No announcement yet.

That dodge Demon tho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah the Demon was a package for the Dart and the Twister was the plymouth version offered for the Duster. Hardly a performance package but rather a decal kit much like the Grabber package for the Mavericks since both the Demon and Twister could be had with 6 cylinder engines and the 340CI being the best engine offered on the platform from factory could be had without said kits.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
      They left the cage out of the car because it was too expensive to re cert the impact testing. It's also not safe to drive a caged car without a helmet, so selling a street car with a cage is down right dangerous. Not everybody who buys one is not going to take it to the drag strip.

Also, don't compare a Cobra Jet to a Demon, compare it to a Drag Pak which has been running 8s for years. Being street legal isn't the only difference. The Demon is a real car with HVAC, entertainment, comfortable seats, and other street car stuff. The Cobra Jet and Drag Pak are straight up race cars.
      It's also not safe to race a 9-second car on the street, which most owners will do because they can't take it to the track... don't lie, you know that's what many will buy it for, just keep an eye on YouTube.

That's exactly my point, though. If the Demon had a cage, it wouldn't be street legal, and all that creature comfort junk wouldn't exist simply because it's pointless when you won't be driving it on the street to use it.

But you want a more fair comparison to the Demon's streetability paired with a quarter mile time? Price aside, what about all these. Several of them perform very well in areas other than straight lines, too.

2013 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse - 9.9
      2015 Hennessey Challenger SRT Hellcat HPE1000 - 9.9
      2015 Hennessey Charger SRT Hellcat HPE1000 - 9.9
      2014 Porsche 918 Spyder - 9.9
      2006 Ultima GTR 720 - 9.9
      2007 SSC Ultimate Aero TT - 9.9
      2016 Hennessey Camaro HPE1000 - 9.8
      2014 Ferrari LaFerrari - 9.7
      2014 Hennessey Corvette Stingray HPE1000 - 9.7
      2011 Veyron Super Sport - 9.6
      2002 Hennessey Dodge Viper Venom 1000TT - 9.4
      2016 Hennessey Venom GT Spyder - 9.4
      2002 Chevrolet Corvette (Lingenfelter 427 Twin Turbo) - 9.1

http://www.zeroto60times.com/fastest...imes/show/100/

The Demon's cheap because power is cheap, and that's the only "special" aspect of the car. The fact that Joe Schmoe can take his SRT-8 or Hellcat and beef up the engine to run 9s is proof enough there's no real R&D needed to make reliable power these days. But when you look at cars like the Veyron SS and LaFerrari, again ignoring price because of the amount of engineering that goes into the entire car (after all, I can buy a standard Challenger and make it run 9s for less money than a Demon), you get a much more complete package.
      Last edited by CyborgGT; 04-23-2017, 08:40 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
        I have to say that what surprised me about the re-release of a Dodge Demon was that it was not based on a Dart like the original Demon, but then again the performance potential was higher in the non compact vehicle and they already had used names from 3 previous different platforms to offer different models based on the Chrysler 300.
        Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
        yeah the Demon was a package for the Dart and the Twister was the plymouth version offered for the Duster. Hardly a performance package but rather a decal kit much like the Grabber package for the Mavericks since both the Demon and Twister could be had with 6 cylinder engines and the 340CI being the best engine offered on the platform from factory could be had without said kits.
        Someone knows the roots. Nice!

I really like the old Dart, the Duster and the old Demon. Old Mopars are $$$ though. For that reason I'd opt for a Scamp by Plymouth.

Edit... on second thought my bad, my bad. I know it's coming. But before it does, let me say I apologize for the off topic. My mistake. I'm bad about that. Carry on everyone.
        Last edited by H311RA151N; 04-23-2017, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
          Someone knows the roots. Nice!

