CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > 4th Gen-eral > Other Automotive > Other Automotive Members Rides

Old 09-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #21
Ralphie
Stalker

Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed.
Honestly, I don't think a full retro is necessary on these.

There are a few guys who have done them but also because they wanted to upgrade the DRL at the same time.

Just as many, if not more, have just gone the kit route and are more than happy with their output etc.

I would like to try mine again, but with a really good kit.

You thinking about any suspension upgrades?

Last edited by Ralphie; 09-10-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:31 PM   #22
owequitit
CB7tuner Member

owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful
Send a message via AIM to owequitit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphie View Post
Honestly, I don't think a full retro is necessary on these.

There are a few guys who have done them but also because they wanted to upgrade the DRL at the same time.

Just as many, if not more, have just gone the kit route and are more than happy with their output etc.

I would like to try mine again, but with a really good kit.

You thinking about any suspension upgrades?
Yeah, I was kind of thinking that I don't really need to do the kit. I wish I had taken the HID's out of the Civic, as I might have only needed to replace the bulbs. I can never keep track of what's what because they just HAD to change 9006 to whatever H** code it is. Silliness.

As for suspension upgrades, right now it is surprisingly good and it rides pretty nice. If I do anything, it will probably just be a rear sway bar upgrade. Only about $150 and worth its weight in gold. They look good lowered, but I am just too damn old to deal with the bullshit anymore! Plus, Texas roads are generally shit and I don't want to have to worry about expansion joints, railroad crossings, etc.
owequitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:59 PM   #23
Ralphie
Stalker

Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by owequitit View Post
Yeah, I was kind of thinking that I don't really need to do the kit. I wish I had taken the HID's out of the Civic, as I might have only needed to replace the bulbs. I can never keep track of what's what because they just HAD to change 9006 to whatever H** code it is. Silliness.

As for suspension upgrades, right now it is surprisingly good and it rides pretty nice. If I do anything, it will probably just be a rear sway bar upgrade. Only about $150 and worth its weight in gold. They look good lowered, but I am just too damn old to deal with the bullshit anymore! Plus, Texas roads are generally shit and I don't want to have to worry about expansion joints, railroad crossings, etc.
LOL I had a feeling you were going to say that the lowering game is old bs lol.

I feel the same way dude, no lie. I love the way they look lowered but its just such a pain in the ass dealing with everything that goes with it.

I believe the lows are H11 and the highs are 9005.

I swapped out the wedge bulb for the parking light strip today.

Threw in a 6k LED.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7&l=8afd7006d4

Im happy. Looks much better and I like the contrast with the fogs.

Last edited by Ralphie; 09-11-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:37 AM   #24
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Looks great! I wasn't sure I was going to like the red, as there aren't many red cars that I really like... but that works. Especially with the black interior!

How much power is the FlashPro likely to give you?

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:20 PM   #25
owequitit
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Looks great! I wasn't sure I was going to like the red, as there aren't many red cars that I really like... but that works. Especially with the black interior!

How much power is the FlashPro likely to give you?
According to their website, it gains about 6HP and 5 lb-ft when stock with low octane gas.

With premium (91 oct) and a short ram, it gained like 15HP and 15 lb-ft. But, if it is like the Civic, I think there would be pretty big increase in responsiveness and elimination of the weird throttle delay issues that plague almost all modern cars.

I think it was a lot more beneficial to the Civic because it gave 12-15HP through the middle of the power band, but this car doesn't really need a lot of extra thrust, just smoother throttle response. I have also noticed that if you don't time it right, it will rev up to ~2K when the clutch is pressed in, which is really weird...
Old 09-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #26
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Not bad. Realistic expectations.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:22 PM   #27
sonikaccord
Contributing Member

sonikaccord seems to have made some friends!
So no J-pipe or PCDs in your future?
Old 09-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #28
owequitit
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikaccord View Post
So no J-pipe or PCDs in your future?
At this point, no. Texas has to pass inspection, and I don't really want to have to be installing/uninstalling shit all the time. I thought about a mild exhaust just because it sounds good, but we will see.

For now I just want to eventually add a few accessories, detail it, and drive it.

It honestly doesn't need much power. It is a total sleeper and has already pissed a number of douchebags off in traffic who were driving like A-holes. Had a turbo Sonata today that was plastered to my rear bumper. Blew him off like it was nothing. Did a hard 3rd gear pull and then a mild 4th gear pull (didn't redline either) and he was gone. He flew by me at about 100MPH 10 minutes later when he got himself through traffic.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:42 AM   #29
Ralphie
Stalker

I love passing people over lol.

Just this morning I was driving into work and was behind a Mercedes SUV(not sure which one, the nice looking one, not the hideous truck)

We both turned right and a quarter mile down the road it goes one lane. Well he was going slow in the left so I got in the right and tried to pass him. Of course I can sense he is speeding up because Im not passing him anymore lol.

