front lower control arm removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front lower control arm removal

Do I have to remove the axle to do this?

Or can I just remove the radius rod and disconnect the LBJ?

thanks

steve

Leave the axle in. Unbolt everything and forget the fork splitter....hit what the bolt goes through. Don't take the nut completely off though. You could damage the threads if you hit them with the hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandoncb7 View Post
      hit what the bolt goes through. Don't take the nut completely off though. You could damage the threads if you hit them with the hammer.
      I would only recommend doing this if you plan on replacing the LBJ.
      Originally posted by Mishakol129
      Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
        I would only recommend doing this if you plan on replacing the LBJ.
        Personally i've never had a problm with it but if it's a possibility heed this man's advice. Thanks for the info DJ.

Comment

I just don't like the idea of slamming a hammer against a perfectly good ball joint, maybe that's just me.
          Originally posted by Mishakol129
          Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Do it right, take the opportunity to buy a puller. It will pay for itself in reduced frustration and damage. Sometimes the bolt at the inner end on the right side is a bear to get out past the transmission (in autos?). You may have to remove the mount through bolt and raise the end of the transmission. If you have everything else disconnected, your may be able to swing the lower arm to the rear some and allow a bit of an angle on the bolt to remove it.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I use my hydraulic jack and a 1/2 drive ratchet to remove the LBJ. It works great.

So does this mean I can leave the axle in?

Comment

whats it matter leaving it in or not its not so much more complex to pull the axle out if its in your way? and disconnecting the balljoint; used pullers... well.. attempted back in the novice days and they always messed something up. then i learned about the wonderful ball peen, two or three good blasts with a 32oz ball peen on the LCA on these little pads cast into the LCA's and the bj will free its self undamaged, its all in the shock. stoner you have sounded pretty mechanically inclined, and theres really no step by step way about things, just general procedures along with your bag of tricks picked up with experience. like i can change out LBJ's with just my ball peen/dead blow and some channel locks and circlip pliers (so i dont sping the circlip using a screwdriver) and some people swaer you have to press them, and some say you can just tap the bearing assembly out of the knuckle wheres as ive been able to tap some out and a set ive had to press out with tons of force while hammering on the knuckle to get it free...

oh and that 1/2 inch wrench handle trick is awesome however ive never been able to get it to go as cake as that video.. =]
                Last edited by illinois_erik; 08-31-2013, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Done. I've always used the jack trick. It is easy for me anyway. I tried the hammer but it wasn't as easy it seemed to take to many hits and I was worried about the wayward swing of the hammer hitting something else.

Now all I have to do are the rear shock mounts the bottoms and I am done with the suspension.

There was a DIY or something using the UCA bushings form the energy suspension kit but now that I need it I can't find it.

steve

Comment

How do you guys remove the passenger lca? I can never get the bolt to clear the transmission
                    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I have a 5 spd. I didn't have any trouble.

steve

Comment

Working...
                      X