I really like the old Dart, the Duster and the old Demon. Old Mopars are $$$ though. For that reason I'd opt for a Scamp by Plymouth.
          Scamp aka Dart swinger? Lol I live for old cars bro, I have been waiting for a Coronet or satellite to enter my life(mainly because i cannot afford a barraduda). With this last F&F movie mark my word that the 71+ mopar prices will soar due to that GTX from the movie. B and E bodies for me have to have no less than a 440, i leave the small blocks to the A bodies; although 340 barracudas and challenger were also remarkably fast.

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
            It's also not safe to race a 9-second car on the street, which most owners will do because they can't take it to the track... don't lie, you know that's what many will buy it for, just keep an eye on YouTube.

That's exactly my point, though. If the Demon had a cage, it wouldn't be street legal, and all that creature comfort junk wouldn't exist simply because it's pointless when you won't be driving it on the street to use it.

But you want a more fair comparison to the Demon's streetability paired with a quarter mile time? Price aside, what about all these. Several of them perform very well in areas other than straight lines, too.

2013 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse - 9.9
            2015 Hennessey Challenger SRT Hellcat HPE1000 - 9.9
            2015 Hennessey Charger SRT Hellcat HPE1000 - 9.9
            2014 Porsche 918 Spyder - 9.9
            2006 Ultima GTR 720 - 9.9
            2007 SSC Ultimate Aero TT - 9.9
            2016 Hennessey Camaro HPE1000 - 9.8
            2014 Ferrari LaFerrari - 9.7
            2014 Hennessey Corvette Stingray HPE1000 - 9.7
            2011 Veyron Super Sport - 9.6
            2002 Hennessey Dodge Viper Venom 1000TT - 9.4
            2016 Hennessey Venom GT Spyder - 9.4
            2002 Chevrolet Corvette (Lingenfelter 427 Twin Turbo) - 9.1

http://www.zeroto60times.com/fastest...imes/show/100/

The Demon's cheap because power is cheap, and that's the only "special" aspect of the car. The fact that Joe Schmoe can take his SRT-8 or Hellcat and beef up the engine to run 9s is proof enough there's no real R&D needed to make reliable power these days. But when you look at cars like the Veyron SS and LaFerrari, again ignoring price because of the amount of engineering that goes into the entire car (after all, I can buy a standard Challenger and make it run 9s for less money than a Demon), you get a much more complete package.
            I think domesticated would probably argue that the engine isn't all that the Demon has going for it, seeing as he works as a vehicle dynamics engineer for Chrysler.

I'd argue that the Hennessey cars are all just modified (therefore "aftermarket") vehicles. One could say that with modification, and enough money, you could make any car do damn near anything. I wouldn't call those factory cars. MAYBE the Venom GT, as that's so heavily modified that it hardly resembles the Lotus that it started as. The rest are just big-boy versions of what we all do to our own cars.
            Same goes for Lingenfelter.

SSC and Ultima are such low-production specialty vehicles that they hardly classify as "production vehicles" in my book.

That pretty much leaves the 7-figure LaFerrari, 918, and Veyron on the table as legitimate "factory" vehicles. As factory vehicles, all three are genuine super/hyper cars. You could get 10+ Demons for the price of one.

That being said, the Demon is still little different than the Hennessey and Lingenfelter cars. The only difference is that the people that modified a run of the mill Challenger were the same folks that made the Challenger in the first place. It's still just "hey, we have a car... let's put go-fast parts on it!"
            While the Demon could hang with supercars and hypercars, at least in a straight line, it still lacks the purpose-built, pure performance aspect. A Demon is a heavily modified Challenger. A LaFerrari is a LaFerrari. There is no lesser model. The LaFerrari didn't come from something mundane. A LaFerrari is a LaFerrari. Period.
            Of course, people don't buy a LaFerrari to take to the local drag strip. Most people that buy those top-tier hypercars don't even drive them. I guarantee in 2026, you'll see 2016 LaFerraris for sale for $8,000,000... with less than 2,000 miles on the odometer. Folks who buy a Dodge Demon... well, they buy it to drive it. They buy it to drive the piss out of it.

