Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Gas Mileage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saysana13b
    I would never fill it pass the half mark because I don't like shedding all that money at once to fill it all up but my dad yelled at me for not doing so because he said if i ran out of gas all of a sudden the fuel pump would lock up or something and I'll lose control. That true? I mean I'll fill it up more often but wondering if that's true or not.
    If you run out of fuel, your fuel pump motor will spin unloaded for however long you keep the key on. This will quickly shorten the life of the fuel pump. If you're worried about spending the money all at once, fill it once, then keep filling at the half-tank mark. By the way, if you think filling a CB7 is expensive, you should have tried driving my previous vehicle. $80 for a full tank is almost physically painful.
    ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
    '93 EX 5-speed coupe
    Short ram intake
    Tenrai Himoto catback
    Smashed front end
    Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

Why the varying MPGs?

I too wonder why some get the normal rated 21mpg (like me) while others boast 28 or even 35.

I wonder how much difference in mpg there is between the A1, A4, and A6? And how much mpg is saved if you have AC or not?

And another factor is which body you have. I bet the wagons get less than the sedans, and the sedans get less than the coupes.

I imagine a single driver who drives mostly to work and back on the freeway with no family, driving a well-maintained dx coupe A1 with no AC probably gets way better MPG than say, a family driver (like me) who hauls around 4 people in an A6 EX Sedan, barely maintained, mostly city stop and go driving, with AC, and a full trunkload of crap in the back at all times.

I wonder if any of that really makes much difference.

I'd definitely like to get my 21mpg up closer to 30mpg. I do know when my timing was advanced I only got 19mpg. Setting it back to stock put me back at 21mpg.
      My Ride (Click here)

Comment

Good tire pressure, good alignment (and often), and an easy throttle. Get to the top gear as quick as you can, don't go over 60-65, even on the highway. Draft if you feel safe doing it.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
        where you been, is something wrong?
        i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

I get around with around 20 mpg, I'm satisfied cuz I haven't worked on car since the beginning of time. I still get better mileage than my friend's 240. Well Like everyone else said, keys are the filters and tire pressure and tires too.

Vouch for: Jarhead293, 2.2litrebeater, Darkshadow707, slammed4thgen, Pacman91ex.

Comment

re

Yeah those are some vital factors. I mean if you have a car load of people, 50-60lbs of junk in your trunk, and the AC going, driving through town, you proably woudlnt get very good mileage. And bad tire pressure would play into that as well. Me I only have maybe one passenger who weighs about 110 lbs. And my AC doesnt work. So that plays into my rating. I also have a 5 speed and do alot of highway driving too.
            1995 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed-DD and stockish
            1991 Honda Accord- H22a and lowered DD#2
            2005 SRT-4 ACR package-stock at the moment

Comment

If you are really anal about your mpg, you can get thin tires which gives you less rolling resistance but less traction. Weight reduction...start from let's say that cheese burger you will have lol

^ I wish my passengers are 110lbs, you must have a very hot gf eh

Vouch for: Jarhead293, 2.2litrebeater, Darkshadow707, slammed4thgen, Pacman91ex.

Comment

re

Yeah I kinda got off topic, but yeah pretty hot. 5'1'' weight in the right places. But for mpg you could also add some minor bolt on mods as well. Or a tune up. Intake and catback usually help your mpg on gas. At least in my experiences anyway.
                1995 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed-DD and stockish
                1991 Honda Accord- H22a and lowered DD#2
                2005 SRT-4 ACR package-stock at the moment

Comment

My car is a 91 CB7 with f22A9 engine. On my last interstate trip I kept careful track of consumption and driven sensibly at legal speeds (my wife was with me!) saw a worst of 40mpg going to Queensland, and a best of 42mpg coming back to N.S.W. Part of the difference might be that Qld is uphill toward the equator, and N.S.W. is downhill away from it! These figures are converted from the metric (litres per 100km) using US gallons, and uncorrected odometer readings.

The real reasons are that the engine is well maintained and in great condition (depite having just cleared 250,000 km, and still uses no oil!), the f22A9 has a higher compression ratio than your f series engines (which gives a more efficient fuel burn than lower compression), it's a manual gearbox runing synthetic 'Motul' oil, the toe alignment is accurately set (by me with stringlines) at zero / zero, and I run high tyre pressures (38 front / 45 rear, strange psi reflecting what the different tyres fitted (cheap) need to perform acceptably, sidewalls too soft, especially the Falken Ziex 329's on the rear, a truly crap tyre).

