Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sell it, part it out, or stay the course?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sell it, part it out, or stay the course?

It's been eating at me for a few months now, so I'd like some help, insight, and comments on my situation.

I've been working on my 90 Accord LX for the last two years and just slowly building it. And unfortunately I am starting to get to that point in my life where I need a reliable vehicle that I don't have to keep working on. At some point I will have it complete and not have to work on it constantly, but the money is just not here and I can't keep relying on bumming rides from people (it's been about six months now).

Where I stand at this point is that I'm in need of getting an ECU chipped, everything tuned, and all of that wonderful goodness. All said and done, I'm looking at a little over $1K just for this (Neptune RTP, wideband, ECU, tune performed by a professional, and a few other miscellaneous things to go with it). I was planning on doing it myself, but I have no laptop, so that would be another expense.

I was planning on swapping to a manual, a 5 lug swap, and much more this year, but I'm just getting way too deep and need a car to drive asap.

What would you do?
    Convert everything back to stock and keep driving it?
    Part it out?
    Sell it as is?
    Keep building it?
    Trade/sell it off for something else?

It has no body damage and I think that is one of the reasons it's bothering me that I don't finish this... none of the Accords around here are clean.

I have several thousand of dollars worth of pieces and parts laying around and it's killing be that I haven't driven it for several months nor been able to install ANY of this stuff.
    My pile of goodies include a Bisi header, KTeller exhaust kit, new battery, JDM headlights, 5 lug conversion with NSX calipers, poly bushings, and a bunch of other parts.

So again, what would you do? I'm just driving myself nuts, especially this past week. HELP?!
    Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Put it back to stock and sell it then sell whatever is left over. Use that to buy something else.

I had the same problem with mine. I was constantly putting money into it and I eventually caved and gave it up. What option do you want to do the least?

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Part it out.

I just sold all of my Bisimoto parts.
      Originally posted by sweet91accord
      if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
        What option do you want to do the least?
        Honestly? Keep building it.
        It's not that I don't enjoy working on it (it's by far my favorite vehicle I've ever worked on), it's just the little voice in my head that keeps asking "At what point will you call it done?" because it seems like there is always something that needs changed or fixed.

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
        Part it out.
        Starting to seem like that is the best way to go.
        Guess I'll sit down this weekend and think it over some more and do some calculating to see if selling it and buying something else is even an option.

Comment

stick with and continue the project
          once you're done it will be so worth the wait

MY CB7

FULL part out thread:
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=204494

Comment

Part out the after market parts and sell it as stock

You won't get anywhere near $1000 in parting it out. The car as a whole is worth that much though

Comment

Originally posted by b3nsonx View Post
              stick with and continue the project
              once you're done it will be so worth the wait
              I'm sure I would/will, just getting there is taking WAY too long and it seems like I'm having less and less time to actually work on it.
              Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
              Part out the after market parts and sell it as stock

You won't get anywhere near $1000 in parting it out. The car as a whole is worth that much though
              Yeah I'd make it stock (or as close to stock as I can) and sell it as a running vehicle. That and I don't think I'm in the mood or have the patience to part it out, especially when it's not damaged, trashed or anything like that. If it was rusted and had many things wrong with it, then yeah, parting it out would make some sense.

Comment

Whats so wrong with the car that you have to constantly work on it? My Accord has been a daily driver with no major issues for 7 years, plus all the mods I've put into it. (Cam, exhaust, H23 intake, etc.) I haven't done much else besides change the oil lately.

Well I do have to put new struts on this year, but thats a days worth of work taking my time. Cake
                1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

just put it to stock and drive it. Then use the money you'll make in the next couple of months to get your "setup" ready to add to the car. Then install the high performance parts when you are finally ready.

It'd be a shame to sell that car, the paint/body is in immaculate shape. And people wouldn't appreciate it either. All they'd go for in price is the KBB and that won't give you shit for it no matter what shape its in.

But how much could it need if you've already got 2yrs of new parts on it already?

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

You know what man?

Press on and BUILD it. When my last car got hit, I was totally bummed out. I had done allot to it including my first H swap (which currently lives on in my 4th gen) 5 lug including the NSX calipers.

I bought my 4th gen coupe and HATED it because it was an automatic and I had never attempted an auto to manual swap and just wanted to sell both and move on , but with the help of some great friends on here (you know who are ) I took my time and completed the car within the last few weeks of August.

Now everytime I drive anywhere I get allot of compliments especially in my auto classes. No one around here (except for a few friends) mod these Accords and I actually take the time to take care of it..and keep it clean aside from the oxidized paint.

I've been told its a pretty sleek sleeper.

So in short aside from my experience..keep it man. If you sell it, you'll regret it later.
                    Henry R
                    Koni/Neuspeed
                    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

I've put too much money into mine so theres no backing out. Currently she's sleeping in the garage waiting for me to wrench on her some more.

