Alternative ROH swap info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative ROH swap info

I have seen no information about this stickied anywhere, or found any record of this knowledge on this site. If I am repeating what another member has said, I apologize, but I found all of this information through my own personal research and decided to share it with all of you!

There is a CHEAPER and EASIER way to do Rotor over hub conversions.

YES YOU CAN KEEP FOUR LUG IF YOU WANT TO (I did)

The knuckles from a 1998-2002 Honda Accord fit our cars perfectly. In fact, I'd say they are just about the exact same. Only difference is that bearings and hubs are press in rather than bolt in. These cars came as 4 lug cars as well, which means not only will you not need to find an extremely rare junkyard Acura, you also won't have to pay nearly 300 dollars for hubs straight from Honda like I almost did. I just went to the yard, and paid 50 bucks per knuckle, and bam. That's all she wrote.

I also decided to replace the bearings, balljoints, and hubs while I was in there too.

Everything fit a treat, and this allowed me to run the RL calipers like I wanted to.

I took pictures before the rotors went on, but unfortunately my phone corrupted them.

You can see that the knuckle design is virtually identical. Axles fit the hubs fine, too.

And yes, I realize that the brake lines are routed wrong there, that has been fixed.

Hope this helps someone.

I still have 14" steelies, will the setup work with it? I don't have the cash to upgrade everything yet. How easy is it to replace the bearing and hub on the 1998-2002 Accord, since it's press in?
    Thanks.

Comment

What rotor is that? Fastbrakes kit?

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
        I still have 14" steelies, will the setup work with it? I don't have the cash to upgrade everything yet. How easy is it to replace the bearing and hub on the 1998-2002 Accord, since it's press in?
        Thanks.
        DON'T DO IT. DO NOT LISTEN TO WHAT THE ME FROM A FEW MONTHS AGO SAID UP THERE. I WAS WRONG. IT DOES NOT WORK.

DON'T FUCKING DO IT I SWEAR. TRUST ME DO NOT DOOOOO IT. IT IS BAD.

and yeah it's the fastbrakes kit.

Comment

so you just removed the hub and bearing every place it with Acura rotor and hub
          **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
          Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
          Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Nearly the same as what da9b16 and I did when 5 lugging our cb's

I just used the spindle from the 2002 Acura TL complete with rotor, caliper and bracket
            http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by F20A CB7 View Post
              so you just removed the hub and bearing every place it with Acura rotor and hub
              Not to be rude, but I have absolutely no idea what you're asking me. I've already said once, DO NOT DO THIS IT DOES NOT WORK. THE 6TH GEN ACCORD KNUCKLES DO NOT WORK. DO NOT DO THIS. THIS DOES T WORK.

Comment

Dam text to speech... if this doesn't work then please tell me why this post is still up giving others the idea that this does work remove it
                **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Because they didn't read the whole thread.

It fits. I want to make that clear. You can install it on to your car. Everything bolts up.

However you cannot drive the car with it. The knuckle rubs the spring. There is no clearance for it. The tie rods don't have enough thread length to safely be attached.

The entire assembly pinches and rubs the brake lines.

This is a VERY unsafe modification and I want this to be here so others will learn from my mistakes. I wasted over 200 dollars doing this, and another 200 fixing it the right way.

Beyond that, it also gives you insane amounts of positive camber.

Comment

You could edit your original post, and mention its wont work at the end.
                    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Can't you just delete the post or ask one of the admins to?
                      sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

I'm a bit confused as to why this doesn't work. Some people on this site have been using the 98-02 v6 spindle for the 5 lug conversion, and the 4 and 5 lug spindles are the same. So in theory...if one can convert to 5 lug using 6th gen parts then a 4 lug spindle swap should be all the same, right? Gonna be doing test fitting this week on my car, I guess I'll keep you guys updated

Comment

Yeah, I've been a bit confused, too. This is my friend's '97 Accord that uses nearly the same suspension as we do. I gave him a set of Tokico HP shocks and springs as well as the front knuckles from my 2003 CL parts car. Those knuckles are the same exact knuckles as these, only with a 5-lug hub instead of a 4-lug hub.

This isn't a fantastic picture, but I think you can still see that there is plenty of clearance between the back of the knuckle and the coil spring.

So let's keep this an open discussion for now. Frijoles, only Sith deal in absolutes, so hold up before you start proclaiming things will or won't work with such exclamation.
                          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

My challenge for this is, why has everyone been using stock spindles for years with Acura 2.2 CL hubs?

My guess is that the 6th gen accord knuckle doesn't work as stated in this thread.
                            Gary A.K.A. Carter
                            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

My answer to that is likely because Cisco (HondaFan81) had a thread eons ago detailing the swap of just the hubs. He had tried ordering '98-'02 Accord 4-lug hubs only to find out that they didn't fit (which any online microfiche would have made obvious), but he did also complain about axle fitment into the splines. This is when he outlined the '98-'99 2.3CL hub swap.

Now, I can't address the axle fitment into the splines as I don't have a '98-'02 4-cylinder hub to test. But I can verify, as I did with the above-posted picture, that the issue is not with the knuckles. There have probably been more than twice the amount of people, if not more, use the knuckles in question for their 5-lug swaps than those who have used 2.3CL hubs. I've never heard of it to be an issue until frijoles posted it.

Frijoles, are you 100% sure you're using CB upper control arms and not early Integra of Civic arms?
                              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Working...
                              X