Question about Wagon Trunk Compartment mod for abs coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Wagon Trunk Compartment mod for abs coupe

OK so i am putting the wagon trunk lid assembly in my coupe and i got a couple questions. I already got all the pieces i need and am about to start cutting what i need.
    My first question is about the piece closest to the rear seat that holds the lid. How does this fasten and do i just cut it like a square as the space is 33 inches wide without cutting into the side panels. Do i cut it slightly wide at top so i can notch it into panels.

My second question i think i already know. Where can i remount the abs unit as no way i can leave it there. Or do i need to cut into my drivers side panel? As the side box on drivers side really needs to go in an inch it seems to sit correctly.

Anything or anywhere else i need to cut. I have been thru a lot of these posts but most pics don't work anymore and i see no diy or any pics on ones with abs.

You don't need to cut anything. Just remove the rear seat, then remove the braces that cover the shock towers. After those are removed install the front most piece from the interior of the car. After it is in place, replace the braces and the rear seat. Then you can just bolt the rest of the pieces to the front piece that is now solidly held in place.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

As for the ABS module-I just unbolted it and unplugged it, flipped it to the other side of the brace that it was mounted it so that it's now between the brace and the quarter panel. Bolt it back down and plug everything back in.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
        You don't need to cut anything. Just remove the rear seat, then remove the braces that cover the shock towers. After those are removed install the front most piece from the interior of the car. After it is in place, replace the braces and the rear seat. Then you can just bolt the rest of the pieces to the front piece that is now solidly held in place.
        I don't see how that is possible without at least cutting the cardboard trunk panels. Are you referring to a 4 door? I am looking and looking at it and i can't see it fitting without cutting something. Is the front piece going to fit underneath those panels?

Comment

You will have to trim the bottom corners of the panels off in the front to clear the ears of the storage compartment piece. But you don't need to cut the wagon trunk stuff at all. I was looking for a picture of what needs to be trimmed, but I don't have any at a good angle for the side pieces.

Comment

The 2 shock tower braces stick out almost an inch now due to the upper part of trunk lid being tucked in there. Does this really support anything. Can i just remove the braces altogether?

Comment

Zed not really sure what your talking about the braces sticking out almost an inch now. Here is a picture of my wagon trunk storage pieces being installed. Granted this is from 3 years ago, but the braces went in flush just like before I took them off.

Front Wagon Storage Compartment Piece

Once I got the rear extended top hats I had to remove the braces as the top hats extend up into the same area they take up.

Comment

Zed not really sure what your talking about the braces sticking out almost an inch now. Here is a picture of my wagon trunk storage pieces being installed. Granted this is from 3 years ago, but the braces went in flush just like before I took them off.

Front Wagon Storage Compartment Piece

Once I got the rear extended top hats I had to remove the braces as the top hats extend up into the same area they take up.
                what is a top hat?

It is the bottom part of passengers side brace that hits top part. The other brace sits in there fine. I can put some washers on it or cut into top part wagon lid. I think washers is better. What is that brace even for?
                Last edited by zedjr10; 04-25-2019, 03:35 PM.

Comment

At top hat is the piece at the top of the strut that has the bushings in it and holds the spring onto the strut. Here is a picture of the rear extended top hats sitting by themselves.

The braces provide extra rigidity to the chassis of the car. There must be something wrong with how you have the wagon piece installed in the car. I've installed them in 4 different Accord's now and have never had interference with the braces.

Comment

At top hat is the piece at the top of the strut that has the bushings in it and holds the spring onto the strut. Here is a picture of the rear extended top hats sitting by themselves.

The braces provide extra rigidity to the chassis of the car. There must be something wrong with how you have the wagon piece installed in the car. I've installed them in 4 different Accord's now and have never had interference with the braces.
                    It's just the passengers side. The upper part wagon lid also sits a little lower on the passenger side i think.I will have to check. That might be the reason it rubs it. I have tried and tried but it only moves so far left and right. I might have to put something underneath on passenger side. This wagon lid is off a 93 ex. I read 92-93 are the same and don't get 90-91 for a 92. Not sure if that has something to do with it or not. I have the whole assembly in it now. I just have to cut the edges near back seat. The part near trunk lid is very tight and when i lift lid it squeezes in so i can no longer easily close it. Will have to see and report back how it turns out after i cut those panels.
                    btw i now get what top hats are. I don't have any on mine.

Comment

Zed I promise you have rear top hats on your car. Otherwise your struts wouldn't be attached to the chassis of the car. Yours are made from stamped steel, welded together. They are painted black and much much shorter than the ones I linked in the picture.

Comment

Zed I promise you have rear top hats on your car. Otherwise your struts wouldn't be attached to the chassis of the car. Yours are made from stamped steel, welded together. They are painted black and much much shorter than the ones I linked in the picture.
                        i don't see those top hats interfering with anything. Am going to have to cut the panel on the rear passengers side near trunk it seems. No way is this fitting without doing that. The panels squeeze way too tightly on those side attachments it seems. Not sure why yalls fit so well with only cutting the panels near rear seat. Mine definitely do not.

Comment

i got the panels cut as needed and everything else for it to fit. But the braces don't fit on either side. The drivers side is about a half inch off and the passengers side a little more. The options i got are cut the ears off a little on that top lid part. My second choice is just leave the braces off. And my third is either bend the braces a bit or put some washes in there to take up the space. Not sure what would be best option as not even sure the importance of those braces. Stops the cabin from bending as much on side impacts maybe? Anyone got any thoughts?

after another attempt i realize those ears must be cut off of top part of wagon lid assembly. It needs to slide toward trunk a half inch. It is rubbing up against sheet metal so no way it is going farther.
                          Last edited by zedjr10; 04-25-2019, 10:00 PM.

Comment

When I installed mine, I cut about 3/4 inch or so off the bottom of front part of the floor so it sat a little lower and allowed me to install the braces without a problem. The braces on mine help to clamp the front piece into place.

This post has some info on what I did to install mine: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showpost...&postcount=101
                            Last edited by Fleetw00d; 04-25-2019, 11:50 PM.
                            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                              When I installed mine, I about an inch or so off the bottom of front part of the floor so it sat a little lower and allowed me to install the braces without a problem. The braces on mine help to clamp the front piece into place.

This post has some info on what I did to install mine: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showpost...&postcount=101
                              U mean the edges of it on both sides that look like ears almost? Or did u mean a half inch all the way across it? I plan on hacking off half of the ear part tomorrow. The other easy fits people had i think must of been sedans.

Comment

Working...
                              X