And yes, if you do the work yourself, and you work out all the kinks, you could probably make a run of the mill Challenger perform as well as a Demon for a good deal less. Pick up a clean V6 Challenger for $15,000. Drop $10,000 into suspension (upgrade and refresh) and chassis stiffening (I may be allotting too much, but let's swing wide.) Let's take the easy way to 850hp... a Hellcat crate engine ($20,000 roughly), and the Hennessey HPE850 upgrade for about $5000. $25,000, and you have an 850hp powerplant. Drop another $10,000 or so into installation and a beefed up rear end. $5,000 on beefy rear wheels and tires. $5000 on beefy brakes.
            Now we're at about $70,000. $15,000 less than the Demon's assumed starting price. That is, of course, without any of the aesthetic bits that come with the Demon. I bet if you wanted to turn your basic Challenger into a Demon, you could VERY easily drop an additional $15,000 to do so. Then you have a Demon clone that costs as much as a Demon... but with a few years and a few extra tens of thousands of miles on the odometer. Not to mention a factory car is almost always going to be more reliable than a custom job, unless the custom builder is incredibly meticulous (and that will often raise costs.)
            I started typing this expecting to "build" a wannabe Demon for around $50,000. I suppose it could be done, but the route I chose put me damn near the cost of the real deal.

Comment

When it comes to Chrysler 300 based cars i am not surprised of the acceleration or 1/4 mile times but rather that they can stop in a reasonable distance concidering how freaking heavy them things are. Funny thing is that a 68 coronet hardtop sedan weights less than a Challenger does, hell actually even the wagon model weights less.

Comment

Those old things will crumple like an empty beer can when hit, too. The new cars will take a hit and the driver will walk away! The new 300-based cars are indeed heavy beasties, though. Fitting for building a muscle car. The Camaro and Mustang have kept weight down quite a bit, but something about the sheer mass of the Charger and Challenger make them better muscle cars to me. If I wanted to hit a twisty track, I'd pick a Mustang or Challenger. If I wanted to feel my face peel away from my skull when I mashed the gas, I'd pick a Hellcat or Demon.

Or I'll stick to my wheezy little Miata that can't get out of its own way.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  Those old things will crumple like an empty beer can when hit, too. The new cars will take a hit and the driver will walk away! The new 300-based cars are indeed heavy beasties, though. Fitting for building a muscle car. The Camaro and Mustang have kept weight down quite a bit, but something about the sheer mass of the Charger and Challenger make them better muscle cars to me. If I wanted to hit a twisty track, I'd pick a Mustang or Challenger. If I wanted to feel my face peel away from my skull when I mashed the gas, I'd pick a Hellcat or Demon.

Or I'll stick to my wheezy little Miata that can't get out of its own way.
                  They might crumple and break but what untimately kills is getting ejected since there is no seat belts on those things either. I just read thru the whole thing again and scratch the braking distances comment, if anything im surprised to hear chrysler has an aerodynamics department . Deeve i have to say that given the size of miatas it certainly feels alot bigger when sitting inside. In all seriousness though, the Hellcat and 300 based Demon will give folks a thrill for all those who can afford the hefty price tag.

Comment

Deev, you hit the nail on the head. You understand the Demon perfectly.

Cyborg, to say making big power reliable takes no engineering is false. The demon has a completely reworked engine compared to the Hellcat. It's like 95% reengineered parts. Show me any other vehicle that makes that much power and comes with a 60k warranty.

