Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know where I can find a low-profile mechanical jack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if that's the reason my old jacks have all failed relatively quickly. Even when I was doing regular work on the CB, I wasn't jacking it up all that regularly. Once or twice a month at most, probably. I'd go months without using the jack at all (especially in the winter, since I have no garage, and no inclination to crawl around in the snow.)
    That's another argument in favor of a mechanical jack!

Most likely, I'll get HF's low-profile, long reach jack. Hopefully it'll be enough to reach the front crossmember and rear differential on the Miata, allowing me to jack it up from the center and place stands at the jack points.

I'll also probably design a makeshift version of the thing Tishock posted for my old Honda jacks, because that would REALLY come in handy.

Comment

If you are considering getting a hydraulic jack, take a look at the Arcan XL 3.5 ton from Northern Tool. I got mine for ~$200 or so about 5 years ago; it still works great. It gets used somewhat infrequently, but I've never had a problem with it. It picks up everything from my wife's 2007 Accord, to my 1988 3/4 crewcab pickup, no problem. You'll need to check if it's low profile enough for your needs, but for a jack with it's capacity, it's pretty low.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5429_200345429

EDIT: Just noticed the Arcan XL2T recommendation above. If it works anywhere as well as the 3.5 ton I have, it should be a great jack.
      Last edited by foamypirate; 07-18-2016, 02:43 PM.
      Originally posted by sweet91accord
      if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Tishock View Post
        When I just need set up my small jack stands. I use one of these on my scissor jack and then quickly raise the car with my drill. Also seen people just weld a lug nut at the end of the scissor jack.

Didn't know this was a thing you could buy.... if I ever use my scissor jack I use the hooked bar it comes with and put the hooked end on the jack and the straight end between some teeth on my drill lol.... free fast jack!

If at first you don't suceed, then skydiving is not for you.

I try not to down talk anyone, when I read my old questions I realize I was an idiot too.

Comment

I figured I could get an eye hook and a bolt... put the bolt through the eye hook and through the end of the jack. Lock two nuts on the eye bolt so that they're tight (but with all sides flush). Then just get a deep socket on there, and crank away! I'd probably use a ratchet. Slower... but I always seem to break things with power tools!

Comment

This is what I have.http://www.omegalift.com/ProductDeta...ack/29023B/763 Only 2-1/2" tall with long reach. It is hydraulic though

The problems I have had with hydraulic jacks is that they eventually leak fluid and won't work. Top them off with fluid and they work again. Also keep the gear clean and lubed so the handle can fully turn and close the valve, otherwise it slowly goes down. My jacks sit outside in the rain and still work fine. Just need a little maintenance from time to time.
            Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

I've refilled my Craftsman jack with no luck Once they start to leak, I've had no luck bringing any jack back to life.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
                If you are considering getting a hydraulic jack, take a look at the Arcan XL 3.5 ton from Northern Tool. I got mine for ~$200 or so about 5 years ago; it still works great. It gets used somewhat infrequently, but I've never had a problem with it. It picks up everything from my wife's 2007 Accord, to my 1988 3/4 crewcab pickup, no problem. You'll need to check if it's low profile enough for your needs, but for a jack with it's capacity, it's pretty low.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5429_200345429

EDIT: Just noticed the Arcan XL2T recommendation above. If it works anywhere as well as the 3.5 ton I have, it should be a great jack.
                They're very similar, but the XL2t is a little lower and longer than the XL35. Costco used to sell the XL35 for $99 back in 2008 or 09, then they switched to the XL30, and a few years ago they dropped it completely and switched to the aluminum low profile jack for $99. The aluminum one isn't as low as the XL35, but I would consider buying it over a comparable HF jack.

Originally posted by lucifer1 View Post
                This is what I have.http://www.omegalift.com/ProductDeta...ack/29023B/763 Only 2-1/2" tall with long reach. It is hydraulic though

The problems I have had with hydraulic jacks is that they eventually leak fluid and won't work. Top them off with fluid and they work again. Also keep the gear clean and lubed so the handle can fully turn and close the valve, otherwise it slowly goes down. My jacks sit outside in the rain and still work fine. Just need a little maintenance from time to time.
                How long have you had the omega and how do you like it? I've been wanting to buy it, but I didn't know anyone that owned it personally. I ended up buying the XL2t after my friend recommended it.

Comment

I just went out back today - both my jacks are gone, and my engine hoist is moved like 10 feet from where it used to be. People can fucking suck.

On topic, those vintage mechanical jacks usually run around 200 from what I'm seeing. And for 200 bucks you can get a pretty decent hydraulic one for sure.. I really do like that scissor jack tool. I might have to get one just to have it to show off.

Comment

I think I had a scissors type jack with a hex head fitting on it, but I don't know where it went. Honestly those jacks are terrifying, very unstable and I don't trust them to even change a tire. Floor jacks forever.

My buddy said he found a Span-on floor jack on craigslist for $40 and grabbed that up, he said he's never had a problem with it. In any case you can rebuild most jacks, search garage journal there's a few threads about it.

And most important of all, never get under a car that's not supported by jackstand, wood blocks, etc; some solid and stable way to support the vehicle. Never trust a jack to hold up a vehicle.
                    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Definitely. Jack stands go under my car whenever it goes up! I have two different pairs of stands now. I'm considering getting rid of them and getting 4 identical ones.

I'll check on rebuilding my craptsman. Maybe I won't need to buy anything at all! If I still have the thing...

Comment

Check these out, seems this particular member was some experience in this area.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=197787

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51105

I was planning on rebuilding my Torin Big Red floor jack, but my gf surprised me by getting me the HF jack for Christmas. Seems I'd been making quite the fuss over my leaky POS jack. I still have the Big Red and might rebuild it just to have an extra around.
                        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I wonder why so many people have problems with a craftsman jack? I bought mine for $120 back when I started working on my car (12 years ago?), I've done dozens of swaps and it's still working just fine. It occasionally leaks but I've never had to buy more than 1 bottle of jack oil - i've only filled and bled it less than 5 times, and replaced the O-rings once. Still works just fine, and I am not gentle on it. Can't imagine a harbor freight one would be any better - just cheaper for equivalent.

Make sure you leave the handle loosened when storing it, so the hydraulics are open inside.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

My Craftsman was purchased around the same time as yours, Mike (I think Christmas 2005... it was a gift from my ex.) Should've been about the same level of quality! I took care of it... moreso than pretty much any other tool I've ever owned (because it's the most expensive single tool I've ever owned.)

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                            Check these out, seems this particular member was some experience in this area.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=197787

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51105

I was planning on rebuilding my Torin Big Red floor jack, but my gf surprised me by getting me the HF jack for Christmas. Seems I'd been making quite the fuss over my leaky POS jack. I still have the Big Red and might rebuild it just to have an extra around.
                            Torin was the first brand that I had. It lasted longer than my Craftsman.

I'm really liking the long-reach, low-profile HF jack that's going for about $130. If I can't find an acceptable manual jack, and I decide not to bother fixing the old Crapsman, I'll likely get that.

Comment

I have a pittsburg low profile floor jack that I got on sale memorial day weekend, it's been great! lots of good reviews on it so we will see if it lives up to them... it was only $60 bucks on sale so I couldn't pass it up since I had to continueally borrow my father jack before then (he has an old craftsman from back when they were good tool manufacturers, 20+ years ago, and that jack has never let us down!)

If at first you don't suceed, then skydiving is not for you.

I try not to down talk anyone, when I read my old questions I realize I was an idiot too.

Comment

Man, $60 would be nice!

Comment

Working...
                                X