Oh, and I also have a CAI fitted, which may or may not help.
                  Last edited by johnl; 12-30-2007, 12:39 AM.
                  Regards from Oz,
                  John.

Comment

45mph is considered the most efficient speed for fuel mileage. Go easy on the throttle, shift as early in the rpm range as possible and put it in neutral when coming to a stop if you're in a manual. Change your oil every 3000-5000 miles, keep up on your regular maintenance and keep your tire pressures up. Reduce weight whenever possible (don't carry an assload of gear in the car) and make sure the car is properly aligned and the tires are wearing properly.

Just to give you an idea of how much mileage can vary, on my last tankful I averaged 26.5mpg, and this tank I'm pretty sure I'm averaging closer to 32. This is probably explained by the fact that I had a pretty bad slow leak in my right front tire that I just had taken care of. (Leaking past the corner of the wheel weight, was going from 32psi to 0 in 24 hours.)
                    ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

'93 EX 5-speed coupe
                    Short ram intake
                    Tenrai Himoto catback
                    Smashed front end

Comment

Originally posted by Camurai
                      on my last tankful I averaged 26.5mpg This is probably explained by the fact that I had a pretty bad slow leak in my right front tire that I just had taken care of. (Leaking past the corner of the wheel weight, was going from 32psi to 0 in 24 hours.)
                      you avg'd 26.5 with a leaking tire? jesus what do you do to make your car run so well?

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Whoever owned it before me took REALLY good care of it.

Project Deerslayer

'93 EX 5-speed coupe
                        Short ram intake
                        Tenrai Himoto catback
                        Smashed front end

Comment

intake...seafoam...it's an lx, so I don't think you have rear disc brakes, but..incase you do, I'd check 'em. I lifted my back wheels off the ground, and without an E-brake, I could loosen the lug nuts. They were rubbin' pretty bad. Ever see if it has a thermostat? They were always wonderin' why my moms car ran cold, and sucked gas, and come to find out.....had no thermostat. Car runs cold = More gas to the engine. If it's that bad on gas, it's gotta be held up somewhere. Seafoamin' could be a good idea. It could be anything man. haha But make sure none of your brakes are rubbing. And make sure you don't drive on the highway and stuff in 3rd gear. Ex used to do that shit.
                          Last edited by Gotz Cb7; 12-30-2007, 02:01 AM. Reason: left out a bit..
                          98' Mustang 3V Swap
                          11' VW CC R36

Comment

Originally posted by handovdoom
                            I get roughly 700km (435miles) / tank which is pretty good considering how I drive it.

But now since it's winter I get maybe 500km (310miles) / tank.
                            Damn dude.. you got some sort of traction control on that thing? in summer i only get 450 a tank, but im sure thats going to get better now that i found out i have a bad fuel filter. in winter all our 16 valve motors get bad on gas.... i dunno why.
                            90 Accord EX F22a1 Auto R.I.P.
                            2011 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L GS sport HELLO!

Comment

Is it me, or half of these ratings are on crack?
                              Posting your best, worst is pretty much pointless, avg is what matters.
                              I used to have a cb7 4dour lx, it got around ~360mpg,(Intake, Headers, nothing else)
                              My current car, cb7 coupe ex, gets around 350 mpg, constantly(nothing but exhaust on it)
                              This is mostly city driving too, and I like to push it a lot.

Originally posted by zack_odom
                              Yummmmm. I'm going to go eat some Buddy Club sauce with my Mugen Spoon.

Comment

Originally posted by i<3mycb7coupe
                                Is it me, or half of these ratings are on crack?
                                Posting your best, worst is pretty much pointless, avg is what matters.
                                Hwy mileage is as reasonable benchmark as any other, so long as you are comparing apples to apples. If most of your driving is at hwy speeds then it's a better benchmark than city or 'average' economy.

Comparisons with statements like 'get 400 miles from a tank full' are pointless because the variables from one person's tank full to another person's are too great to make the comparison meaningful (even one person's different fill ups will be less than equal).
                                Originally posted by i<3mycb7coupe
                                I used to have a cb7 4dour lx, it got around ~360mpg,(Intake, Headers, nothing else)
                                My current car, cb7 coupe ex, gets around 350 mpg, constantly(nothing but exhaust on it)
                                This is mostly city driving too, and I like to push it a lot.
                                I thought my car was doing well to get 40 -42mpg on the hwy, now I'm sure there must be something very very wrong with it!
                                Regards from Oz,
                                John.

Comment

Working...
                                X