If you want to go to the track fuss free, buy an SRT. Don't want heat soak? Don't buy a Ford or GM. We don't have caveats to our vehicles. Track use doesn't void warranty.
                    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

That pretty much leaves the 7-figure LaFerrari, 918, and Veyron on the table as legitimate "factory" vehicles. As factory vehicles, all three are genuine super/hyper cars. You could get 10+ Demons for the price of one.
                      Those cars are also engineered ten times over what the Demon is. They do everything, not just go fast in a straight line. Power might be the same, but the suspension, aero, interior, etc, are all built to an equally high standard. The Demon's interior is not built to the same luxury as that of a comparably priced Mercedes, for example. "Oh, but the Mercedes isn't nearly as fast," you'll say. "But it still does speed really well, and the Demon's not nearly as nice to be in on a long drive." The majority of manufacturers that are interested putting Demon power in their cars are also interested in putting as much attention into other aspects of it. What's the profit margin on the Demon? There's obviously a set build budget for the car, but it seems all of the excess over a normal Challenger has been put into the drag-spec engine/suspension. Yes, neither the Merc or the Demon are built for the same purpose; it's all about where they choose to put that money. But if you had bar graphs displaying the different aspects of the cars, the Merc would have a fairly even row of fairly high bars, whereas the Challenger's would be really high on the power, less on the suspension, and then considerably lower on everything else.

I'm just trying to say that if your going to say, "name another car with that power for that money" every time you bring up the Demon, and dog on supercars for their high price, it's not a fair call-out when those supercars do more than just outright speed. They could build a single-purpose car with cheaper materials on everything that didn't cater to that one purpose for a lower end cost if they cared to. Every Veyron sold is supposedly still at a multi-million-dollar loss for VW.

Sure, if all you care about it that straight line, the Demon is one of your options at $85k or whatever it costs - one of the best options, no question. This whole "9-second car but isn't track legal" thing is what's got me so annoyed. It's effectively Dodge saying, "we purposefully designed a car you can't use anywhere but the street just so we can brag about street car numbers." Numbers that happen only on the perfect surface of a track. The car's a juxtaposition. I understand that the Demon was only ever meant to be a drag racer that you can drive to the store, and everything you do get for the money is fantastic if that dragster is what you're after, I just think that it either wasn't thought out completely, or Dodge was too cheap to finish the job. Domesticated, your earlier comment on leaving out the cage because of the cost of crash test recertification has me scratching my head even more. So, what, "we made the car faster, but didn't bother with matching the safety?" That inspires confidence. There are enough GT-Rs on the road to prove that a bit of a price hike to get that crash cert wouldn't hurt sales.

That being said, the Demon is still little different than the Hennessey and Lingenfelter cars. The only difference is that the people that modified a run of the mill Challenger were the same folks that made the Challenger in the first place. It's still just "hey, we have a car... let's put go-fast parts on it!"
                      While the Demon could hang with supercars and hypercars, at least in a straight line, it still lacks the purpose-built, pure performance aspect. A Demon is a heavily modified Challenger. A LaFerrari is a LaFerrari. There is no lesser model. The LaFerrari didn't come from something mundane. A LaFerrari is a LaFerrari. Period.
                      That was what I was getting at by not omitting cars like the Hennesseys. Dodge took a lesser chassis and modified it to try and match cars above its class. It is the same thing, no matter how much that engine is changed over its old configuration.

And just because something is low production and you don't agree with it being considered a "factory" car because of it, doesn't make it not so. Factory is factory. SSC and the like build cars from the ground up, they just don't make as many of them because they're not going to be sold as commonly as a Camry. They're not based on cars that are already sold at high volume and have the production line infrastructure, either, as with the Demon. Is the Demon going to be as high-volume as the Hellcat? I've heard only 3,300 between the US and Canada. Aren't the Hellcats about three or four times that per model year?

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
                      Cyborg, to say making big power reliable takes no engineering is false. The demon has a completely reworked engine compared to the Hellcat. It's like 95% reengineered parts. Show me any other vehicle that makes that much power and comes with a 60k warranty.

