Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car is still overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by js593
    The rad still looks NEW... .seriously NEW.... I only put one sheet of cardboard on the front, enough to keep the cold ass wind off it, and it helps alot. The water was however already warmed up, i had asked him for warm water... so that warping doesnt happen to the head. But, when i poped open the resivoir, it was bubbling at the bottom, like it was boiling almost, but it was just air. I threw in the water into the resivoir, and it was fine for the rest of the run. Im going to put back the cardboard, and see what happens. (I dont know if its applicable., but with our cars up her,e you need an auto bleeding rad with resivoir, so our honda's up here dont **need** to be bled, they get bled through the resivoir, and a special rad cap. )

I will update as i need to, but i dont think it will happen again.

Ninja edit; The gauge was up more then 90%. So any more, and i think it would have overheated. Gonna have to check everything today though cause something doesnt sound right.

the card board dose not sound like a good idea. radiator uses flowing air to cool it down, that could be a problem. we have resevoir tanks to, but when you bleed the coolant it is done via a bleed bolt by the thermostat which is right below the throttle body. this is to bleed the air out of the engine not the radiator itself.(also you should have your heater turned to HOT)

Comment

You could check if the valve to your heater core is opend or stuck closed thats what happend to mine it was stuck closed.Also the water pump is new but it could be defected i bought a new one for mine and it still overheated i took it back just to see and yep that was it.

Comment

Well i think it was overheading cause of the air in the tank, it was suckin air into the system and overheating.. .but i'm not having any problems yet... I'll have work bleed it on monday as i just dont feel like getting dirty lol...
        90 Accord EX F22a1 Auto R.I.P.
        2011 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L GS sport HELLO!

Comment

Originally posted by SN2BH22CB7
          NOTE: I just bought a 91 EX coupe....and its running fine...temp is normal..but as soon as I stop at a light....it gets up there

the culprit or culprits are ..( which I will repair )...

* thermostat
          * fans aren't kicking on ( which I have not heard kick on the whole way back to my house when I bought it ) " fan switch relay OR fan motors are burnt out "
          * air bubble ( which needs to be bled if thats the problem )

^ one or all of those may be causing my overheating.

but it only gets close to ( H ) 3/4th up the gauge when Im at a stop light.
          ^ just like when I have 3/4th of a tank..( exactly like that )
          I'll take bets on the fans not working.
          Regards from Oz,
          John.

Comment

The rad still looks NEW... .seriously NEW.... I only put one sheet of cardboard on the front, enough to keep the cold ass wind off it, and it helps alot. The water was however already warmed up, i had asked him for warm water... so that warping doesnt happen to the head. But, when i poped open the resivoir, it was bubbling at the bottom, like it was boiling almost, but it was just air. I threw in the water into the resivoir, and it was fine for the rest of the run. Im going to put back the cardboard, and see what happens.

Ninja edit; The gauge was up more then 90%. So any more, and i think it would have overheated. Gonna have to check everything today though cause something doesnt sound right.
            You can generally use hot water to refill a hot rad, as hot as you can get is best. However, it doesn't matter if you're just topping up the overflow tank, cold water is fine here (because the coolant just can't get back from the tank to the rad fast enough to cause a problem), just not straight into the rad itself.

I still can't see the need for blanking the rad, the thermostat will only allow enough coolant flow through the rad to keep the engine at the correct temp. I suspect this might be an idea that dates from the very old days before thermostats were commonly fitted to cars, and in cold weather you really did need to partially blank off airflow through the core or never get to correct temp.

From what you say I'd be surprised if the engine has been damaged by the overheating episode, but I wouldn't play Russian Roulette with my cooling system.
            Regards from Oz,
            John.

Comment

Well i think it was overheading cause of the air in the tank, it was suckin air into the system and overheating.. .but i'm not having any problems yet... I'll have work bleed it on monday as i just dont feel like getting dirty lol...
              I think the gas bubbling into the overflow tank is a symptom of the overheating, not a cause of it. If there is coolant in the tank then the system will 'suck' coolant back in, not air, unless perhaps the overflow tube is leaking.
              Regards from Oz,
              John.

Comment

Originally posted by johnl
                You can generally use hot water to refill a hot rad, as hot as you can get is best. However, it doesn't matter if you're just topping up the overflow tank, cold water is fine here (because the coolant just can't get back from the tank to the rad fast enough to cause a problem), just not straight into the rad itself.

I still can't see the need for blanking the rad, the thermostat will only allow enough coolant flow through the rad to keep the engine at the correct temp. I suspect this might be an idea that dates from the very old days before thermostats were commonly fitted to cars, and in cold weather you really did need to partially blank off airflow through the core or never get to correct temp.

From what you say I'd be surprised if the engine has been damaged by the overheating episode, but I wouldn't play Russian Roulette with my cooling system.
                Well i doubt this is the original thermostat, the last guy was pretty cautious when there was something wrong the least bit.. I didnt let it get into hot zone, so no massive dmg would be done. The weather here **Can** hit -50, but that was last year.. so far its a nice warm winter. I'll keep an eye on it though... if it goes past 3/4 i'll get a new thermostat, and the system bled out.
                Originally posted by johnl
                I think the gas bubbling into the overflow tank is a symptom of the overheating, not a cause of it. If there is coolant in the tank then the system will 'suck' coolant back in, not air, unless perhaps the overflow tube is leaking.
                There was no coolant in the overflow tank, none at all, it sucked up half the water i put in almost immdiatly... it sounded like it was sucking in air, and the little bit of fluid lef.t.. like a drop of water left in a cup, trying to get it with the straw. just like that... but yeah... no problems as of yet

Thanks guys
                90 Accord EX F22a1 Auto R.I.P.
                2011 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L GS sport HELLO!

Comment

Working...
                X