EXT: Civic Socket wiring, for Bumper light conversions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just a tip...

use the civic bulbs(3496). they are rated at 43/3 candlepower instead of 32/3 for the 1157.

i use them for all 1157 locations as long as there is room for the extra bulb height.

i have also swapped out all 1156 (reverse, rear turn) bulbs with 3497's since they are also rated similarly.

brighter is better and safer

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112

Comment

Originally posted by H22artman View Post
      just a tip...

use the civic bulbs(3496). they are rated at 43/3 candlepower instead of 32/3 for the 1157.

i use them for all 1157 locations as long as there is room for the extra bulb height.

i have also swapped out all 1156 (reverse, rear turn) bulbs with 3497's since they are also rated similarly.

brighter is better and safer
      They do fit into the bumper lights better as well
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Help!

I am sitting here going to install them and I am stuck already. I need to tap into the front most light on the corner lense and there are 3 wires, 2 are red and black and the other is just black. Then down at the bumper light I have 3 wires, 2 are green and yellow and the third is black. The civic socket is white wire, black wire and a green wire on one and the second socket is a red and black wire, a black and a green and yellow wire? Am I overlooking something here or what is the deal?

EDIT: I can't find any wiring diagrams for signals on the CB that include 3 wires. Guess I am going to bust out the voltmeter and see if I can see if both the green/yellow wires are hot. I am still open to any suggestions.
        Last edited by MadSpleen85; 07-02-2009, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Any issues with the housing melting or deforming when doing this?

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
            Nope. Mine have been done since April-ish.

1999 BMW M3
            2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
            2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
            2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
              None, and I have had this done for a year now. I also have aftermarket signals too.

Comment

how would i wire this for the 91 accords??

Comment

Originally posted by kenjin View Post
                  the same, this is for all 90-93 Accords

Comment

the civics are red black and green...but the 91 accords are green green black...does it matter which ones i connect them too??...a wiring diagram would help..

Comment

you probably already answered my question but where did you connected the red wire to?? and do they still blink separately??

Comment

Originally posted by Chicano2005 View Post
                        you probably already answered my question but where did you connected the red wire to?? and do they still blink separately??
                        Red goes to the always-on bulb wiring on the corner light.

As far as the blinking, think of the bumper light now as a H4 headlight bulb, or a bulb that incorporates a high beam and a low beam (dual filament...just like the 1157 bulb you use). The always-on function is the low beam...the blink function is the high beam. So as it blinks, it's just illuminates the second, brighter filament.

Originally posted by MadSpleen85
                        Help!
                        I am sitting here going to install them and I am stuck already. I need to tap into the front most light on the corner lense and there are 3 wires, 2 are red and black and the other is just black. Then down at the bumper light I have 3 wires, 2 are green and yellow and the third is black. The civic socket is white wire, black wire and a green wire on one and the second socket is a red and black wire, a black and a green and yellow wire? Am I overlooking something here or what is the deal?

EDIT: I can't find any wiring diagrams for signals on the CB that include 3 wires. Guess I am going to bust out the voltmeter and see if I can see if both the green/yellow wires are hot. I am still open to any suggestions.
                        Originally posted by kenjim
                        Hmm...both of these cars are 91s and have issues with wiring?...I've heard before of the 91s having an extra wire.

I wonder if Honda was contemplating doing this and never ran with it.

Also, for the record, I used sockets from the brake light of a 3g Accord.

Comment

Well interesting issue with the 91's, but as I do not own a 91 to tinker with, I can't help.

As far as the red wire, you should see a red wire that goes to the always on bulb on the corner lights. Connect it to that.

Comment

i have a 91 accord and my corner light has 2 red wires as well, if you see this do not panic, they are both the power cords if you only wire one your light will ot work. If you use the method of wiring in this thread you will simply twist those two red wires together and connect them to your wire you are running to the bumper lights, in other words treat the two red wires as one. =]

Comment

Originally posted by life_shift View Post
                              i have a 91 accord and my corner light has 2 red wires as well, if you see this do not panic, they are both the power cords if you only wire one your light will ot work. If you use the method of wiring in this thread you will simply twist those two red wires together and connect them to your wire you are running to the bumper lights, in other words treat the two red wires as one. =]
                              Mine is a 90 and has it like that on the passenger side and on the drivers it has one red and two blacks (grounds) lol

I do have a question though, how is everyone wiring this, with the dim filament as the constant on and the bright the blinker or the other way around? I did the dim constant, but it was the opposite of this wiring, so figured I'd ask. Of course, I was using celica sockets so who knows lol.

Bought from: TypeG,mak,CB7_ACCORD,ChampCoupe,Blackex
                              Traded with: Cb7xChun
                              Sold to: Rob_is_legend,DaddyO,daheavyking
                              Sedan MR Thread Coupe MR Thread Prelude Si MR Thread
                              My huge For Sale Thread

Comment

I did this mod using CB7 tail light sockets and 1157 bulbs.

Quite easy to do, and a great mod. Definetly worth doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X