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                        I've put too much money into mine so theres no backing out. Currently she's sleeping in the garage waiting for me to wrench on her some more.
                        X2, all the way to the sleeping part . i get mine out on a weekly basis .i just simply have too much love for my cb7 .its like no other car i have owned , and i have had more than my share of modified rides.unlike most of you guys we do not have many 4th gen. accords that have been taken care of in my area . so mine sticks out badly . i like that . LOL. so , i say keep it and enjoy your creation. some times they are few and far between.

A man that keeps looking back can't see whats in front of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                          Whats so wrong with the car that you have to constantly work on it? My Accord has been a daily driver with no major issues for 7 years, plus all the mods I've put into it. (Cam, exhaust, H23 intake, etc.) I haven't done much else besides change the oil lately.

Well I do have to put new struts on this year, but thats a days worth of work taking my time. Cake
                          It's not that I'm constantly working on it, it's that I don't have time to work on it and the state that it is in right now, it needs about $1K worth of work and parts to get it back on the road. Last thing I want to do is have everything that I've done to it go to waste by not getting it properly tuned or setup to be retuned in the future with the other mods that I have in the works.

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                          just put it to stock and drive it. Then use the money you'll make in the next couple of months to get your "setup" ready to add to the car. Then install the high performance parts when you are finally ready.

It'd be a shame to sell that car, the paint/body is in immaculate shape. And people wouldn't appreciate it either. All they'd go for in price is the KBB and that won't give you shit for it no matter what shape its in.
                          I thought about it overnight and I might just go that route (putting back to stock and building it when I can). Only problem I see with this is I don't think I'll ever have the time to build it, so then I start going back to "Why not just get rid of it?" scenario.

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                          But how much could it need if you've already got 2yrs of new parts on it already?
                          It's been a long process, just doing all of this as I can afford to. Right now just getting all of the electronics and tuning done and it'll be drivable (as long as it passes emissions).

Originally posted by Accrdkid View Post
                          You know what man?

Press on and BUILD it. When my last car got hit, I was totally bummed out. I had done allot to it including my first H swap (which currently lives on in my 4th gen) 5 lug including the NSX calipers.

I bought my 4th gen coupe and HATED it because it was an automatic and I had never attempted an auto to manual swap and just wanted to sell both and move on , but with the help of some great friends on here (you know who are ) I took my time and completed the car within the last few weeks of August.

Now everytime I drive anywhere I get allot of compliments especially in my auto classes. No one around here (except for a few friends) mod these Accords and I actually take the time to take care of it..and keep it clean aside from the oxidized paint.

I've been told its a pretty sleek sleeper.

So in short aside from my experience..keep it man. If you sell it, you'll regret it later.
                          Thanks man, definitely gives me so confidence in proceeding with the build.
                          I hate car shopping and I know I would probably end up spending way too much time trying to find a replacement for the Accord and never find one that holds up to the look and feel of the CB.

Originally posted by stretch JDM View Post
                          X2, all the way to the sleeping part . i get mine out on a weekly basis .i just simply have too much love for my cb7 .its like no other car i have owned , and i have had more than my share of modified rides.unlike most of you guys we do not have many 4th gen. accords that have been taken care of in my area . so mine sticks out badly . i like that . LOL. so , i say keep it and enjoy your creation. some times they are few and far between.
                          LOL, true dat. I've only seen ONE CB around here that is taken care of, but it's 100% bone stock and owned by a 60-70 year old man. Every other CB I see is trashed and pieced together just to keep it running and on the road. Just within my neighborhood of thirty houses, there are five CBs, but every single one has rust, body damage, or some other problem with it. Nobody gives the CB any love...

Comment

Any used car is going to come with issues... even a newer car. You already know this car pretty well, so it may very well be more reliable. I learned that the hard way when I bought a 5 year old Grand Prix GTP with 48,000 miles on it. It barely lasted to 100k before I had to get rid of it!

Honestly, your car is very clean, and you know your way around it. I would stick to it. Focus on maintaining it and replacing anything that could possibly make it unreliable. From the looks of it, and from your posts in the past, it can't need THAT much. A car is only as old as its parts!
                            You have a lot invested, and some nice plans for the future. It's not some beater that you're trying to resurrect... but a pretty nice car, even if it is nearly 22 years old! I'd stick with it. Or, if it's a possibility, you could do what I've done with mine... set it aside as a project, and get something newer (though I only did that because I drive 80k miles a year, and my project car wouldn't last very long with that! My 09 Fit is already showing the wear!)

Comment

No car is truly new, doesn't matter what year it is, what make, etc. they'll all need parts and will all develop problems.

personally? if you decide not to keep it, just part it out. you'll make more back that way. if you decide to keep it; maybe put it back to stock, sell some of the parts you've thrown into it aftermarket-wise and put that right back into what she needs to be road legal/worthy or whatever. i just sold mine, i don't really regret it persay but it'll be weird not owning a honda.

life is good.

Comment

Working...
                              X