Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

transmission fluid leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transmission fluid leak

yo first off thanks to all who replied to my oil viscosity ??? I did an oil change with the Castrol edge synthetic 5w30, changed air filter oil filter etc. yo she floats..very happy car...my question is ive noticed a small transmission fluid leak when I park over concrete is there any suggestion on what is common cause for trans leaks at 170k miles (what I should check first) thanks

From where on the transmission is it leaking? Clean the transmission off as well as you can, if you have a large piece of white cardboard, put that under the car when you park, then note the location of the drops relative to the car. Most common is probably the seals where the axles plug into the transmission; these will show up as trans fluid slung off the axle shaft and making a mess of the rear of the engine and locations rearward from the axles. Other potential sources are the shift shaft seal (drops hanging only off the bottom of the transmission where the shift cable goes in) and the solenoid seals which will result in a trail of fluid running down the front of the transmission then across the bottom.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Is it an anutomatic or manual? if its a manual or auto spray all around it with some brake cleaner and wipe it down nice and easy. I bet it's going to be the axle seals. Make sure you remove it with a screw driver after confirming it and raplace it gently tapping that back in with a nice wooden plank.

Comment

It's an automatic (not my preference but couldn't pass up the deal) the drops are nearly dead center of the car right between the wheels

Comment

Where the fluid hits the ground isn't necessarily where it's leaking. Chances are it's running down the transmission case to the lowest point, then dropping off.
          There are only so many openings on your transmission. Clean it off thoroughly around the axles, the drain plug, the fill plug, and the dipstick. Unless the case is cracked, those are the only potential sources. If you clean it thoroughly, the source of the leak should be evident.

Comment

Are you 100% sure its transmission fluid? Could be oil from a bad main seal. Buy a can or carb cleaner and spray and wipe everything best you can, then try to pinpoint where exactly the leak is.
            R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              Where the fluid hits the ground isn't necessarily where it's leaking. Chances are it's running down the transmission case to the lowest point, then dropping off.
              There are only so many openings on your transmission. Clean it off thoroughly around the axles, the drain plug, the fill plug, and the dipstick. Unless the case is cracked, those are the only potential sources. If you clean it thoroughly, the source of the leak should be evident.
              This is exactly what I had to do multiple times before to find the leaks. A previous CB7 I had many years ago was doing the same thing. Turned out the previous owner was using tranny fluid for power steering fluid and the leak was actually coming from there. Only way I found it out was a couple canes of brake parts cleaner. The color of the fluid was also much lighter than what was in the tranny so that helped narrow it down as well.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                Don't forget the trans cooler lines that run to the radiator (automatics only).

Comment

Not sure if you are still looking for the leak but, I had a similar type of leak which I thought may have been tranny fluid. Ended up being the top radiator hose was leaking & dripping down on the tranny making it look like it was the tranny fluid.
                  Keep Pushing..

Comment

Ok I think I found the leak...there is some type of casing or cover right along the bottom side of the alternator belt that looks like it's missing a few bolts or fasteners with pink fluid droplets coming from within. So how ergent is it to replace this cover which I'm sure has some type of gasket within somewhere because I would really ha e to find the time to remove belts and pulley's to get to it if rather be replacing the alternator or such to have to do all that work

Comment

Of the alternator belt, on the crank pulley? You mean the bottom of the black plastic lower timing cover? Only thing at that end is oil (cam seal, balance shaft seal, crank seal, oil pump) and engine coolant (water pump). What color anti-freeze are you using? There a just a few bolts that hold the timing cover to the block. Maybe take a picture to help us understand where you're talking about. I can't think of a good way for transmission fluid to get all the way over there.
                      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I took a picture (2) but can't figure how to load them in using an android at the moment...my coolant is green I'm positive it's not coolant, but also sure this is where the leak is persisting, I remember a few weeks ago there was a pen that fell out from the bottom of my cb7 and i was clueless to where it came from but earlier today I hacked the car up for underneath and notice this cover right away it's missing 2 pins and a bolt is damnare touching the belt pully I wanna say I've heard it running before but not sure

Comment

Pictures have to be hosted on something like photobucket. When you say pen/pin, do you mean a bolt with a cylindrical section between the head (10 mm) and the threads? That's what the bolts that hold the timing cover on look like. Looks like you recently changed your oil, is what you're seeing fresh oil instead of transmission fluid?

Comment

And I was thinking the same thing that's the oil side of the bay but I couldn't find an other drip points so I'm kinda baffled by it...it's been leaking since I bought it in September but not affecting the actual fluid level at all I'm going to change the team's fluid some time after Christmas and don't want the new fluid to leak out plus I just want to keep her running strong and healthy ya know

Comment

How many miles on it? If anything behind the timing cover is leaking, it will run down the inside of the cover or that face of the block and drip off the bottom where it meets the block/oil pan as I think you've described.

Comment

Working...
                              X