Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

F22B2 and F22A6 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F22B2 and F22A6 questions

I was wondering if I could swap an F22A6's spring and camshaft into a F22B2 (in my 1994 Honda Accord LX), I assume that I would also have to get a PT6 ECU. My second question is would an H23A intake manifold work on a F22B2 cylinder head? I've read conflicting things about it.

You'd probably be better off swapping the entire F22A6 head onto the F22B2 block. Then you can essentially treat your engine as you would a full F22A6 (meaning anything you read on here would likely apply to your engine.)

Comment

What Deev suggested is not a bad way to about what you want to accomplish. You would also need the upper timing cover, water pipe and thermostat housing from the F22A engine as well. This would allow you to run the F22A6 or H23A1 manifold that the PT6 you asked about will control.

However, if you wanted to refrain from the intake manifold conversion for a while, Honda has already done the homework for you. The F22B6 in the Honda Odyssey is exactly what you were describing had you stopped at your first sentence. It's effectively an F22B2 with the "4B" camshaft from the F22A6 stuffed inside. The ECU required to run the setup in your application is only available in the 1995 Odyssey. Everything after that was OBD2. Its code is P1E. That combination would be good for a Honda factory-rated 10hp increase assuming the engine was in good health and all contributing factors were ideal.

If you decided to upgrade the camshaft and wanted to keep the factory cylinder head for simplicity's sake, you could swap to an F23A intake manifold. They have substantially more plenum volume and bolt right up. You can use your factory injectors for ease of install and all you will need is a 3-wire to 2-wire IACV adapter like the one Rosko Racing sells. This will allow you to bolt up your factory IACV on the back of the manifold and require, at most, lengthening the hoses. Predicting gains from this modification is not as easy. Assume around 3-5hp and that should be conservative enough.

To answer your question about the H23A1 intake manifold on the F22B2 head; no, it won't work. Correctly, that is. Check out this picture.

It comes from this thread.

http://honda-tech.com/honda-accord-1...-head-2411929/

Sure, people get it to bolt up all the time. But, if you look at the difference in those ports and still think this is a feasible upgrade, be my guest. I'm not going to continue helping someone that hell-bent on being an idiot.

Now that all questions are answered, here's some advice. If you kept the F22B2 cylinder head, I would strongly recommend getting an aftermarket header. The 4-2-1 design of the aftermarket generic headers will far outperform the manifold that is on the car right now. It will really allow the car to open up on the top end. With all of those modifications complete you would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 15hp over stock. It would be enough to make the car feel much more peppy without putting even a sizable dent in the wallet.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, I found a re-manufactured F22B6 for $230 which means I'll have an extra head so I was wondering if there were any port and polish guides specific to the F22 SOHC engines. I found general ones but idk if there's any specific tips or tricks for the F22s. Thanks again.

Comment

hope you dont mind the question in your thread.. What differences are there between the F22Ax head casting & the F22B2 head casting?

Comment

Lets start with the similarities, they have the same valve train setup, although the B2-B6 use smaller diameter intake valves. Any Aftermarket cams springs and valves can be used on ether. The combustion chambers and cylinder head height are also the exactly the same between the PT3 and P0B cylinder head castings.

Now the differences...... intake port geometry, exhaust port geometry.

Exhaust side....

The PT3 (F22A1-6) casting (on top) uses exhaust ports that are centered with the cylinder bore or equal spacing. Whereas the P0B (F22B1,2-6) is not equal.

PT3 (F22A1-6) = 0-0-0-0
            P0B/P0A (F22B1-6) = 0-00-0

Also as shown by the red overlay in the image above, the P0B/P0A (F22B1-6) heads have a water jacket that surrounds the exhaust ports while the PT3 (F22A1-6) ports are air cooled.

Here is a comparison of the intake ports....

The PT3 (F22A1-6) ports, shown on the left, are short and wide were the P0B (F22B1-6 / F23A) ports, on the right, are much thinner at the port opening. The F22B/F23A ports do eventually widen out just before the valves.
            Last edited by GhostAccord; 06-28-2015, 11:51 AM.
            MR Thread
            GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
            X