new radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new radiator

Hey guys i bought a new radiator with new hoses and thermostat about 3 months ago and suddenly the thermostat reader jumped up to red all the way so i parked and popped the hood. about 45 mins i opened to radiator to find out there was no coolant in the radiator but some in the reserve so i decided to put more coolant. Poured about half a bottle and in a month i had to do it again. what could be the issue? Thanks guys

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the issue is a leak.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

yeah or a puncture? because i was on the freeway and a piece of dry wall slammed into my foglight near my fog lights. damn i just bought it too.i should do a flush a check it out

Comment

did everything occur after the " puncture "? if so then you found your problem. Also check your hoses.

Comment

How may fog light do you have on your car???

Joke aside, if it was leaking that much, for sure you'll see it leaking after the system had been pressurized with normal driving. Or, you may see sign of leak.

If you are not seeing sign of leak, you may be burning the coolant.
          Last edited by oyajicool; 10-16-2012, 08:09 AM.
          A&P-IA

Comment

If the coolant mysteriously disappears it could be your head gasket. I had the same issue with my wagon.

Comment

I'm guessing you didn't propperly burp the coolant system. Air can be super heated and compressed and will cause a ton of problems. Did you run it for a period of time with the cap off with the heater on full heat and top it off correctly.

My guess is the error is in your work, if not be ready to replace water pump (not fun on a Honda, it's under the timing cover) and possibly head gasket if you allow super heated compressed air in your system for too long.

Comment

well for now i don't see any oil coming out of the black for the head gasket. Second should i flush out the system and refill it with coolant again? Its weird cause when i was in the drive in today and i was waiting for 5 mins the temperature started to rise again but then when i started driving it went back to normal heat????
                Mind boggled what do you guys think?

Comment

Are your fans working?
                  Might be a bad thermostat.

Those are the first thing I think of when you say it comes down after you drive. Thermostat was my problem. Same symptoms.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by ASTCB7 View Post
                    well for now i don't see any oil coming out of the black for the head gasket. Second should i flush out the system and refill it with coolant again? Its weird cause when i was in the drive in today and i was waiting for 5 mins the temperature started to rise again but then when i started driving it went back to normal heat????
                    Mind boggled what do you guys think?
                    What is a flush going to achieve?
                    Pressure test the system and find the leak.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Working...
                    X