Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

92 EX A/T shifting problems. TCU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping a TCU shouldn't be more than $5 or so. It's a pretty small, lightweight part.

Comment

ok thanks. what i am thinking is getting this one i found so long as it's a good part and then fixing the one that's in there now so i have one i can swap back out if i need to. ya know keep fixing the two i will have so i don't have to buy anymore.
      1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
      1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
      1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
      1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

Comment

so i finally opened up my TCU and found no damage. i'm at a loss here. if it shows no damage is it still bad? if it's not what else would reset for over a week when i pull the back up fuse to reset codes?

Last edited by Honda_Lady; 09-23-2011, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Sometimes it takes awhile for codes to come back an for the computer to store them.Always good to reset them once or twice to see if it's just a flook or bad connections.Seems to me your TCU is telling you exactly what your issues are so i would atleast look into replacing shift solenoid A before anything else.
          My car has the same issue(But it will shift).I can reset it, but once i go to about half throttle it will come back.If i don't it stays away,but if i were you id assume the TCU is doing it's job an solenoid A is showing signs of completely failing soon but for now works unpredictably off an on.

02 Crv
          02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
          92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
          Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

ok SOHC-FTW. thanks for your input. before i replace the solenoids i am going to clean them and reset the computer and then see what happens. if i need to replace the solenoids i will. should i go with new ones or can i go to a junk yard for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Honda_Lady View Post
              ok SOHC-FTW. thanks for your input. before i replace the solenoids i am going to clean them and reset the computer and then see what happens. if i need to replace the solenoids i will. should i go with new ones or can i go to a junk yard for them?
              Totally your call on that one me personally would try ebay an see if any are roaming around on there or a JY.Never bought a new one so i really don't know how much of a price difference it would be.Call a few local auto parts stores an get a price check.

02 Crv
              02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
              92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
              Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

The junkyard would be cheaper, but there's no guarantee that they're going to be any better than what you have. It could be worth a shot if the extra time and money is worth the risk of getting bad parts. I do that myself with ignition coils and igniters... I can pick up 3 of each for a fraction of the cost of just one replacement, and I always seem to find at least one that works... for a time, anyway.

If you're still narrowing down the problem, I'd say a few junkyard replacements might be worthwhile... just to see if the solenoids are indeed the problem. Once you identify it for sure, you can always buy new... knowing you're paying good money for a part that will actually fix the problem.

Comment

ok thank you both so very much. i will start off by cleaning them real good and go from there. once i see if it is actually the shift solenoids i will start with buying several junk yard ones and if that fixes the problem i will most likely go with new ones so i don't have to worry about replacing them for a lot longer lol

Comment

Yeah, they've lasted 20 years already, so if you buy new they should outlast the rest of the car!

Comment

the price for a new shift solenoid isn't too bad actually. and yea your probably right lol the new shift solenoids will last longer the the car lmao!!

Comment

so today i cleaned the shift solenoids. i guess i will see how it acts over the next day or so.

Comment

Did you ever figure this out? My brother got a CB7 so I did too. Auto for now yuck, but the code is Kick down switch circuit shorted. Reading through here I’m still stumped. It kicks down when pushing the throttle. It’s only recently started and jerks when shifting each time. It does have 450k miles on it so it’s old but she still goes strong.

Comment

Greetings, I have a 93 Accord with an automatic transmission and I have learned a few things over the years that I believed have kept it working. I desoldered and soldered the TCU board. I replaced the shift solenoids. I also noticed the green connectors for the solenoids were black from arching at the white portion of the connector. So I used heat solder shrink to fit connectors and bypassed the pigtails. I struggled with a haunting lock and unlocking at 45-50 mph. I finally discovered it was throttle and shift cable adjustments! I always change tranny fluid with Honda fluid religiously. Trans is working great now with 265,000 miles on her.

Comment

Working...
                            X