No announcement yet.

SUSP : Suspension Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah.. haha.. then how do u get the spring out if its uncompressed??.. lol no way in hell ull get it out..

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
      if u were changing struts on a lowerd car do you need to compress the spring again? or can u just undo the bolt?

i heard u can also just undo the bolt when the car is on the ground, and then lift the car up and the spring will be decompressed as well...?
      if the car was already lowered and the lowering springs where already settled on the shocks you wouldnt need one at all, just make sure there is a little play between the shock and the springs, i didnt need one to put on the springs onto my shock, thats a 2.0 drop spring.

i wouldnt really trust the doing it while on ground bit, do that at your own risk.

Originally posted by WiKKeDV16
      yeah.. haha.. then how do u get the spring out if its uncompressed??.. lol no way in hell ull get it out..
      you can do what i did, see how far we could launch the shocks when we where unbolting them while they where on the ground, wow those things are powerful, they could put on a hurtin if they hit someone lol...even though it blew my stock ones in the process.

^sold

Comment

anyone have a list of the torque specs for reinstalling the bolts?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
        "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
        "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

thank you sir

Comment

Originally posted by lowoctane

you can do what i did, see how far we could launch the shocks when we where unbolting them while they where on the ground, wow those things are powerful, they could put on a hurtin if they hit someone lol...even though it blew my stock ones in the process.
            yea, people have died that way . . . do it into a field where you cant see anyone in front of you . . . at all, that should be enough room
            -Mark-
            CB7
            CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
            Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

according to http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/AccordManual/400/12-38.pdf when removing the rear spring/shock assembly, the upper ball joint has to be disconnected is this necessary?

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                according to http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/AccordManual/400/12-38.pdf when removing the rear spring/shock assembly, the upper ball joint has to be disconnected is this necessary?
                def. not!!!!, i didnt touch the ball joint at all.

^sold

Comment

me either, just loosen the bottom obolt a bit, then the top 3, then i kicked it inwards and it came right out.

to put it on u have to push it down a bit to get it aligned, thats it though.
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

i just finished installing my setup, never done suspension before. took me a while and only finished 3 out of 4 when i ran into a problem i had getting the middle nut off of the front left shock assembly, had to force an allen wrench in the top and then clamp it while loosening the nut with another wrench. almost killed myself when it shot off! thanks for the write up!!!

Comment

Here's a tip to save time...if you're keeping the top hats, don't even bother taking them off. Also, for the rear suspension, there's a huge space directly in front of the mount up top. Put all the bushings/rings on the shaft and let the assembly move in that space while you do the next step. Line the BOTTOM holes up first as it's basically impossible (at least it was for me) with the top stuff locked in place...then put some weight on the hub to lower the assembly, push the shaft down and put the spring/shaft back into the top hat, and tighten everything up.

To me the front is easier than the back...again don't remove the top hat; just take off the shaft nut and all the bushings under it, push the shaft down, separate the fork from the hub, blah blah take everything apart and out. Then just put everything back.

I did my back suspension today in about 1.5 hrs, no joke...and this was including disconnecting and reconnecting the sway bar on one side (which wasn't necessary).

Also, make sure you have a real jack w/jackstands...the jack comes in handy when reconnecting sway bars and stuff.

That's my contribution...

Originally posted by lordoja
                      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

It is a BITCH getting the bolt off the bottom part of the fork in the front. I couldnt do it when I tried tonight, so I put it all back together. And whats the word on using the cars weight as a spring compressor? Yay or Nay? (should I or should I be safe and get some actual compressors?)
                        To-Do List for Today
                        Be Awesome

Comment

OHHHHHHHHHHHH never mind, if you have stock springs def. take the full assembly out. I've been working with dropped cars for so long I forgot what a compressed unloaded spring looks like ...SAFETY FIRST!!!

Originally posted by lordoja
                          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by mxcx
                            It is a BITCH getting the bolt off the bottom part of the fork in the front. I couldnt do it when I tried tonight, so I put it all back together. And whats the word on using the cars weight as a spring compressor? Yay or Nay? (should I or should I be safe and get some actual compressors?)
                            You could rent a spring compressor at checkers or buy a craftsman for $40, much safer. For the lca to fork bolt in the front I just set a torque wrench going one direction and a breaker bar going the other (so the wrenches looked like this / \ from the front). Loosen just one side since the wrench on the other side will push into the ground. Didn't need much wd-40 to break them loose but you might want to try that if you havent already.
                            Just make sure the top hats are on right otherwise the fork wont line up.
                            Hope that helped.

Comment

Originally posted by lowoctane
                              well on the front, mine went right in, had no problem what so ever, heheh...but on the rear the bolt was a bitch to get it to thread in and line up correctly...well sense i had mine on a lift when i did it, i took two(2) Flat Head Screwdrivers and finaggled it into place, basically used them both the manuver everything, made it a lot easier, but that was for me..could be harder for others.
                              amen, those rear bolts are a bitch to line up

but then, that's only an issue if you're able to take out the strut and spring assembly themselves. I unbolted the bitches and for the life of me, I could never remove the strut assembly from the car because I could never get it to clear the rear fenders. I tried everything, including standing on the rear hub and then trying to get it to clear...nothing. And the hell if I could allow the struts to just drop, since I didn't have a lift and I was just doing one side at a time with a car jack. Sucked ass and I just had a shop do the rears. The fronts were cake...can probably do them in 15 minutes for both.

Anyone have any tips for the rears and making them clear the fenders easily?

My members ride thread

Comment

Originally posted by fliplyricist1
                                Anyone have any tips for the rears and making them clear the fenders easily?
                                Maybe I'm not understanding yr question b/c mine were really easy to get out. I just dropped the strut down and toward the other wheel then pulled it up over the hub at that angle. Maybe jack the car up and let the hub sag a little (or push down slightly).

Comment

Working...
                                X