Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AT to MT: OK to reuse OE MT starter relay as 30A NSS relay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AT to MT: OK to reuse OE MT starter relay as 30A NSS relay?

This is a very stupid question but I just want confirmation so I can move on knowing it'll be right. Doing an auto to manual transmission swap on my 91 SE. I have the MT starter relay + wiring from my old 93 EX. I'm a huge fan of reusing Honda parts on other projects and wanted to use a Honda relay (Denso 056700-8570) for my neutral safety switch relay instead of aftermarket. This shouldn't be a problem right, or am I missing something? Couldn't find anything about this Denso relay being 30A. Thanks for the help!

Reference to what I'm doing: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showpost...46&postcount=3

personally, I try to reuse OEM relays for everything too. unfortunaely they are never labeled as blatantly as aftermarket ones, but as long as you have the original pigtail wiring that went with it, you can usually figure out the expected level of power it can handle by the size/diameter of the main wires coming out of the connector. a lot of times you'll find that the control wires are tiny, but the actual wires for the output are beefy/thicker gauge. Even the pins on the relay itself are actually enlarged. Those are pretty good indicators that the relay was used for something high current! Also, knowing specificially that the relay you are using originally came from the MT Starter circuit anyway, thats double-verification that it will be more than fine.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

^Mike, thanks very much. I was 99% sure it would work, just wanted that second opinion. It would be so much nicer if the OEM relays were labeled better. Yeah, the large ign. wires are 12 gauge while the ground + blk/grn are 20 gauge, big diff. there. Slightly OT but what OEM relays have you reused before?

Comment

No problem! Whenever I strip down a car (recently did a CD5!) I end up cutting and keeping just about every relay I find. I've also done similar in junkyards.

Interior relays - the ones under the dash or in the trunk for ABS - are actually very slimline and are my favorite for most stuff. The ones from under the hood are usually the bigger plastic rounded ones, more annoying to work with but are usually beefier since they were intended for engine components, not small accessories like the defroster.

If you want some crazy relays that are labelled very well, look for a Nissan. The engine bay has an entire relay block full of Dual pole / multi position relays that are usually pretty specialized and hard to find otherwise. Best part? They have the wiring diagram imprinted right on the top.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

^Thank you again, as always great info I will def. look into those suggestions esp. Nissan. Nice CD5, was that Dave's old car?

Comment

Working...
          X