunking noises due to the crash so that needed to be replaced.

Actually while inspecting the steering rack noises, we noticed that the front subframe itself was bent and cracked! So not only do we need a new rack and rear frame, but a new front subframe as well. We actually think the front crack was caused by a previous crash.

Dang something similar ruined our last race and lead to us buying a new car! When you've got it all back together check to see if the CV boot on one side or the other looks stretched. After I put in our new front crossmember our left inner axle boot was stretched and we didn't notice. Pulled the axle out after 7 laps. Put in a new axle. Did it again. Turns out the frame was bent in some way that I was unable to comprehend. I did do a string alignment and found the whole front end was about an inch out of whack. Hence the new car.
Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel.
A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, glasspack muffler, PT12 ECU.
Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid
ukemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:20 PM   #183
aventari
CB7tuner Member

Well I've replaced the rear crossmember and bent control arm, and replaced the whole front subframe, steering rack and tie rods.

Everything is almost back together, just gotta hook up the exhaust and fill the power steering and take it to the alignment shop.

I hope nothing is bent too bad, but there's a good frame shop next door that I would use if it's actually bent up.

Gonna get the car roadworthy this weekend and align it next week. 5 weeks left!
Old 09-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #184
aventari
CB7tuner Member

Car was aligned, and the frame is not bent! woot

However with a non bent subframe, the camber increased, and the adjustment of the control arm couldn't make up for it.

So new instead of -3.84 left and -3.68 right camber,
now it's
-4.18 left
-3.91 right.

I'm hoping that's not too much, we will see how it feels on track. If it's too much, I'll find some different upper arms.

Also I bled the brakes and fixed an exhaust leak. The $50 ebay header fex section had started leaking. I'm sure because it was forced into this S bend when mounted and it was putting stress on the flex.

So I cut it out and welded up an S bend from 2" diameter piping and an 8" long new flex section.

The new steering rack is working and not leaking which is nice. Only 2 more weekends of work left before the race!
Old 09-09-2018, 10:19 PM   #185
aventari
CB7tuner Member

Does anyone know of a source for a header with larger pipes? This one only goes into a 2" collector, I'd love a 2.5" or even 2.25" header for some extra power.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #186
aventari
CB7tuner Member

Since the last post we've only done one race, and that was September 2018 with 24 Hours of LeMons at ButtonWillow. We got 20th place (of 119), and 7th in class B.

The complete story is that one of my drivers wrecked the car pretty bad (into ukemike's CB7) and we had to spend all night saturday fixing stuff. I'm so sorry dude!

After that I kinda lost motivation and haven't done anything for the whole year of 2019.

In 2019 I tried to get into Spec E30 racing, I got my NASA race license and did a few races in a rented car, but I really didn't like the cars too much (despite loving my own track E30) and the racing was way too dangerous and aggressive for my tastes. Too many wrecks.

So now I'm back to endurance racing the CB7. I got the team back together and we're racing at Willow Springs March 28th with 24 Hours of Lemons.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #187
aventari
CB7tuner Member

I've done a bunch of work to get ready for this race

10/26/2019 Replaced bent rear subframe and bolts and control arms with junkyard piece from accident, then aligned car at DE alignment

2/14/2020 New spark plugs NGK ZFR7F-11, Checked and cleaned up cap and rotor, tested spark plug wires. All have good low resistance ~1100 ohms, adjusted valves

2/15/2020 Rebuilt front calipers, new pistons, bolts, seals, dust boots, New front rotors, Bled brakes RBF600

2/22/2020 New Hunsaker gas cans modified to work with our filler neck, they can dump 5.5 gallons of fuel in 14 seconds!

Then the last few weeks we've been making a lexan rear window and and air dam

Home depot garden edging and rivets

Then the window sheet from home depot

First you make a cardboard template, then cut it, then trim it (because your template was garbage), then form it with heat. Takes hours and a helper.

But I BOUGHT THE WRONG MATERIAL. I got acrylic instead of polycorbonate and it started cracking bad overnight. In addition to all the cracking during fabrication.

If we used this, it would shatter during the race

So I removed the window and bought a 4x8 sheet of lexan for $190 yesterday and we'll have another go at it. At least we already did 80% of the work on the acrylic sheet, and just need to cut out and form and drill the new one.

