Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: ENG: manual transmission drain/refill

things needed:
    -2 quarts of Honda Manual Transmission Fluid or the equivalent (note: H22 transmissions may require more than 2 quarts)
    -17mm socket wrench or regular wrench
    -3/8 drive wrench
    -new crush washers

first you want to remove the 17mm filler bolt. it is located behind the axle and it has an aluminum crush washer on it. it's a good idea to spray around the holes with brake cleaner to remove grease and dirt that may fall into the hole when the bolt is removed.

you should replace the crush washer every time you take the bolts off. you can reuse them if you have to, but i don't like to, they are like cheap insurance. the crush washer does 2 things: 1) they make a seal when they crush and take the shape of the bolt and housing and 2) that crushing action helps to protect the threads from being damaged due to over tightening.

next, remove the drain bolt. it has a 3/8 square notched into it. you need only a 3/8 socket wrench to remove it (no socket needed). it too has an aluminum crush washer. it is located under the axle.

let it drain and the re-install the drain bolt (remember you don't have to tighten it real tight, keep in mind your putting a steel bolt into an aluminum housing). to fill it back up, you need a funnel and a rubber tube. i use a clear tube, so i can see it going in. fill until fluid comes out of the fill hole (aprox. 2 quarts). make sure the car is level.

then re-install the filler bolt, start it up and look for leaks, and your ready to ride. later.
    Last edited by TypeG; 03-10-2010, 11:24 PM.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

holla@it

Comment

thanks man you da shiznit i been needin to do that. this should be stickied

btw... wow a dirty spot on TypeG 's whip lol
      Last edited by blazenem; 11-30-2006, 11:04 PM.

Ride List
      1990 Accord dx coupe - my baby (dsm turbo set up in progress) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3202853
      2005 Mazda 6s - daily driver http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3171724(totaled)
      newest 2006 mazdaspeed 6 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4073987/2006-mazda-mazda6

Comment

thank TypeG..... perfect writeup.
        I'll be doing this soon.... but I think I read somewhere that H22 trannsmissions take a bit more fluid than F22. I think cp[mike] has the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by blazenem
          btw... wow a dirty spot on TypeG 's whip lol
          haha, well it was clean before the oil leak.

phempa- good note. i think i've heard that too. i edited it into the first post. llater.

Comment

nice write up for the noobs..

did you use the new Honda manual transmission fluid??
            .............................-----------------93 Ex Coupe[/COLOR]-----------------

My CD7

Comment

nah, i used the old stuff. i asked for the new stuff, but the guy has never heard of it. i told him it had a green lable ect, ect. one of my freinds is a tech there and he's also never heard of it. i'll just have to wait for technology to catch up i guess. later.

Comment

I wanna do this.

But where do I go about getting new Crush Washers?

Another stupid question. How do you fill it back up? Where does it go?

Like when you drain oil, you put the oil plug back on, and you put the new oil through the valve cover. Is there somewhere to put manual trans. fluid that I don't know about?

I feel so stupid. Plus it's late, have a headache, and can't think straight.

:::Jeremy

P.S. I've never changed Trans. fluid before.

[ My Car Domian ] - [ My Members Ride Thread ] - [ Facebook ]

My Top CB7Tuners :

TypeG
                aww_shiet
                91accordexr33

Comment

Originally posted by LordXaero
                  But where do I go about getting new Crush Washers?
                  you get them at the dealership. you can find aluminum washers at auto parts stores, but you don't have the assurance they will fit.

Another stupid question. How do you fill it back up? Where does it go?
                  look at the first pic. the filler bolt is the one that the 17mm wrench is on.

Is there somewhere to put manual trans. fluid that I don't know about?
                  you put it in the filler bolt hole when the filler bolt is remove and the drain bolt installed. you can use a funnel and add it from the top with the aid of a rubber tube. later.

Comment

Yo Type G. Once again, I couldn't thank you enough.

I had to bring my car to my friends who work at Jiffy Lube so they could break the top bolt.

Other than that, everything went well, and I can't tell you how smooth my trans shifts now. I'm even running that new Honda Trans. Fluid.

Thanks alot.

:::Jeremy

[ My Car Domian ] - [ My Members Ride Thread ] - [ Facebook ]

My Top CB7Tuners :

TypeG
                    aww_shiet
                    91accordexr33

Comment

you can also use regular 10w30 oil as well
                      a good way of getting the fluid in it to go to napa or some auto parts store and get a fluid transfer pump
                      its easier because it can be upside down and may not be as hard to pour in as the funnel, but whatever does the job

Comment

ask and you will recive,ya I asked about this a while agoe.
                        thanxs for the Diy.I need it done
                        1991 Sedan

click image for MRT
                        -Nava

Comment

Originally posted by slammed90ex-r
                          you can also use regular 10w30 oil as well
                          a good way of getting the fluid in it to go to napa or some auto parts store and get a fluid transfer pump
                          its easier because it can be upside down and may not be as hard to pour in as the funnel, but whatever does the job
                          you can, but its shitty.

use some kind of MTF. 10x better than any motor oil.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

in my opinion, is easier to fill the tranny at the top, threw that small hole.
                            if you got something smart to say, guess what, i dont care.

Comment

Originally posted by japspecb7
                              in my opinion, is easier to fill the tranny at the top, threw that small hole.
                              Can you do that without any problems?

Will's Accord

Comment

Working...
                              X