If you want to go to the track fuss free, buy an SRT. Don't want heat soak? Don't buy a Ford or GM. We don't have caveats to our vehicles. Track use doesn't void warranty.
                      Power can still be built reliably from a performance shop for less. Mopars are notoriously expensive to modify, but there are cheaper cars to work with. LS7 crate engine with an LS9 supercharger nets the same power for $21k or so. Stick it in an older, used LS-powered GM product. LS swaps are so popular because they're known for reliability. Meanwhile: http://www.hellcat.org/threads/hellc...n-issues.2502/

You need to install a cage (and I'm assuming some other safety equipment) to even get a Demon onto a track. Does installing that equipment - that Fiat-Chrysler upper Tim Kuniskis himself says Dodge will never offer - void the warranty?
                      Last edited by CyborgGT; 04-24-2017, 02:25 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

My 4000hp CTS-V is knocking on 12's door. You would have to launch a Demon in 4th to keep from breaking out of the 13s!
                        I bet most tracks will turn an uncaged Demon away on sight. They're automatic, and they come with drag radials from the factory. Even if you do something stupid, you'd still probably pull an 11.0. Unless things have changed, anything under 12 at my track requires a cage, I believe.
                        I have been to the track once. My friend was running 13's but getting faster every run and they warned him he needs a helmet to run 12's. I think. That was about 15 years ago so the rules and my memory may have changed.
                        ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                          Those cars are also engineered ten times over what the Demon is. They do everything, not just go fast in a straight line. Power might be the same, but the suspension, aero, interior, etc, are all built to an equally high standard. The Demon's interior is not built to the same luxury as that of a comparably priced Mercedes, for example. "Oh, but the Mercedes isn't nearly as fast," you'll say. "But it still does speed really well, and the Demon's not nearly as nice to be in on a long drive." The majority of manufacturers that are interested putting Demon power in their cars are also interested in putting as much attention into other aspects of it. What's the profit margin on the Demon? There's obviously a set build budget for the car, but it seems all of the excess over a normal Challenger has been put into the drag-spec engine/suspension. Yes, neither the Merc or the Demon are built for the same purpose; it's all about where they choose to put that money. But if you had bar graphs displaying the different aspects of the cars, the Merc would have a fairly even row of fairly high bars, whereas the Challenger's would be really high on the power, less on the suspension, and then considerably lower on everything else.

I'm just trying to say that if your going to say, "name another car with that power for that money" every time you bring up the Demon, and dog on supercars for their high price, it's not a fair call-out when those supercars do more than just outright speed. They could build a single-purpose car with cheaper materials on everything that didn't cater to that one purpose for a lower end cost if they cared to. Every Veyron sold is supposedly still at a multi-million-dollar loss for VW.

Sure, if all you care about it that straight line, the Demon is one of your options at $85k or whatever it costs - one of the best options, no question. This whole "9-second car but isn't track legal" thing is what's got me so annoyed. It's effectively Dodge saying, "we purposefully designed a car you can't use anywhere but the street just so we can brag about street car numbers." Numbers that happen only on the perfect surface of a track. The car's a juxtaposition. I understand that the Demon was only ever meant to be a drag racer that you can drive to the store, and everything you do get for the money is fantastic if that dragster is what you're after, I just think that it either wasn't thought out completely, or Dodge was too cheap to finish the job. Domesticated, your earlier comment on leaving out the cage because of the cost of crash test recertification has me scratching my head even more. So, what, "we made the car faster, but didn't bother with matching the safety?" That inspires confidence. There are enough GT-Rs on the road to prove that a bit of a price hike to get that crash cert wouldn't hurt sales.

That was what I was getting at by not omitting cars like the Hennesseys. Dodge took a lesser chassis and modified it to try and match cars above its class. It is the same thing, no matter how much that engine is changed over its old configuration.

And just because something is low production and you don't agree with it being considered a "factory" car because of it, doesn't make it not so. Factory is factory. SSC and the like build cars from the ground up, they just don't make as many of them because they're not going to be sold as commonly as a Camry. They're not based on cars that are already sold at high volume and have the production line infrastructure, either, as with the Demon. Is the Demon going to be as high-volume as the Hellcat? I've heard only 3,300 between the US and Canada. Aren't the Hellcats about three or four times that per model year?

Power can still be built reliably from a performance shop for less. Mopars are notoriously expensive to modify, but there are cheaper cars to work with. LS7 crate engine with an LS9 supercharger nets the same power for $21k or so. Stick it in an older, used LS-powered GM product. LS swaps are so popular because they're known for reliability. Meanwhile: http://www.hellcat.org/threads/hellc...n-issues.2502/

You need to install a cage (and I'm assuming some other safety equipment) to even get a Demon onto a track. Does installing that equipment - that Fiat-Chrysler upper Tim Kuniskis himself says Dodge will never offer - void the warranty?
                          The Demon does offer a few things over the supercars. It's designed to be regularly driven, for one. Ferrari offers an unlimited mileage warranty for 3 years (with the option to purchase additional years afterward.) Dodge offers a 60,000 mile warranty on the Demon. If folks drove a Ferrari like they do a Dodge, it would be a closer comparison. But Ferraris largely stay safely garaged. Mileage decreases their value.
                          Which brings me to the next point: depreciation. A Ferrari that isn't bubble-wrapped and vacuum sealed is going to take a huge hit on depreciation. The initial price of the Ferrari, and the cost of maintaining and repairing one, would result in a $300,000 car (random number, I don't have a specific model in mind) being worth no more than half that in 5 years. A Demon, just out of warranty, would probably sell for about $50,000 (we'll see in 4-5 years!) Sure, that's still close to half the purchase price, as with the Ferrari... but it's a hit of $35,000, not $150,000. If you plan on driving your ridiculous powerhouse, rather than hiding it away and bringing it out only for high-end shows, then Dodge is the brand to choose.
                          Supercars are indeed designed to perform all around. Crazy power, coupled with handling and aerodynamics that keep the car, and the power, on the ground where it belongs. A large portion of those cars NEVER see track duty, sadly. They never actually use that power. Largely because of the prohibitive price. The Demon requires modification that would make it unsafe as a street vehicle to race on a drag strip. Supercars require putting your insanely expensive car at risk of damage on a track. Therefore, you're unlikely to see either one on a drag strip, unless the owner is ok with doing something unusual (un-streeting a Demon, or devaluing an investment.)
                          That being said, the average driver... hell, the above average driver... probably couldn't come anywhere near full utilization of a supercar's abilities on a road course. The average driver probably couldn't exceed the limits of a mundane V6 Challenger, honestly! While I do absolutely agree that supercars would outhandle a Demon, that's largely an academic argument. It assumes the handling capabilities of both the supercars and the Demon could be fully realized on a track setting, which would be highly unlikely for the majority of the people that purchase such cars. In the hands of professional racers, or at the very least guys that have competitive amateur racers for a number of years, the difference may be notable. For the average supercar-owning CEO, or the slightly-above-average-Joe that would buy a Demon, neither would be able to come close to realizing each car's full capabilities. Either owner, after getting comfortable behind the wheel, likely stands an equal chance of beating the other in a race on a road course in either car. At 20% utilization, I'd say either a supercar or the Demon would be theoretically equal.
                          Also, the people that would buy a Demon aren't cross-shopping Ferraris, most likely. Well, maybe used Ferraris (and honestly, regardless of speed, a $100,000 used Ferrari and an $85,000 Demon say VERY different things to the world, and they offer very different experiences.) The people interested in a Demon probably aren't quite as interested in a curvy or wedge-shaped Italian car. They're interested in a fire-breathing American brick on wheels. They are also more interested in bragging about having massive engine power than they are about having a car with a massive price tag (others are happy to brag about their massive price tag. "More than you can afford, pal!")

I'd argue the interior luxury of supercars, though. Have you seen the interior of a LaFerrari? Spartan. It's a borderline race car. Sure, it uses carbon fiber, suede, and I'm sure every bit of plastic is the finest plastic you can get. Fitment is probably superb (though Ferrari hasn't always been known for interiors that go together and stay together reliably...) Still, a LaFerrari would probably be uncomfortable after an hour's drive. The Demon would likely be quite comfortable.
                          Comparing it to Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc... is a better direction. You're right that if you're paying $85,000 for a car, you could be looking into more luxurious offerings. An extra $15,000 or so would get you into a Mercedes-AMG E63. That gives you a far more luxurious car, with around 600hp, and a curb weight that exceeds the Demon's by about 300lbs. Heavier car, 250hp deficit, higher price. More luxury, agreed... but shoppers interested in the current American showroom muscle car king aren't likely looking to sacrifice power for luxury.
                          For $25,000 to $45,000 more, you could get an Audi RS7. Again, 600hp (or less), and a heavier car.
                          Looking at the other end of the spectrum, you could spend the same $85,000 for a Cadillac CTS-V. 200lbs lighter, with a 210hp deficit. Likely more luxurious. Possibly more capable (the CTS-V can handle quite well, though we have yet to see what the Demon can actually do.)

There are many reasons not to buy a Demon. There are a number of reasons TO buy a Demon, though. If you want an aggressive car that makes brag-worthy power, the Demon is the car to get. It's in a class of its own, in many ways. You simply cannot buy a car so powerful for the Demon's price. Nothing else looks like a Demon (except a Hellcat... or Grandpa's Challenger... )
                          If you ask a Demon buyer why they got that instead of an E63 or M5, they'll likely give you very valid reasons why.

Comment

Also, you keep regarding cost invested in suspension. A Ferrari uses the same adaptive dampers SRT does. And the tuning is just as intricate. Just because it doesn't handle like a Ferrari didn't mean the money and engineering wasn't invested. It's cost just over 3k to replace the shocks in an SRT. Not including taxes and such. As far as the Demon, an immense amount of time was spent tuning it to be safe and comfortable to daily while being perfect on the track. If you talk to race car drivers who have driven a handful of supercars and driven the Demon, they are impressed with the Demon.
                            '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

It really is a bargain for what you get, assuming what you get is what you're looking for. A Demon, while having more prestige than pretty much any other non-Viper Dodge or Chrysler product, is still "a Dodge" to many badge snobs. To those people, a low cost and a badge lacking prestige wouldn't be interesting. For people that drool over oldschool muscle, the Demon is the epitome of what was started in the 60s. "Small" chassis (as in, shortened 300/Charger), "light weight" (it's lighter than the Hellcat), and shit-your-pants power. I'm sure it handles well, though it'll never outhandle a Ferrari or a Porsche, I'm sure. But people aren't buying it because they want to autocross it. Most people will likely never take it to a track. They'll just rip around on the highway, grinning as they feed $10 worth of 93 octane into their engine in about 5 seconds.

My CTS-V can handle. It has a pretty advanced suspension system, especially for mid-2000s GM. I rarely push it in corners. It shrinks in size when I do, but it's a heavy car. I have a Miata to toss into corners (and tires are WAY cheaper and last longer on that little thing.) Just as I don't push my CTS-V to its handling limits... ever... I doubt anyone with a Demon will even try. Or a new CTS-V. Or an E63. Or an RS7.
                              I doubt many people will ever truly take advantage of the power those cars bring to the table more than a few times in the whole time they own the cars. I can't tell you the last time I went flat out in my Cadillac.

Race-worthy handling, 600-850hp... it's more for bragging rights than anything else for 90% of owners. Otherwise, people like their cars for other reasons. Supercars are treasured for their brand prestige and potentially increasing value (unlike most cars, a supercar can actually be an investment). More conventional cars are appreciated for their ability to actually BE cars. If the Demon weighed under 4000lbs and was track legal, but lacked creature comforts... I doubt it would sell as well as I anticipate it to as it is now.

Comment

My 4000hp CTS-V is knocking on 12's door. You would have to launch a Demon in 4th to keep from breaking out of the 13s!
                                Only knocking on 12s with 4000 HP?
                                Originally posted by sweet91accord
                                if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X