Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car turns over but dont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car turns over but dont start

I just tried to turn on my car today. it turns over but it dont wanna start. . i did just put in a system in it yesterday (no crazy subs just speakers and 400 wat amp). I'm either thinking the battery is dead and or the starter is dead. And before i had the system it will have a hard time time starting. I will have to turn the key at least twice for it to turn on.

Check your grounds and battery connections. Make sure everything is clean and tight.

If it turns over, it's not the starter. If it starts eventually, it's not the battery... though a weak battery or dirty/loose cables COULD cause a crank but no start.

Comment

Check your ignition too.

I had similar symptom before and ended up being my distributors ignition module that went bad.
      1993 Accord LX Coupe 5spd

Comment

That is very true.
        The best way to check for that is to see if you are getting a spark from the spark plugs. The ignitor and ignition coil could both cause a no-spark situation. Both would be smart things to replace anyway, as they are wear items that are very likely 20 years old already.

Comment

Also

Check to see if you have any fuel in tank hopefully not a bad fuel pump clean terminals recharge battery or try to get a boost good luck Billy.
          Destiny Struggles To Reassert The Pattern That Was Meant To Be. Also Some Of These Members Are Wise Guys With There Wise Guy Answers . Also only inexperienced drivers put donuts in front . You can follow me but it's going to hurt!

Comment

Originally posted by ssondubs View Post
            Check your ignition too.

I had similar symptom before and ended up being my distributors ignition module that went bad.
            where is the ignition module?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              That is very true.
              The best way to check for that is to see if you are getting a spark from the spark plugs. The ignitor and ignition coil could both cause a no-spark situation. Both would be smart things to replace anyway, as they are wear items that are very likely 20 years old already.
              how can i know if the ignitor and coil is bad? will it show it? and where can i find this so i can replace it.

Comment

In the distributor. Take off the cap, remove the rotor (I suggest replacing these things while you're at it), remove the dust shield, and you'll see the ignitor (ignition module). It's the piece that has 3 gel-coated plugs on it. Pull the plugs off carefully, and inscrew it (I think it has 2 screws holding it in... it's been a while.) It's very easy to replace. It can be done on the car, so you don't mess up your ignition timing.

Please use the edit button when you have something you want to add, rather than posting twice in a row.

You will not know if they are bad just by looking at them. I'm sure they can be tested with the proper tools, but I don't know how to do that. I would simply replace them, as they're certainly old and in need of replacement anyway.

Comment

My car had done the same thing at one point, I originally thought it was fuel pump, but if you have someone turn the car to on, and listen near the filler cap, you will hear the fuel system pressurize. If you hear it then the fuel pump is good. At that point I took a spark plug out, and grounded it on the frame and tried to turn the car over, No spark so I replaced the distributor ($15 at a wrecker) and had it rollin again.
                  I hope this might help..
                  obviously you could go the route the others have said and replace the internals of the dizzy. But when I had been fixing the car in CanadianTire parking lot a $90 coil wasn't lookin to nice.

See Deev, I'm not a total car retard..

Comment

Replacing a good distributor for a used one that may be failing isn't exactly smart. If you're cheap, try using junkyard coil and ignitor instead.

Comment

its you Dizzy bro its always the dizzy pull a plug and put it back in the wire check for spark i can almost guaranty you will have none. the ICM always goes bad. re post and let us know what happens...

Comment

I had this problem and it was my main relay but let us no what your solution was thanks

91 lx that I call Cinnamon

Comment

I still haven't figured out the starting issue now another issue occurred.. It died on me while at a red light. . And it was having problems starting then. Idk what could be the problem. My bro said it could be the fuel pump but I'm not sure. What do you guy think?

Comment

Originally posted by cb7 typs View Post
                            its you Dizzy bro its always the dizzy pull a plug and put it back in the wire check for spark i can almost guaranty you will have none. the ICM always goes bad. re post and let us know what happens...
                            Please don't post if you don't know what you're talking about... or if you insist on typing like a 6 year old. If the ICM (ignitor) is bad, the entire distributor does not need to be replaced. That has already been covered, but apparently you're too lazy to bother reading the entire thread before posting. Nice first impression, "bro".

Originally posted by 91LXGOLD View Post
                            I had this problem and it was my main relay but let us no what your solution was thanks
                            The main relay would cause a no-fuel situation. To this point, we've been assuming it's a spark issue... but honestly, there's nothing said by the OP to confirm it's spark, so yes... that's possible. The main relay isn't known for making the car cut out while it's already running, though. It could happen, but it's definitely not common with our cars.

Originally posted by Ely585 View Post
                            I still haven't figured out the starting issue now another issue occurred.. It died on me while at a red light. . And it was having problems starting then. Idk what could be the problem. My bro said it could be the fuel pump but I'm not sure. What do you guy think?
                            I can't believe I was the first one to reply to this thread and I didn't ask you if you confirmed the no-start was due to a lack of spark or fuel!

That's the FIRST thing you need to check. Are you getting spark? Are you getting fuel? You're missing one of those. Determine what it is, and it'll be much easier to figure things out.

It could be the fuel pump, but it's not likely. I don't hear of many fuel pumps randomly working then cutting out. Usually when they go bad, the car just won't start anymore. The main relay would be more likely, but again (as I said above), the symptoms don't really say main relay to me.

Determine if you're lacking spark or fuel, then get back to us. We'll be able to help you much more once we know what it is your engine isn't getting.

Comment

I have confirmed that there is spark. .Although, No fuel pressure at the fuel line coming off the filter. . . Fuel pump is done. maybe a clogged filter..but im going to buy a whole new fuel pump. .I also did some research about fuel pump symptoms. . One of them was it can cause an engine to stall.. It may turn on and run but not for long unless u put it in nuetral at a red light keep the RPM high n not let it stall. . And this is what exactly happen to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X