Last edited by aventari; 03-10-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:47 PM   #188
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

Grumpys93 seems to have made some friends!
Interesting turn on the exhaust pipe. Any reason for having it turn left? Glad you are back at it!
FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93
Grumpys93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:34 PM   #189
aventari
CB7tuner Member

thanks, glad to be back.

That's the "laguna pipe"

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...lations-260088

Basically Laguna Seca has crazy restrictive noise regulations and they have a sound meter on the right side of the track. So we point our pipes to the left so the meter will register quieter and we don't get kicked off track

I posted about it here
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showpost...&postcount=137

First I had 2 mufflers:

But it was so quiet with just one Dynomax Superturbo that I removed the extra muffler and just left the laguna pipe
Old 03-12-2020, 09:15 PM   #190
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

Lmao that hilarious.
FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
Old 03-14-2020, 12:47 AM   #191
aventari
CB7tuner Member

Uggghhhh

Our race was cancelled today due to COVID19.

I guess I'll try to head to another race soon when this blows over
Old 03-14-2020, 09:55 AM   #192
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

Yep everything is getting canceled. Disney world even closed down. Now that’s saying something.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:39 PM   #193
ukemike
CB7tuner Member

Check this out! Kevin's car made it into the promo for the next Chasin' Racin' episode.
Right here for a second and again at about 34 seconds.

https://youtu.be/JJ1P4dMT2cI?t=27

M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel.
A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, glasspack muffler, PT12 ECU.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:15 PM   #194
Straight Success
Contributing Member

Straight Success is someone to admire Straight Success is someone to admire Straight Success is someone to admire
Quote:
Originally Posted by aventari View Post
thanks, glad to be back.

That's the "laguna pipe"

But it was so quiet with just one Dynomax Superturbo that I removed the extra muffler and just left the laguna pipe
This.

That damn sound booth is one of the factors that played a role in my crash at turn 6. Ehhh, it's still my fault that I crashed, but the booth can be a PITA distraction.

Nice racecar. I like the handy work fabrication.

"...they did the bowties, I did the ascots, as much as I have, I'm still reppin' the have nots..."

- So Raspy

Straight Success is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:28 PM   #195
aventari
CB7tuner Member

[quote=ukemike;3295395]Check this out! Kevin's car made it into the promo for the next Chasin' Racin' episode.
Right here for a second and again at about 34 seconds.

https://youtu.be/JJ1P4dMT2cI?t=27

This is awesome, thanks for finding it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
That damn sound booth is one of the factors that played a role in my crash at turn 6. Ehhh, it's still my fault that I crashed, but the booth can be a PITA distraction.

Nice racecar. I like the handy work fabrication.
Ugh you crashed? That's never fun, what happened?
Old 05-11-2020, 02:37 PM   #196
aventari
CB7tuner Member

Using the old busted window as a template, we made new Lexan windows and WOW was it a lot easier to work with.
Easy to cut, didn't crack, easy to drill, and shaped to the curve super easy with no cracking.

Pretty sure it's 1/8" thick.

Also made side windows I need to install next weekend.

Then after ukemike's post about his dead fuel pump, I made a cutout for our fuel pump, just in case our pump dies, I can replace it in a few minutes during the race.

Then some more "add lightness" work. Gutted the trunk, removed hinges and latches and cabling. Gonna use 4 hood pins to hold it down.

to
Old 05-24-2020, 05:57 PM   #197
ukemike
CB7tuner Member

Aren't you concerned that the cutout will weaken the car? Seem like there could be a lot of flex there.

How much weight did you remove?
Old Yesterday, 11:32 PM   #198
aventari
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukemike View Post
Aren't you concerned that the cutout will weaken the car? Seem like there could be a lot of flex there.

How much weight did you remove?

A few pounds removed, not nearly enough to make it work the effort lol. If I was making a fiberglass trunk it would be worth it. Otherwise no.

As for strength, I'm not concerned about the cut out. The metal is really thin, it's a pretty flat area, and this brace is right above it strengthening the chassis:

Finished pinning the trunk in

Rivet nuts to bolt the windows in. I love these things! So cool to use.

The lexan is crazy light and strong

Almost done. Just waiting on bolts.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: