Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Civic suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Civic suspension?

I've been searching on here and google a little, and I was curious as to how different civic (eg,or ek) struts are to our cb7s. I'm saying this because I'm low on cash at the moment and my passenger from strut wakes up the whle neighborhood when I do even the slightest turn or hit a small bump. My main garage is at a friends house and they all have eg's and ek's and there's spare struts layin around. Could I replace the front two without major modification? It's really really loud. Or are our shocks regreasable? Any help on this problem will be appreciated, thanks.

No, no, and no. Put a Civic strut on a CB7 and you'll be waking up the entire neighborhood when you crash into someones front door after a turn. If you're that low on cash go to the junkyard. Or while they definitely aren't the best or even mid grade. There's Monroe, KYB , and TAS that make a stock replacement.
    '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
    If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Thank you! I think I'll just wait and save a little. Its ridiculously loud Im just checkin for a quick cheap fix for now, but I'll deal with it

Comment

With even one blown shock, your car is extremely unsafe... The junkyard idea might not be a bad one. That, or look on Craigslist (or just post a "looking for" ad on there.) You can use shocks from any Accord from 1990 to 1997 (4th and 5th generations.) You might be able to get a replacement for free, and the work to install it isn't all that difficult.

If you are lowered now... well... that's just dumb, on what I assume are stock shocks. If you're not lowered, and you want to lower your car, don't even consider it until you've replaced all 4 shocks with something that will be properly matched to the springs you're putting on there. A mild drop can get away with cheaper stuff, like Koni STR.T. A more serious drop will require something better, and more expensive, such as Koni Yellows (I have those on my car... and they are well worth the money!)

Comment

you can get a new shock from autozone or advance for about 40-70$

Comment

my car is not lowered, i'm waiting til i can afford some quality shocks and springs for that. is it really that unsafe? my car rides fine even when i take corners at high speeds, and feels comfortable. it's just loud as fuck haha. blown shocks usually are rendered useless and you're suspension is basically just the spring am i right? i get paid sunday so i'm getting a new stock one then, if it's that dangerous hopefully it doesn't get any worse! then sometime in the near future, i'll be getting some good performance shocks for sure i sit like a 4x4 on my 17's lol. thanks by the way, i appreciate your guys' advice
            Last edited by andyrooo; 09-07-2011, 11:18 PM. Reason: manners!

Comment

Please use the "edit" button when you want to add something, rather than posting twice in a row. That will just get your posts deleted if you do that.

Anyway, yes. Your car is very unsafe with a blown shock. It may feel fine normally, but in an emergency, it will be uncontrollable. Do you have any large abandoned parking lots in your area? Something with no cars, no traffic, and enough space to safely get your car up to about 40mph? If so, go there. Go up to 40 or so, and brake hard. Don't lock your wheels up, but brake hard, as if you were on the highway and everyone in front of you just came to a sudden stop.
              I assure you, you will notice your car wanting to dive to one side or the other (if only one shock is blown, it will dive that way.)

I know this because I have a nearly blown shock in my Fit right now... and I nearly ate it on the highway today. I was in the left lane, everyone braked, and my car lurched to the right... straight at the side of a bus! I am aware of my car's condition (I drive 80k miles a year, so it's like a part of me.) However, that is absolutely no excuse to allow a necessary part to remain damaged. I may know my car's limitations, but I also know that an unexpected situation can put me in a position where those limitations are exceeded. For example... knowing my braking distance is increased due to the blown shock, I leave more room between me and the guy in front of me. The guy behind me sees this gap and assumes that I'm going slower than the guy 10 car lengths in front... so he zips around and cuts me off. Now, not only do I not have that safety zone, but I just got cut off too!

In addition to the diving, if your wheel begins to hop, you simply won't stop. If the rubber is bouncing up and down, it's not gripping the road to stop your car! I once saw a girl in an old E30 BMW... driving along the highway without a care in the world. Both of her rear shocks were completely done. Every time she hit an expansion joint, her back wheels literally left the ground.

It's bad enough on the highway, or around tight turns... but what if a kid runs out in front of you unexpectedly?

Comment

yeah i did notice that a little today somebody braked hard in front of me and my car dipped to the right a bit when i was coming to a stop. i'm definitely gonna be more cautious til i get it fixed, and i'll tear it apart and fix it as soon as possible! thanks a bunch, being eighteen i'm not extremely competent with everything to do with cars, haha

Comment

Yeah, that's the biggest issue with being a young driver. You just don't have the experience necessary to have a true feel for the car, or the reflexes in an emergency. When I was a new driver, I thought I was good... and man, compared to today, boy was I wrong! (and 10 years from now, I'll probably think "what the hell was I thinking?" about the me of today!)

Just be extra careful. We wanna see you and your car around here for a lot longer!

Comment

WHOOOH!! so i tore my car apart this week and replaced the clutch, when i put it back together it stopped squeaking, apparently somethin just needed lube or somethin haha

Comment

Working...
                    X