Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

front strut bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

honestly i never even knew there was a difference between a strut or sway bar. i've been led to believe that they go by both names, now that i know the difference i see where there was confusion and i apologize about that. originally i was asking about the strut bar it's cool though, with searching differently from suggestions i'm starting to be able to find a lot more info on what i need.

Comment

For those of you with a strut bar installed can you actually feel a difference (ie. more precise cornering) or is the mod more cosmetic?

Just wondering myself if it's worth it, sure looks good with the hood popped open.

Comment

The cheap straight strut bar i doubt it. The 3 point such as nuespeed, ESP, sprints NS replica will offer much greater performance benefits. You can find the sprint 3 point for $60'ish on ebay.

02 Crv
        02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
        92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
        Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoner51 View Post
          This is a strut bar.

"and a beautiful one at that sir "
          translation: so IMO even cosmetically i think its a good addition

Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post
          Because when he started it he had less than 30 posts.
          and the others were'nt deleted

Originally posted by Ispintechno View Post
          For those of you with a strut bar installed can you actually feel a difference (ie. more precise cornering) or is the mod more cosmetic?

Just wondering myself if it's worth it, sure looks good with the hood popped open.
          I did feel a difference last time i had one, so i ordered another. Being that these cars were originally engineered to have such squishy handling, i doubt the chassis was engineered to handle aggressive handling facilitated by stiffer suspension and lowering. Probably not as good as welding the seams, but should help stop some of the body flexing, all the weight IS up front on FF cars, right?

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
          The cheap straight strut bar i doubt it. The 3 point such as nuespeed, ESP, sprints NS replica will offer much greater performance benefits. You can find the sprint 3 point for $60'ish on ebay.
          wish I had seen this before ordering mine

Comment

Simple if it hasn't been shipped cancel the order.

And actually the NS and sprints are not a 3 point sorry for saying that was going off memory. While compared to the ESP they're not as good but alot better than the generic designs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-91-92-93-...bce8d6&vxp=mtr

They don't work with the H22s iirc, unless you modify the valve cover or bar itself.

02 Crv
            02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
            92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
            Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

...And actually the NS and sprints are not a 3 point... While compared to the ESP they're not as good but alot better than the generic designs.

How so? The Neuspeed bar is technically a 4-point bar that puts a pre-load on the front suspension. Im not sure if the ESP bar has a pre-load or not...if someone who has experience with an ESP 3-point brace could clarify, i'd appreciate it. If it does not, then i would not consider it to be better. It may be sturdier, but if the ESP bar doesn't pre-load the suspension then i'd go so far as to say the neuspeed 4-point is the superior strut brace.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by islandhopper View Post
                How so? The Neuspeed bar is technically a 4-point bar that puts a pre-load on the front suspension. Im not sure if the ESP bar has a pre-load or not...if someone who has experience with an ESP 3-point brace could clarify, i'd appreciate it. If it does not, then i would not consider it to be better. It may be sturdier, but if the ESP bar doesn't pre-load the suspension then i'd go so far as to say the neuspeed 4-point is the superior strut brace.
                How do you think it pre-loads it? An ESP 3 point style is better than the Neuspeed in that it ties the shock towers to each other and the firewall. The Neuspeed bar just bridges the shock towers.

The Neuspeed is "technically" 4 point, but in practice is only a 2 point. The ESP 3 point is a real 3 point.

92 Accord LX Coupe Build
                91 Prelude H22a Build
                91 Prelude 4WS ALB Build
                You can't rationalize cars like these. They're not something you buy with your head, you buy them with your heart because you love them, and who can explain love?

Comment

Simple if it hasn't been shipped cancel the order.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-91-92-93-...bce8d6&vxp=mtr
                  yeah, too late, i already got my tracking number

the sprint bar does seem to do the same thing far as only tieing the top of the struts together but without the connecting parts/nuts it seems to have less possibility for flexing.

Im not all clear on what preload is/does myself but i think it only applies to coilovers and not springs, which im on. idk

This is the one i ordered
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Forza-OBX-St...0700c4&vxp=mtr
                  Last edited by DCB7; 04-04-2013, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ispintechno View Post

You can definitely feel the difference between having a strut bar and not. When you have on strut bar, your chassis roll is greatly reduced...which makes steering a lot more responsive. Especially if you are on a budget.

Comment

Originally posted by MustardCat View Post
                      How do you think it pre-loads it?...
                      When you install the bar, in most cases, it is necessary to drop one side of the suspension from the UCA bolts in the engine bay. Once the studs have dropped out of the way you need to fasten the other side to leverage against...once you do that you need to hold the unfastened side in place, over the UCA studs, which takes a considerable ammount of effort, again, in most cases. Essentially you're pre-loading the bar since it's being flexed to the correct mounting position. Once it's in position the UCA studs are brought up through the mounting holes and the bar is securely fastened with pre-load set.

With the pre-load set the front end is taut and experiences less flex overall as you begin turn-in through a corner. Essentially, the front end is ready to corner at all times, greatly reducing the time the body needs to settle as you corner.

At least that's my understanding of how they engineered the bar to work. If this is incorrect or flawed, please educate me.

The Neuspeed is "technically" 4 point, but in practice is only a 2 point. The ESP 3 point is a real 3 point.
                      Agreed.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by islandhopper View Post
                        When you install the bar, in most cases, it is necessary to drop one side of the suspension from the UCA bolts in the engine bay. Once the studs have dropped out of the way you need to fasten the other side to leverage against...once you do that you need to hold the unfastened side in place, over the UCA studs, which takes a considerable ammount of effort, again, in most cases. Essentially you're pre-loading the bar since it's being flexed to the correct mounting position. Once it's in position the UCA studs are brought up through the mounting holes and the bar is securely fastened with pre-load set.
                        Yeah I guess that is preload too, I was thinking of the adjustable bars that you need to extend slightly to take up the slack in the mounting hardware. I don't think this would be an issue with ESP because I doubt they will flex enough to need to preload them.

92 Accord LX Coupe Build
                        91 Prelude H22a Build
                        91 Prelude 4WS ALB Build
                        You can't rationalize cars like these. They're not something you buy with your head, you buy them with your heart because you love them, and who can explain love?

Comment

Yeah I guess that is preload too, I was thinking of the adjustable bars that you need to extend slightly to take up the slack in the mounting hardware.
                          which would be this kind, right?

so i can put it on slack and tighten it with that brass looking nut, so its nice and taught, and add preload?(meaning to add more compression to the springs along with the weight of the car?)

and these mount to the three strut bolts, not the uca bolts right? because mine are camber kit bolts right now.

Comment

Originally posted by DCB7 View Post
                            which would be this kind, right?

so i can put it on slack and tighten it with that brass looking nut, so its nice and taught, and add preload?(meaning to add more compression to the springs along with the weight of the car?)
                            They just allow you to take the slack out, they don't compress the springs any.

Originally posted by DCB7 View Post
                            and these mount to the three strut bolts, not the uca bolts right? because mine are camber kit bolts right now.
                            They mount to the 3 shock tower bolts, yes. But those bolts can't be used to adjust camber on these cars because they don't use struts.

92 Accord LX Coupe Build
                            91 Prelude H22a Build
                            91 Prelude 4WS ALB Build

Comment

ok, i know, when i said strut i meant shock tower bolts. its just islandhopper said something about dropping the uca bolts out to install the bar? im thinking, pulling a hard u turn would snap those ebay camber kit bolts in half. Must only apply to the 3 point bar

thanks for the insight

Comment

Working...
                              X