Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Wanting to turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanting to turbo

Ok just bought my h22 cb7. I have had a couple but now I have a extra block sitting around. I am wanting to run about 7 psi and be able to be reliable. I understand boost leaks happen and what not. But i'm talking more of block wise. I have built several SBC and N/A f and N/A h22's but never have turbod a car. So can someone give me a starting place to make sure the h22 is gonna hold up to boost on a daily basis. My budget is about 4,000 my brothers father in law owns a machine shop so any of that work will be rather cheap. I don't want you guys to spoon feed me or anything. Just throw me in a good direction of books to read or anything along those lines. I am very mechanically inclined just when it comes to boost I consider myself the biggest noob out there.

I guess I don't understand how your situation is different from anyone else who has ever asked the question. To answer such a broad and commonly-asked question would still be possible with any search attempt into the subject.

Anyway, you know you're going to want stronger rods and forged pistons for starters. You can either go with a low-compression build that's safe to tune or you can go with somewhere in the neighborhood of 10.0:1 to 11.0:1 if you're confident in your tuner so that you have good out-of-boost performance.

The pistons you choose will either have to be Mahle Gold series pistons that are FRM cylinder friendly or you'll need to have the block sleeved. Whatever you decide you should have the machine shop check the clearances of the pistons in the bores once you have them. If you go sleeved then you can go any size of piston you want up to 90mm and order pistons with boost-friendly piston-to-wall tolerances. You'll want them looser because of how much a piston expands under the heat of boost, though not so much if you only plan to run a moderate level.

Anything else is really identical to what you should be doing if you were building an N/A H22A also. The crankshaft journals should be checked and verified for trueness and finish. Then OEM Honda bearings with the corresponding clearances should be ordered to install it.

Whether or not you want to eliminate balance shafts or piston squirters is up to you and where you stand on your oil pressure requirements.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Not really easy to answer with a search. I mean I have heard of people melting pistons. And such noone ever gives a real clear answer just well what do you wanna do with it. Never a clear answer. My list is already sitting at this and let me know if I left something out.
      Pistons
      Rods
      valve job
      better valve springs
      Cams
      spark plugs.
      Gasket kit
      Head studs
      Racing t belt
      Manual tensioner
      Turbo manifold
      Turbo
      Intercooler
      Piping.
      BOV
      I already have 450cc injectors sitting here got them for free.
      What am I missing is basically what i'm asking. I know i'm forgetting stuff
      just wanna make sure I have everything right. And do you follow same torque specs as the stock motor when it comes to head gasket and such?
      Last edited by andrew22888; 01-28-2014, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Aside from the pistons, rods and headstuds most of the stuff in your list is for the head which is why I didn't address it. You made it seem like you were just building up a block.

The injectors are fine but they will be pretty close to maxed out at 8 psi on that setup. I would prefer to have some new injectors with a slightly higher flow rate for the insurance and to make things easier on the tuner to know he has a cushion built in if you were to go with slightly higher compression.

The other stuff is fine but you sound like you're just listing every component you've ever seen an upgraded version of.

For instance, do you know what range of spark plugs you'll need? What power goals do you have to necessitate higher profile camshafts and stiffer springs?

First figure out your power goals and what you want daily drive-ability to be like. 8 pounds of boost on a built H22A will be enough to scoot around and push 280 whp. If you want more then the other variables come into play.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

mainstuds. line bore.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post

1.)The injectors are fine but they will be pretty close to maxed out at 8 psi on that setup.

2.)I would prefer to have some new injectors with a slightly higher flow rate for the insurance and to make things easier on the tuner to know he has a cushion built in if you were to go with slightly higher compression.

3.)What power goals do you have to necessitate higher profile camshafts and stiffer springs?

4.)First figure out your power goals and what you want daily drive-ability to be like. 8 pounds of boost on a built H22A will be enough to scoot around and push 280 whp. If you want more then the other variables come into play.
            1.)How could you say what the injectors will be doing at any psi without knowing the trim of the turbo?

2.)New injectors don't exactly = higher flow rate. Again, how can you determine what injectors are needed without knowing what the specs are on the turbo?

3.) Forced induction is always enough to get a different cam profile if the current cam was for an N/A setup

4.) PSI has nothing to do with how much power you are making. 8lbs of boost on a t25 is a completely different amount of flow vs a 16g.

Not trying to argue, Jarrett you usually have much better responses.
            Originally posted by wed3k
            im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

I fully understand those things. I was answering a vague question with general responses and not the information necessary to begin ordering parts.

The injector recommendation involves the input of not knowing the quality or internal condition of the free injectors and the fact that new injectors have much more reliable flow rates.

You're right about not knowing the size of the turbo. However, I made an assumption as to the ranges of turbos the op would be choosing given that I had little information at all from him. Usually when someone who doesn't know anything about turbos and just gives the standard "8 psi" goal you have a fairly good idea of what type of driveability they want.
              Last edited by Jarrett; 01-28-2014, 03:38 PM.

Comment

This is going to be daily driven. And the injectors are brand new. I am building everything I can to make it very reliable. Exactly I don't know what size turbo to run or anything like that. Cause noone ever goes over that I know I don't want to get to big of one or to small of one. I know how a turbo works but the exact stuff I should get there is little to no information on exactly how to build for the setup your looking for. Which is why I asked for any books available. On compression ratios and what not.

Comment

This - Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing and Installing Turbocharger Systems

There is alot of information on CB7Tuner, you just have to look for it, The answers are there.

Even the Sticky at the top of this forum has 2 seperate threads that could have answered your Turbo sizing question.

Look at other peoples MR threads, most will detail parts and reasons why they used them.

Heres 6 people right here:
                  Accord_SIR
                  bjaccord
                  DRQPQUT
                  Mozzandherb
                  Sordz
                  MR.PHIL

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Working...
                  X