Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Why lower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cb7sk8rdude View Post
    I have seen more than half the people on here with lowered cars. it looks sweet. I was thinking about lowering mine, and i read the sticky about prices, and it is pretty expensive. Is it worth the money to lower the car? Also is the car a rough ride or smooth ride? I have seen youtube video of people dragging along the street and sparks flying from out of their car and trails left behind them. Why do people lower their cars so much that it drags or scrapes when they go down a driveway?
    if you DONT want a rough ride or future problems then donot get coilovers...as much as they look sick imo they are bad for an every day driver.

all i did was buy super low springs and replaced my rear shocks as they started leaking after i put my new springs in and some 17" rims with 205/40's and my ride is awsome..i get that lowered look and better handling but its still a nice smooth ride.

my only issue is that the front doesnt sit as low as i would like there is still about a 1inc gap between the tyre and guard BUT that could be me being fussy..i am my own worst critic
    Last edited by Madpol; 05-02-2011, 11:40 PM.

“I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me. Your car is your story, so don’t let someone else write the book.”
    — Mighty Car Mods

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      Exactly. You do what you like with your car. Just make sure you do it right, and keep it safe. Suspension is a scary thing. Done wrong, you could very easily lose control and crash. Do it right, and you can do whatever you want to suit your taste.
      learned that through experience lately. running coils maxed low on my s13 with the RUCA's maxed in. that toes the hell out of my rear tires until tonight when i installed my toe rods.

could feel the car slide while turning on any incline. also made the turning unpredictable.

Comment

Yeah, that can be really scary, even if you're an experienced driver.

Everyone thinks they're in complete control of their car until they're not... and then it's too late. I've learned that one myself the hard way. Thankfully, the price I paid was quite small. And I AM an experienced driver with a fair amount of skill.

Comment

Originally posted by Madpol View Post
          if you DONT want a rough ride or future problems then donot get coilovers...as much as they look sick imo they are bad for an every day driver.
          this is only true if you get cheap coilovers without the proper specs for your car. a proper coilover setup will ride just as well as a normal coil/strut setup.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
          Originally posted by Stephen Fry
          'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
          Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
            this is only true if you get cheap coilovers without the proper specs for your car. a proper coilover setup will ride just as well as a normal coil/strut setup.
            especially seeing as most full coilovers are height and damping adjustable and come in multiple spring rates. they ride as harsh or comfortable as you want.

Comment

The key is to know how to set them up. That's why fully adjustable things aren't always best... because most people don't know what they're doing!

My friend has Skunk2 springs and Koni Yellow shocks on his CB7. with the shocks at full soft, the springs and shocks don't work well together... the ride is harsh and unpredictable. He stiffened the shocks little by little, until he found the point where they matched. MOST people wouldn't even think to do that. Hell, even I just leave mine on full soft... it seems to work well with my springs, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline View Post
                especially seeing as most full coilovers are height and damping adjustable and come in multiple spring rates. they ride as harsh or comfortable as you want.
                ah k i didnt know that.....but even still the hastle of trying to avoid bumps or having to take a driveway side ways to avoid scraping is or can be annoying...i have enough trouble with mine...cant even get up the drive way at work

“I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me. Your car is your story, so don’t let someone else write the book.”
                — Mighty Car Mods

Comment

Where you live, and how the roads are around you, is a big factor as well. If you live in areas with lots of poorly maintained bumpy roads, lots of steep driveways and speed bumps, or dirt roads... a really low car may not be a good idea. If you live in an area with nice smooth roads and forgiving driveways, low is fine. That, or you just drive extra carefully and avoid such things.

Comment

The key is to know how to set them up. That's why fully adjustable things aren't always best... because most people don't know what they're doing!

My friend has Skunk2 springs and Koni Yellow shocks on his CB7. with the shocks at full soft, the springs and shocks don't work well together... the ride is harsh and unpredictable. He stiffened the shocks little by little, until he found the point where they matched. MOST people wouldn't even think to do that. Hell, even I just leave mine on full soft... it seems to work well with my springs, though.
                    suspension is ALWAYS trial and error. the only way to actually learn is to just start playing around with them.

Originally posted by Madpol View Post
                    ah k i didnt know that.....but even still the hastle of trying to avoid bumps or having to take a driveway side ways to avoid scraping is or can be annoying...i have enough trouble with mine...cant even get up the drive way at work
                    I enjoy every time the frame rails on my car touch the earth and every spark i make. but my coils are where i put them. my coils will also put my car higher than stock height. If i ever wanted to.

Comment

newzealand roads are shocking at times.
                      just to leave my street i have to drive over 3-4 speed bumps depending on which way i go lol
                      and yip NewZealand is very hilly also our roads arent very smooth especially driving down the country.
                      think its metal chip thats used on our roads or volcanic asphalt...something rough any ways

— Mighty Car Mods

Comment

Well, you COULD study and learn about how it works... then there will be a lot less trial and error involved. Or at least you'd understand what you're doing when you're adjusting. Otherwise, you're really just messing with things at random, hoping for a good result! Eventually, a room full of monkeys with typewriters will write Shakespeare, but it's usually a better idea to go with one monkey that has a doctorate in literature.

Comment

iv also kind of experienced a slammed car as my rear shocks had leaked all there fluid after i put in my super low springs and driving to and from work was a nightmare. the slightest bump in the road and the ass end skipped like it was on ice

— Mighty Car Mods

Comment

Well, you COULD study and learn about how it works... then there will be a lot less trial and error involved. Or at least you'd understand what you're doing when you're adjusting. Otherwise, you're really just messing with things at random, hoping for a good result! Eventually, a room full of monkeys with typewriters will write Shakespeare, but it's usually a better idea to go with one monkey that has a doctorate in literature.
                            rofl very true

— Mighty Car Mods

Comment

lmao. not sure about Shakespeare....

i tried the reading thing myself, but it wasn't until i tried the adjustments and tested the ride did everything come together.

Comment

i said fuck it and slammed it, i really wanted the front lip to be touching the floor but it couldnt go that low.. it rides like shit but idgf

Comment

Working...
                                X