I gunned it(not even in sport mode) and bye bye! I don't think he was expecting it, honestly, because I am sure properly lined up hed take me but I can only imagine the J series as my little baby K is quite spritely.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:14 PM   #30
vietkid_2006
Contributing Member

vietkid_2006 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to vietkid_2006 Send a message via MSN to vietkid_2006 Send a message via Yahoo to vietkid_2006
Welcome to the V6 6 speed side!

I've done almost all bolt ons to the engine if you have any questions on anything.

vietkid_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:55 PM   #31
owequitit
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietkid_2006 View Post
Welcome to the V6 6 speed side!

I've done almost all bolt ons to the engine if you have any questions on anything.

Thanks! I forgot you had yours!
Old 01-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #32
Ralphie
Stalker

Any updates?

On a side note- I just finished the book Sled Driver. Was a pretty good read!
Old 01-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #33
gloryaccordy
Contributing Member

gloryaccordy seems to have made some friends!
Nice pick up dude. I recently had an Accord sedan 4cyl loaner and I'm kind of smitten. Honda has not lost a step with chassis tuning. I can't afford the used V6 sedan I want though.

I have done a few projector retrofits and am familiar with these. They are basically the halogen versions of the projectors in the TL. The only real question mark will be the quality of the bulbs- no OEM makes HID bulbs for this (for good reason). That said, TheRetrofitSource has some projectors that basically drop in once you open up the headlight. It's a little bit of a nightmare the first time but you are a smart guy. Get a second set of OEM headlights if you can and do the retro at your own pace.

If I had one of these I think my first mods would be new pads/rotors, ST coilovers and a Quaife if they make one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoja View Post
im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral
gloryaccordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:26 PM   #34
owequitit
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphie View Post
Any updates?

On a side note- I just finished the book Sled Driver. Was a pretty good read!
One of the coolest airplanes that everyone has heard of, but nobody knows about.

Where did you get a copy of that? I tried to buy a copy and they were like $400!

Other than that, no updates.

I got backed into in a parking lot and it put a dent in the bumper right above the rear reflector. Technology is pretty amazing because they were able to actually repair the OEM bumper cover and it looks good as new!

Other than that, just driving it. About 50% of the way to my first oil change.

I did decide that after having a 2016 Kia Sorento as the rental while they fixed my car that Honda really needs to get their ICE shit together.

This system has some nice features, but it is SLOW, buggy and inconsistent. Sometimes it connects to my phone right away, and sometimes not at all. Sometimes I turn it on after being on FM, and it is on some other random source.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:28 PM   #35
owequitit
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryaccordy View Post
Nice pick up dude. I recently had an Accord sedan 4cyl loaner and I'm kind of smitten. Honda has not lost a step with chassis tuning. I can't afford the used V6 sedan I want though.

I have done a few projector retrofits and am familiar with these. They are basically the halogen versions of the projectors in the TL. The only real question mark will be the quality of the bulbs- no OEM makes HID bulbs for this (for good reason). That said, TheRetrofitSource has some projectors that basically drop in once you open up the headlight. It's a little bit of a nightmare the first time but you are a smart guy. Get a second set of OEM headlights if you can and do the retro at your own pace.

If I had one of these I think my first mods would be new pads/rotors, ST coilovers and a Quaife if they make one.
It's definitely a nice car.

I looked at TRR's projector kits, but decided I don't want to mess with it for a long long while, if ever. I will probably just put a set of HID bulbs like I did on the Si (never had a problem with them) and leave it at that.

This car definitely needs a rear sway above all else, but pads would probably be my only other suspension modification. It rides nice, handles well enough and has a good tradeoff between handling/ride.

I would like a Quaife, but I doubt I will ever tear the tranny down to do it. If I did, I think the old 3rd gen TL unit fits, but I honestly haven't even looked into it.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:40 PM   #36
Losiracer2
CB7tuner Member

Losiracer2 seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Losiracer2
I just saw this! Wow! great pickup!

To get over the HID thing, have you tried sourcing a set of Canadian Coupe LED headlights?

The touring version of the sedan had LED lights as stock in the US but Canada got both the Coupe and Sedan available with LEDs. I wouldn't buy from a dealer as the price of these are probably 4-500 a pop, instead, see if there are any Canadian Accord coupes being parted out possibly?

I've even seen LED bulbs that you can purchase now, I'm not sure about output in a projector however. Amazon has a set for about 40 bucks, so roughly equivalent to a cheap HID kit.

And also, they made an HFP suspension kit for the Coupe, actually even an HFP coupe but it was only available in Auto V6 form.

member's ride thread
93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
97' Lexus LS400 294k miles.....Luxury Cruiser DD
89' SEi Coupe 42k miles one owner museum find
89' Accord SEi
Losiracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:39 AM   #37
owequitit
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losiracer2 View Post
I just saw this! Wow! great pickup!

To get over the HID thing, have you tried sourcing a set of Canadian Coupe LED headlights?

The touring version of the sedan had LED lights as stock in the US but Canada got both the Coupe and Sedan available with LEDs. I wouldn't buy from a dealer as the price of these are probably 4-500 a pop, instead, see if there are any Canadian Accord coupes being parted out possibly?

I've even seen LED bulbs that you can purchase now, I'm not sure about output in a projector however. Amazon has a set for about 40 bucks, so roughly equivalent to a cheap HID kit.

And also, they made an HFP suspension kit for the Coupe, actually even an HFP coupe but it was only available in Auto V6 form.
Yeah, we looked at a Touring when my parents bought theirs, but it was way overpriced for what was effectively a set of LED headlights and adaptive cruise control.

And honestly, I HATE the look of the LED lights on this pre-MMC Accord, so I don't think I will go that route.

As for HFP, probably won't do anything to the suspension now that I am old. It rides good, and handles pretty well, so in a big, flat, boring place like Texas, it is actually pretty fitting.

But I do like it a lot. Can't decide if I regret selling the Si or not, especially since I now need something a bit more practical.

Honda also did a FANTASTIC job of amping the character of this car up a bit compared to the sedan. There is a little more driveline buzz at low RPM's the exhaust sounds good from the inside (and decent outside) and you just get a little bit of that older school mechanical involvement, like a bit of gear whine from the tranny, some mild exhaust burble when you let off the gas and the fantastic melody of the engine.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:51 PM   #38
Ralphie
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by owequitit View Post
One of the coolest airplanes that everyone has heard of, but nobody knows about.

Where did you get a copy of that? I tried to buy a copy and they were like $400!

Other than that, no updates.

I got backed into in a parking lot and it put a dent in the bumper right above the rear reflector. Technology is pretty amazing because they were able to actually repair the OEM bumper cover and it looks good as new!

Other than that, just driving it. About 50% of the way to my first oil change.

I did decide that after having a 2016 Kia Sorento as the rental while they fixed my car that Honda really needs to get their ICE shit together.

This system has some nice features, but it is SLOW, buggy and inconsistent. Sometimes it connects to my phone right away, and sometimes not at all. Sometimes I turn it on after being on FM, and it is on some other random source.

Ah, yea I wanted to buy it but it's still $400.

I got a PDF version haha. I just had to read it. Hopefully one day I will have the extra cash to buy it for my library.

All I can say, is making a u-turn in that plane easily clears 3-4 fucking states. Just amazing.

Sucks about the bumper, but glad they got it sorted out.

I got tapped at 4am at work and thankfully the co-worker left a note. Ended up being $500 to basically do what you got done and the guy paid cash.

Someone tapped me again in Newark and left two fucking screw marks like a month late and obviously they did not leave a note so it looks like shit again.

Oh well.

Im in the same boat, I want to just drive it into the ground and then maybe I can jump into a newerish 6spd v6 before they all go away lol.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:42 PM   #39
owequitit
CB7tuner Member

Had the airbag light come on right after they fixed the bumper (a few days).

Apparently, the inertial sensor randomly took a crap at about the same time, so it had nothing to do with the accident or repair. It was covered under warranty thankfully.

Other than that, I just detailed it yesterday. The previous owner definitely wasn't as diligent about caring for the paint, but luckily many of what I thought were blemishes was really just left over wax, etc.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:20 AM   #40
owequitit
CB7tuner Member

Just had the second oil change under my care. So far so good.

Also got bored today, so I did an LED lighting upgrade to all interior and tail lights, minus the turn signals (didn't want to deal with CAN BUS enabler and resistors.)

Also found a cool hack for the stock radio system the other day. It seems that Honda basically put the Civic Si stereo in the car and then "detuned" it. They had an internal crossover setting that seemed to be limiting the lower frequencies and the highs. It also served to make the sound seem a lot more "muddy." Changed the setting and the stereo is MUCH more responsive and powerful, although now the parcel shelf rattles a bit, so I will have to take care of that.

Next step will probably be to put an HID kit in it, paint the brake calipers black and then do a Dr. Colorchip touchup.

I am pondering brake upgrade options for this car as it only has 11.5" rotors, which are actually smaller than what was on the Si, which was much lighter and significantly slower. There are a couple of options here, but I am leaning either toward and upgrade to the 12.3" rotors of the 2016-2017 Sport/Touring brakes, or a BBK using the 2nd gen RL calipers and an adapter bracket.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: