RIP AV6's and VTEC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP AV6's and VTEC

Well Honda has killed the V6 for the 2018 Accord.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...medium=twitter

I'm a little upset about that, but it is getting a 306 hp Type-R like engine to replace the V6 AND it will come in a manual.

VTEC, as we know it has also seen the end of it's days as it has been replaced by turbochargers. Which is also kind of a good thing, but I will definitely miss VTEC kicking in, yo.

YouTube Clicky!!

Small displacement, direct injection, turbocharged engines are the future anyway. It's crazy the .5L increase in displacement can net 100hp! Personally, I'm not sad to see vtec go if they're replacing it with snails.

Comment

That's sad...
      I'm faster then a prius

Comment

I don't believe this paragraph at all: "The upmarket Accord's turbo engine will be paired to a ten-speed automatic transmission -- a first in the industry for a front-wheel-drive car -- or a six-speed manual."

There's no way Honda would give us what we want. Too good to be true.

Either way - I'm eager to see the new Accord design. I know the current model is long in the tooth, but the updates Honda made to the platform make the latest Accord a real looker (especially in Sport and Touring trims).

If Honda came out tomorrow and confirmed that they will sell the next Accord with all of the luxuries of the Touring trim, but with the 2.0 turbo and a 6 speed manual, I would put a deposit on one yesterday - no questions asked.
        14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

The FK2 CTR had VTEC and turbo, what makes you believe they're getting rid of it? I don't see the technology ever losing its usefulness.

The V6's death is sad, though, because I've never cared for turbocharging.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

That is sad. It's interesting to compare the specs of a 2016 civic type R to a 2016 V6 accord. (copy from google right quick)

2016 Civic-R
            Type direct-injected turbocharged 2.0 litre VTEC TURBO
            Output 306 HP @ 6,500 RPM
            Torque 295 LB-FT @ 2,500 RPM
            0-to-100 km/h (62 mph) 5.7 seconds
            Top Speed 270 KM/H (167 MPH)
            1400lbs??

2016 Accord Sedan
            V6 Engine
            Power 278 @ 6200 rpm
            Torque 252 lb-ft @ 4900 rpm
            3543 lbs

Something close to that. The idea of needing a larger engine to move more weight (as they usually class the engine / car this way) is going away due to technological advancements. Won't be as quick but does the trick. VW mastered this game their whole life.

But this is a 4 cylinder turbo. If we offer folks a V6 turbo equivalent which do you think would sell more? (4cylnd turbo civic or v6 turbo accord / both standard transmission). Which would you buy?

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
              The FK2 CTR had VTEC and turbo, what makes you believe they're getting rid of it? I don't see the technology ever losing its usefulness.

The V6's death is sad, though, because I've never cared for turbocharging.
              They aren't getting rid of VTEC, but it won't have the same effect as the now "old school" style, which is what I was referring to. There are rumors floating around that it's only intake and exhaust cam phasing. I'll wait till some more data comes out about the K20C engine.

I think an Accord Type-R with SH-AWD, and a 3.0L v6 twin turbo would be awesome and I would definitely buy one without thinking. The Civic may sell more though. It is still a Civic and is still a much more popular platform.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

VTEC as we knew it pretty much died with the demise of the B and H series engine anyway. Are they really doing away with variable valve timing altogether? I thought that was something that was just becoming standard on damn near everything anymore.

Every automaker is dropping a couple cylinders and adding forced induction and direct injection to keep up with ever-increasing fuel economy demands. Many cars that once had monstrous V8s now have turbo V6s (even crazy stuff like the Ford GT went to a V6!) Cars that once got V6s or I6s are now going to have turbo 4s.
                I don't love it, as it still seems really weird to me to see a big Audi, BMW, or Benz bearing a "2.0T" badge on the back.
                As for the Accord, the V6 models always seemed special. Especially from the 7th gen on, when they came with a manual transmission option. They were one of the best options for power, reliability, efficiency, customizability, and value for anyone that needed a truly practical car. The Camry has been boring for decades (and I don't believe they offer a V6 manual), the Altima has never been as good, the cheaper Germans suck (Passat), the higher-end Germans are too expensive, and the Americans are only now remembering how to make worthwhile cars with three pedals.
                Subaru managed to keep the Legacy classy with a turbo 4, though... so maybe there's hope.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  VTEC as we knew it pretty much died with the demise of the B and H series engine anyway. Are they really doing away with variable valve timing altogether? I thought that was something that was just becoming standard on damn near everything anymore.

