CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Site Features > Members' Rides

Old 10-25-2017, 03:07 PM   #41
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to Jarrett
Your issues are not specific to the fact that you have a Euro R engine. You know what the issue is with the power steering pump, and once you've resolved it, that will no longer be a concern.

As for the header clearance, that's on a case-by-case basis with each header manufacturer. Many aftermarket headers require you to grind some material away on the crossmember in order to get them to fit. The ones modeled after the basic 4-2-1 DC Sports header usually didn't, but with poor copies come poor fitment. Assuming the exhaust that's on the car was originally purchased for a '90-'93 Accord, the '92-'96 Prelude VTEC header and OEM catalytic converter should have fit perfectly. I know you're using a test pipe, but I don't know what the length was and what you ultimately ended up with.
If you see any threads or posts of mine whose picture links are broken (there are a lot), please send me a link to the thread. I will gladly fix them. I don't see it as a fruitless burden. This site has helped give me quite a bit of my drive and passion for cars, and fixing my picture links is the least I can do to give back.
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #42
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member

G. Wiffington is cool... so far.
Thanks for the input. Yupp I know the CB's Powersteering pump is not right for the setup I was just going run it temporarily. It makes the engine bay look weird too with the F22 pump.

You are right about the header fitment. I remember reading that on the Swap FAQ. It was actually pretty easy to grind the crossmember to make it fit.

The downpipe length was a head scratching moment because I know I bought a header downpipe package for a '92-'95 Prelude model. Maybe I did not specify that it should be for the VTEC engine & not the F22 that came in some Preludes. I have to go look at my paperwork again to make sure. But, when I first bought my car 2 years ago it had a complete ebay setup from header to muffler. Then I switched to a yonaka catback & reused the testpipe & header. I am not sure on the length of the OEM catalytic converter but maybe the length of the test pipe that came on my car was shorter.

I want to say the testpipe for my setup had to be about 14" or so to connect.

Current setup: DNA Header & Downpipe -> DNA Adjustable Test Pipe -> Yonaka Catback. Cheap aftermarket special lol.

Last edited by G. Wiffington; 10-25-2017 at 03:56 PM. Reason: forgot something
G. Wiffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:33 PM   #43
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
The header for any other '92-'96 Prelude would not have worked because of the difference in flange pattern at the cylinder head. You would not have been able to even attach it to the engine.

As for the length, it sounds like you got a '97-'01 header, instead. The '92-'96 Prelude header is the same length as the CB header. Getting the '92-'96 Prelude VTEC header is akin to buying a header made for a CB with an H22. Maybe that's another casualty of the cheap manufacturing. Who knows?
If you see any threads or posts of mine whose picture links are broken (there are a lot), please send me a link to the thread. I will gladly fix them. I don't see it as a fruitless burden. This site has helped give me quite a bit of my drive and passion for cars, and fixing my picture links is the least I can do to give back.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:47 PM   #44
HenRoc
Black Thunder

HenRoc seems to have made some friends! HenRoc seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to HenRoc
Looks awesome man! Did you ever figure out the ECU issue?
1993 Accord EX
OG since 'o3
'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video
HenRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:17 AM   #45
SSMAccord
CB7tuner Member

SSMAccord seems to have made some friends! SSMAccord seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via Yahoo to SSMAccord
The issue that I encountered with my Euro R swap was interference between the header downpipe and the oil pan. The Euro R uses a stamped steel Accord oil pan and uniquely shaped downpipe to clear the oil pan. I swapped to a cast prelude oil pan to alleviate the issue.

Downpipe: Euro R vs. Prelude *not my image*
37180184315_1f1306f841_o by inque80, on Flickr

Euro-R Oil Pan vs. 97-01 Prelude Oil Pan
IMG_2648 by inque80, on Flickr
SSMAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:49 AM   #46
Rilas
Gold Member

Rilas seems to have made some friends!
As a bit of info after driving around for years I actually prefer the aluminum oil pans now. I've had so many issues sealing the steel ones with a gasket. They always want to leak somewhere. The aluminum ones just require a small gasket and a gasket sealer all the way around, so much easier. Also it would make your header problems go away as stated above. I've purchased 2 from the dealership now.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:52 AM   #47
Alex13mod
CB7tuner Member

Alex13mod is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to Alex13mod Send a message via MSN to Alex13mod Send a message via Yahoo to Alex13mod Send a message via Skype™ to Alex13mod
I cant wait to see the progress.

1992 Honda Accord EX My Ride Thread H23A BLUE TOP Complete
Alex13mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:10 PM   #48
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
The header for any other '92-'96 Prelude would not have worked because of the difference in flange pattern at the cylinder head. You would not have been able to even attach it to the engine.

