• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how often do you enter tripod mode

meaning one wheel off the ground.
    what speed.
    ever rolled?
    in relation to the cb chassis in particular is it one more or less likely to do it compared to similiar cars.

Too long. I have a pretty stiff suspension, and I have never done it.

You need something really stiff to get the back wheel up on a CB.
    Gary A.K.A. Carter
    [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Ha, when I first read the title I thought you were asking us how often we got boners.
      ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::For Sale Thread::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

:::::::::::::::::: S2K::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::: CB7:::::::::::::::: Flickr

Comment

really it's impossible.
        I hear it's a good thing while cornering in a front wheel drive. 100% load on the outer rear tire improves grip and creates less understeer.

also heard the new civic type r wasn't so good because it doesn't handle like the previous generations which did do this.

the accord has independent rear suspension?

you most likely have stiffer anti roll bars rite.

both front and rear?

speaking of antiroll bars a car equiped with only rear bars would turn in quicker rite? opposed to car which only had them on the front.

Comment

Its not all the shocks and springs that do it, its all dependent on your lateral load transfer, and roll stiffness in the rear....aka a huge rear sway bar.
          There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

it happens to me from time to time
            93 Coupe........AutoX

Comment

Wel my car has nearlly 250K on the odo and i ahvent touched shocks or springs... Most of my springs are cracked, and shocks may be stock i dunno...

90 Accord LX, btw... No sway bar...

It has boat in water effect with body roll and ive cornerd pretty hard and besides my front tires slidding ive felt my ass end come out from under me nemourous times... I can nearly do it on q buy try to toss my car into a corner andonce that body roll kicks in she breaks loose back there...

Braking into a corner also gives me this liftage in the rear needed to cause some slidage...

So it happens from time to time, but then again, my cases are unfair, since my car is technically setup for 3 wheelin :P
              Last edited by tgdrums1990; 01-08-2011, 02:04 PM.
              My System
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165155

Comment

I've had oversteer going around 1st-gear hairpins several times. Slow in, then hammer it once you're maybe 1/2 way around or a hair over... I've done some gnarly no-handbrake drifts for a FWD. Accelerating from a crawl into a tight, full-lock turn in a parking lot my friend said I got the rear wheel off the ground. Stock suspension. That was before I had the LSD in, too.

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                Its not all the shocks and springs that do it, its all dependent on your lateral load transfer, and roll stiffness in the rear....aka a huge rear sway bar.
                A sway bar's stiffness slows down that lateral load transfer and hinders body roll. Strengthening the chassis is what seems to help; it may have been on ESP's site, but a customer with a Prelude was saying something about their traction bar making it easier to lift the inside rear wheel.

Originally posted by Xsjado View Post
                also heard the new civic type r wasn't so good because it doesn't handle like the previous generations which did do this.
                "Tripod mode," and now this. You watch a lot of Top Gear, don't you? 155 episodes on my PS3 combining all current-era Top Gears, all Top Gear Americas, one of three seasons (so far) of Top Gear Australia, and select episodes of Fifth Gear. Then I've got five of Clarkson's solo DVDs... and I pick up Top Gear magazine from Barnes & Noble every now and then. I'm right there with you, buddy!

The handling was worse because of the change in suspension. Honda switched to a rear torsion beam system for the FN2 European-model CTR hatch. The FD2 sedan that Japan got (as seen in Gran Turismo 5) still has the double wishbones and is stiff as ever.
                Last edited by CyborgGT; 01-10-2011, 01:17 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

yeah i just have to watch the specials myself.
                  I figure the autocross guys would know a lot about this.
                  personally I'v always had a fear of rolling the car.
                  I also can't imagine how 4ws would affect this.

Comment

I'd imagine 4WS would lessen body roll, if anything, because it's further hindering the weight transfer. Whereas a completely perpendicular tire will give more resistance, turning those rear wheels (however small an angle that may be with a Prelude system) decreases the rolling resistance and therefore the weight transfer should be slightly more gradual.

I'm actually considering putting a Prelude 4WS system in my CB. I've seen it done on a CB in a compilation video on YouTube. I hear it cuts out after something like 15mph (anyone know for sure? I've read about this system helping the car's handling... you don't "handle" in a parking lot), but that's when I really need it. When you take sharp hairpins and try accelerating hard out of them, our Accords absolutely love to understeer. It's those really sharp, sub-15mph turns that could use the most help.

I'm no auto-crosser (yet), but I practically live in the canyons.
                    Last edited by CyborgGT; 01-10-2011, 02:33 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

get one from australia japan or uk. from a same year accord as yours.
                      just sea freight it and it shouldn't be so bad.

I'm 99% sure the accord one works at all speeds. I'v looped the car 3 times or so when exiting the highway once when dry.

meaning full 360's coming off 100 kilomoters per hour.

after reading the manual and knowing it was 4ws i never spun out.

it says in the manual something along the lines of when going over 80k's it turns the way you point the steering wheel. for easier lane changing on highways. but at speed below it turns the opposite way to what your front wheels are pointed to aid in cornering.

I better draw a diagram and quote it from the manual word for word.

Comment

here's whats in the manual.
                        the second photo i didn't get all the words diagram is sufficient.
                        kinda crappy diagrams they made.

i rotated them and photobucket made them sideways again.

Comment

Wow, that sounds dangerous. Thanks a mil for the pics and info, I never knew it came in Accords. And sorry to get off topic here

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                          X