Every automaker is dropping a couple cylinders and adding forced induction and direct injection to keep up with ever-increasing fuel economy demands. Many cars that once had monstrous V8s now have turbo V6s (even crazy stuff like the Ford GT went to a V6!) Cars that once got V6s or I6s are now going to have turbo 4s.
                  I don't love it, as it still seems really weird to me to see a big Audi, BMW, or Benz bearing a "2.0T" badge on the back.
                  As for the Accord, the V6 models always seemed special. Especially from the 7th gen on, when they came with a manual transmission option. They were one of the best options for power, reliability, efficiency, customizability, and value for anyone that needed a truly practical car. The Camry has been boring for decades (and I don't believe they offer a V6 manual), the Altima has never been as good, the cheaper Germans suck (Passat), the higher-end Germans are too expensive, and the Americans are only now remembering how to make worthwhile cars with three pedals.
                  Subaru managed to keep the Legacy classy with a turbo 4, though... so maybe there's hope.
                  This.

I LOVE my 2013 EX. My only regrets were that I did not get either a sport or the 6-6.

I was eyeing a 6-6 when it was time to sell this Accord(with 48k miles, would be a while).

Guess I will have to see, but yea, this has been talked about for a while now. We had a big discussion about it on the 9th gen FB page.

V6 Accords, esp the 6Speeds, were a real niche for people who wanted the efficiency and comfort, but some oomph and style.

I see there is plenty of potential with the smaller turbo class but we will be letting go of something special for sure.

I never got my hands on a v6 and the guys that own the v6 6 speed version of the current gen accord rave about them to no end so it sucks but maybe ill just pick up a CPO one lol. Not like they really going anywhere anytime soon.

Comment

i own a 2014 6/6. its a nice car with fancy shit inside and out with some ass. BUT, id trade it in if i could get a 2.0/6mt in a coupe. FBO/tune it would probably make more power than a CTR does stock. but they probably change pistons or cams or something to make it less power probably rate it at the same power as the outgoing j35y1/2. just like they rated the new civic si power like the outgoing model.
                    COUPE K24

Comment

Maybe they're gonna do electronic valve timing instead of the oil pressure thing? I don't see valve timing going away ever. I'm not gonna lie, I'm NOT up to date with newer Hondas, so if they're already doing this don't flame me too hard.

An already boosted Honda seems to have more room to grow if you ask me.

Comment

i just read an official honda document somebody posted today. the 2.0t will have vtec also.
                        COUPE K24

Comment

I'm just waiting for Honda to get on with producing that cylinder deactivation engine they patented a while back. Cylinders are all of different displacements (still a four-banger), and change combinations on the fly pretty much like iVTEC messes with the valves. That, and for Koenigsegg's Freevalve system to be adopted by more common manufacturers. It's definitely an exciting age for engine tech.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

they already have that. been had that. its called VCM.
                            COUPE K24

Comment

That's only in the V6s, and the cylinders are all the same volume as each other.

This is what I'm referring to. Same basic principle, sure, but a lot more variety in useable displacements:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/09/h...displacements/

"Take a 2.0-liter four-cylinder, for example. Following the golden displacement rule, each of the four cylinders has a volume of 500 cc, giving displacement increments of 500 cc when any cylinder is deactivated. But suppose instead that the four cylinders displace 300, 425, 600, and 675 cc, respectively. This would give the engine 15 available displacements instead of just four, and the spacing between each option would be far less than 500cc."

Looks like differences in stroke and piston size between each of the cylinders.
                              Last edited by CyborgGT; 06-11-2017, 02:00 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                              X