Bushings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bushings...

So I'm finally gonna start overhauling my cars entire suspension. Within the next week or 2 I'll be ordering a master kit to do everything.

Has anyone ever done this? Pros/cons to full replacement vs stock parts?

Does the energy suspension master kit lack any parts that anyone knows of?

Gotta get bushings done first, any recommendations?

Goal

Springs, H&R sport or Eibach pro

Shocks koni yellow or bilstien HD

Oh btw this car in question is a 97 ex 4 door.

The bushings are harsh when installed all around. They get better with time, though. In addition to stiff coilovers, and a slightly larger rear sway bar (Vigor/CL 16mm), I've had front lower control arm bushings and front upper control arm bushings installed with urethane parts. The coilovers had pillow ball uppers which are way more stiff than any rubber or urethane every could be and the ride was generally harsh over bumps. Driving down the highway is not as comfortable as it once was because you can now feel every imperfections.

My new setup with Konis and Ground Controls with an even stiffer sway bar and even more bushings/pillow balls hasn't been driven yet. It's all just up to you. Just understand that there is no practical reason other than wanting the car to handle well to purchase urethane bushings. Don't believe anything you read about how "It's not that harsh." Whether all of that is still worth it to you is up to you. In my case, I have other things to drive daily and was not concerned with added stiffness.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Ill be using stocj sized rims (motegi traklite 15x6.5) wrapped in 195/60 tires (stick size) so the primary shock absorption from the tire will be there still.

The roads i live around arent bad but not all are good either .

Essentially EVERYTHING (always assume that) needs replaced, I just want all my ducks in a row for 1 high powered head shot.

My check list will be bushings to shocks to springs. Then its brakes time.

Thank you for the input as well its greatly appreciated. I work ALOT and whike I did a lot of research, i will still miss things. Any and all links will be read and appreciated greatly.

Edit
      Sway bar options would be welcome as well
      Last edited by MortsAccord; 06-10-2016, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Yep. I recommend Prothane master kit. Just make sure you grease them well and they will last you a while. On stock suspension, the poly bushings definitely help the car feel less floaty. I assume this helps with response on the koni/gc setup. I never had a chance to do a back to back comparison.

Invest in a press if you don't have one already.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
          Yep. I recommend Prothane master kit. Just make sure you grease them well and they will last you a while. On stock suspension, the poly bushings definitely help the car feel less floaty. I assume this helps with response on the koni/gc setup. I never had a chance to do a back to back comparison.

Invest in a press if you don't have one already.
          Heard about prothane bushings. Not sure how ES and Prothane compare to each other. Probably no real difference.

Presses, ugh. Heh. Any recommendations? Theres a harbor freight a short distance from my house, and the local stores have rent/loaner tools.

I prefer to do all my own work as I just dont trust anyone else , im sure some of us can side on that. Working production for years will do that to ya.

On a side note tho lol, I also skate alot, and urethanes do vary in quality, but usually not to the point whete it matters alot, or would matter in a car application. On skates, the urethane does a LOT of work and small rebound differences are easily felt. Best urethane is actually poured in Australia by an acquaintance of mine.

Comment

If you're wanting a press and you're considering those from Harbor Freight, I would strongly recommend the 20 ton model over the 12 ton. Even still, it wouldn't hurt to weld some of the mated joints on the bottom of the press. It's just too flimsy, in my opinion.

Sway bar options on these cars are fairly limited. The factory sway bar size for your car (as you have a '97) is 15mm. You could upgrade to a 16mm bar from a '92-'94 Vigor/'97-'01 CL/'95-'98 TL, but that would be a waste of time and money for negligible gains. Your three aftermarket options are the Suspension Techniques (21mm), Tanabe (20mm) and Progress (22mm).
            Last edited by Jarrett; 06-11-2016, 01:20 AM.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Thank you sir.

Not sure how much is too much and how much would be just right as front/rear pairing up would go. Thinking the 20mm rear might be the best option to keep things from getting too stiff. This wont be a track car, jiat a spirited grocery getter

Think a front sway is needed as a mod? Mines probably pretty rusted where the endlinks go heh, time sucks... Havent checked it out really.

I got a tub of valvoline syn power grease to go crazy with (2 actually ) and ill probably order up the graphite version of the ES master kit. Looks more stock, flashy stuff gets too much attention ^.^

Comment

You wont regret getting the 20 ton HF press over the 12 ton. Welding is not a bad thing like Jarret mentioned. But I've had mine for 7 years and never had issues with that. The arbor plates are the weakest parts. Like the pic below mine snapped not too long after purchasing. So I ended up getting some heavy duty arbor plates and they make life a lot easier.

Comment

Working...
                X