As for the length, it sounds like you got a '97-'01 header, instead. The '92-'96 Prelude header is the same length as the CB header. Getting the '92-'96 Prelude VTEC header is akin to buying a header made for a CB with an H22. Maybe that's another casualty of the cheap manufacturing. Who knows?
True, I forgot that the flange pattern is different between the F22 & H22. I am going to go with the cheap manufacturing lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenRoc View Post
Looks awesome man! Did you ever figure out the ECU issue?
Thank you! I am currently waiting on a P13 in the mail but I did get it running from using a P28. I got my distributor just waiting on injectors & P13. I will report back when I have it all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMAccord View Post
The issue that I encountered with my Euro R swap was interference between the header downpipe and the oil pan. The Euro R uses a stamped steel Accord oil pan and uniquely shaped downpipe to clear the oil pan. I swapped to a cast prelude oil pan to alleviate the issue.

Downpipe: Euro R vs. Prelude *not my image*
37180184315_1f1306f841_o by inque80, on Flickr

Euro-R Oil Pan vs. 97-01 Prelude Oil Pan
IMG_2648 by inque80, on Flickr
Nice! For some reason the downpipe I am using is a very close fit to the oil pan but I have some space. How did it do with clearing the crossmember? Did you have to make room?
Also, just so I know for the future..the oil pan you used was the '97-'01 Prelude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilas View Post
As a bit of info after driving around for years I actually prefer the aluminum oil pans now. I've had so many issues sealing the steel ones with a gasket. They always want to leak somewhere. The aluminum ones just require a small gasket and a gasket sealer all the way around, so much easier. Also it would make your header problems go away as stated above. I've purchased 2 from the dealership now.
That's funny you say that about the leaks because it looks like the pan on mine is a little leaky. I even noticed it when the Euro was still on the palette. I'll end up changing it eventually as well.

Last edited by Jarrett; 10-26-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:49 PM   #49
SSMAccord
CB7tuner Member

SSMAccord seems to have made some friends! SSMAccord seems to have made some friends!
The crossmember/stiffener isn't an issue with the either stock downpipe. Certain headers require notching the forward crossmember as you already know.

The 97-01 Prelude has the cast oil pan, where as the 93-96 Prelude models have a stamped oil pan like the Euro-R. The cast pan does have a bolted on stiffener/clutch cover that I haven't found a way to install without having interference with the Accord support brace. But the oil pan fits perfectly fine without it.

The main benefit of using the Prelude oil pan is the shape of the sump; it is angled differently from the Euro-R pan and provides clearance for the Prelude downpipe. You can see how the angles are different in the oil pan images.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #50
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member

Thanks that is useful knowledge for the future.

I think I saw the clutch cover you are talking about. It looks like the thin metal flywheel cover on the F22s right?
Old 11-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #51
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member

She Is Alive!

I have not made any updates on my swap because I have been busy but, the Euro is up & running great!

Finally got Hondata on Friday & hooked it up on Sunday. I used a calibration that I found on the Hondata forum & it works really well. I have not done much but cruised around my neighborhood but this thing sounds awesome.

I might get my Dad to ride with me to do a little street tune. No hard pulls or anything, just to try to get a nice partial throttle drive.

I do have that "whine" noise from the timing belt but, oh well. I read about a bunch of people on the preludeonline.com forum having the same issue after doing the manual tensioner conversion.

So, now all I have to do is get it to a dyno & tuned. There is a performance shop not too far from me call JE Import Performance Inc. who tune with Hondata that I will probably go to. I have a week off in December so I think I may schedule a session during that week.

Oh yeah, does it make a difference when tuning in warmer weather vs tuning during colder weather? Since I live on the East Coast the weather is starting to get chilly (48 Degrees as a high today).
Old 11-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #52
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member

Don't mind the ugly header..cheap ass exhaust paint started pealing off lol.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #53
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member

Old 11-13-2017, 05:29 PM   #54
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Engine is looking great! Glad you've got it up and running.

Yes, there is a difference between a cold weather and warm weather tune. The cooler air is more dense and will cause AFRs to fluctuate in comparison to a warmer environment. Your elevation should be pretty close to zero over in Maryland, though.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:40 PM   #55
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member

Thanks! Feels good when hard work pays off.

Yeah I kinda thought the air temp would have an affect.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:06 AM   #56
SSMAccord
CB7tuner Member

I'm glad you got this up and running. Congrats!!

The part I was mentioning in the previous post would replace that stamped part that covers the flywheel.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:06 PM   #57
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member

Thank you! Yes I figured that was the part you mentioned.
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #58
HenRoc
Black Thunder

HenRoc seems to have made some friends! HenRoc seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to HenRoc
Did that ECU come with the Hondata pre-installed? Man I like the ABS delete too, I already have parts I saved from my old sedan but I'm not looking to delete the system unless it fails first.

Good work man
1993 Accord EX
OG since 'o3
'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video
HenRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM   #59
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member

I just sent a P28 to phearable & they installed the Hondata s300.

The ABS delete is pretty nice. Only reason I took out mine was because the modulator was leaking. There are so many hard lines coming from that thing & I was not sure where it was leaking from.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: