No announcement yet.

Resonator on a 3" exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's why I ran the longest resonators I could fit. That made a difference.

Comment

After listening to the videos Raf, you could definitely get a better exhaust sound by swapping out the muffler. Resonators can only do so much, and the Flowmaster still sounds raspy to me (hence why I'm not a fan of them om import cars).

I'd say switching to a 3" Magnaflow, Thermal R&D, or Apexi WS2 would do wonders for the sound of the car. I know everyone has their own taste, but those are generally, very well liked setups.

Comment

What about a vibrant muffler?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Vibrant is good quality. I just personally never cared for their sound. Always thought they seemed like a worse sounding Magnaflow in my opinion. Not bad, but not near as crisp and toned.

They do sound good on K series cars though. Just was never impressed with them on the H/F. But again it's all preference.

Comment

May i suggest a Varex? I believe you guys have Xforce dealers in the US, dont know if shipping is much to Canada.

I went through all this, i wanted loud but not loud, sounding subtle but sounding racecar. And i concluded its not possible to have all those. so i opted for twin resonators and the remote controlled variable valve rear box. Stock sounding closed, loud open. And anything in between. No drone from halfway shut to closed, and no rasp.

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
            UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
            NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

Originally posted by marcusv8thunder View Post
              May i suggest a Varex? I believe you guys have Xforce dealers in the US, dont know if shipping is much to Canada.

I went through all this, i wanted loud but not loud, sounding subtle but sounding racecar. And i concluded its not possible to have all those. so i opted for twin resonators and the remote controlled variable valve rear box. Stock sounding closed, loud open. And anything in between. No drone from halfway shut to closed, and no rasp.
              That sounds cool!
              I thought about something like that for my Cadillac. For having a corvette engine, it's awful quiet. Most of the time I like that, but sometimes I want it to sound like the 400hp fire breathing monster that it is!

Comment

Still pretty raspy, but that resonator defenitly made it sound alot better.

I think you still need another resonator, do you have a Cat Converter?
                I'm faster then a prius

Comment

I always considered a cat to be like another resonator, in addition to its intended function. I paid a hefty sum to have a quality cat (not some cheap "high flow" thing) installed when I got the custom 2.5" exhaust on my H22. Cat+2 long resonators = as good as you're going to get. I agree that a better muffler will help quiet things down as well.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    That sounds cool!
                    I thought about something like that for my Cadillac. For having a corvette engine, it's awful quiet. Most of the time I like that, but sometimes I want it to sound like the 400hp fire breathing monster that it is!
                    Yes exactly so, best of both. It actually works too not a gimmick. I believe Xforce main bread and butter is V8 systems.

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
                    UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
                    NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

I've looked into the Varex mufflers. Even found some lightly used ones locally for about $100 or so.

There's just not a lot of sound clips on them, especially older H/F Hondas, and from the few I did see, I can't say I was a big fan.
                      Last edited by Corweena; 07-24-2017, 04:05 AM.

Comment

So after cruising around for a few days there is a big difference and I like it! It's the calmly cruising down the road sound that I'm really happy with now. It's more muffled and thus can listen to the stereo or talk to someone in the passenger seat without raising your voice no matter what gear you are in.

But as Deev pointed out, the 400HP monster sound is no more. Like a big block short exhaust where you feel the sound in your chest and it strikes fear into the those near it! ......., ya, that is gone haha. Part of that sound was "this car means business" when out on the street, but the same sound equals "I'm sorry my car is so loud" in other areas of the neighborhood.

And no CAT on this car. I thought about getting another resonator but it would simply quiet things down too much. If anything I'd like to have dual exhausts on the car, but we don't have bumpers for that.

Comment

Your next mod should be an electronic cut out, best of both worlds.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

give it some more burn in time as the note will continually change then settle in id say about a week of driving (~700miles)

if youre still feeling moddy, the next thing to try is the J pipe, then youll have a really quiet system.
                            Using your phone and a free spectrum analyzer find out what freq the worst drone is at,
                            Tip: if you just want the frequency for buying the correct sound suppression, use this part:
                            2500 * 4 * (1/60) = 166.67 Hz (replace 2500 with your drone RPM)
                            and badabing..

Here's the formula to get the tube length:

((343)/(RPM * 4 * (1/60))) / 4

Just replace RPM with the RPM where drone is at its worst.
                            E.g. ((343)/(2500 * 4 * (1/60))) / 4 = 0.5145 meters
                            "For drone at 2500 RPM you need to weld a capped exhaust pipe 0.5145 meters in length before your muffler, as perpendicular to your existing pipe as possible (it should look like a T). It's as simple as that. Although it's often called a j tube, it's actually better if it's straight, as the more it bends the more sound bounces back before reaching the full length. The j shape comes from having to fit it in small spaces. If you can't weld, with this number you can tell any exhaust shop what to do."

Last edited by illinois_erik; 07-26-2017, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                              Your next mod should be an electronic cut out, best of both worlds.
                              Hell ya! I'd love to do this!

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                              give it some more burn in time as the note will continually change then settle in id say about a week of driving (~700miles)

if youre still feeling moddy, the next thing to try is the J pipe, then youll have a really quiet system.
                              Using your phone and a free spectrum analyzer find out what freq the worst drone is at,
                              Tip: if you just want the frequency for buying the correct sound suppression, use this part:
                              2500 * 4 * (1/60) = 166.67 Hz (replace 2500 with your drone RPM)
                              and badabing..

((343)/(RPM * 4 * (1/60))) / 4

Just replace RPM with the RPM where drone is at its worst.
                              E.g. ((343)/(2500 * 4 * (1/60))) / 4 = 0.5145 meters
                              "For drone at 2500 RPM you need to weld a capped exhaust pipe 0.5145 meters in length before your muffler, as perpendicular to your existing pipe as possible (it should look like a T). It's as simple as that. Although it's often called a j tube, it's actually better if it's straight, as the more it bends the more sound bounces back before reaching the full length. The j shape comes from having to fit it in small spaces. If you can't weld, with this number you can tell any exhaust shop what to do."

Interesting. thanks! i see car manufactures doing this in both the intake sound and exhaust sound. Don't think I have the room for this but it's a good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                                g
                                thanks so much for sharing!

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                                - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                                - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                                - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                                - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                                - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                                Current cars:
                                - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                                - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
                                X