Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap Suspension Question

Hello,

I just bought my 5th accord, I plan on using it as a daily after I swap the tranny out since it's bad. The suspension on the car isn't in that great of shape, and I don't plan on doing anything special with this car or being hard on it.

If you search on eBay: "1990 honda accord suspension kit"

or

"Kit suspension steering parts control arms tie rod ball joint Honda Accord 90 93"

It comes with some ball joints, control arms, etc... My concern is the safety of these parts, so my question is has anyone had any luck with kits like this on eBay?
    For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

Junk. Not worth taking if someone wanted to give them to you.

If your concerned as to the safety of the parts then that alone should be enough to steer you away. Listen to your self. Don't look for someone else to come along to try and justify it.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
      Junk. Not worth taking if someone wanted to give them to you.

If your concerned as to the safety of the parts then that alone should be enough to steer you away. Listen to your self. Don't look for someone else to come along to try and justify it.
      Thanks man, I was looking for that straight answer.

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

Comment

nope, those kits are good for installing when youre selling it and dont have to redo shit 3-4 months down the road lol. I had a good experience with the carquest parts i had to buy to replace my ebay stuff, they outlasted the car (~1 year later) Id even be more prone to reuse old stock stuff then new ebay no name stuff if moneys tight or what have you, if i was rich id use all oem, but its expensive, but lasts 20 years

Comment

Originally posted by BreckAConner View Post
          Hello,

I just bought my 5th accord, I plan on using it as a daily after I swap the tranny out since it's bad. The suspension on the car isn't in that great of shape, and I don't plan on doing anything special with this car or being hard on it.

If you search on eBay: "1990 honda accord suspension kit"

or

"Kit suspension steering parts control arms tie rod ball joint Honda Accord 90 93"

It comes with some ball joints, control arms, etc... My concern is the safety of these parts, so my question is has anyone had any luck with kits like this on eBay?
          DO NOT buy cheap parts off ebay for suspension, brakes, engine or other important safety features of your car. Period. You WILL regret it.

I bet they don't even have a brand name to them. And in the end you will pay twice as much fixing the part that broke and parts it has broken when they fail. In the end you will have wished you had just bought OEM or some quality part instead and the lesson will be learnt.

Cheap = not good. Period. Ever see a lower ball joint fail on a Honda while driving on the highway?

What I do recommend if you want to use ebay is find the OEM part # for the part(s) you want and search for that. At least then you will be ordering the OEM part at a cheaper price from China or wherever and you will be safe. There are other cheaper manufactured parts that are safe to use but stay away from the "no name ebay junk".

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
            nope, those kits are good for installing when youre selling it and dont have to redo shit 3-4 months down the road lol. I had a good experience with the carquest parts i had to buy to replace my ebay stuff, they outlasted the car (~1 year later) Id even be more prone to reuse old stock stuff then new ebay no name stuff if moneys tight or what have you, if i was rich id use all oem, but its expensive, but lasts 20 years
            I used carquest outer tie rod ends on my 93. They made it 6 months.

Front upper control arms Dorman $35 each.
            LBJ's OEM $55 pair.
            Outer tie rod ends Moog $60 pair.
            Sway bar end links Prothane $25.
            *Inner tie rods ends I have never replaced before. I just replace the whole rack.*

That's the brands I would suggest. Prolly different for all of us but that's my suggestion.

And your welcome BreckAConner.

EDIT: Never mind Erik. I lied. I could have swore they were carquest but according to my pics they were something else.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 11-24-2014, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              Cheap = not good. Period. Ever see a lower ball joint fail on a Honda while driving on the highway?
              Not on the highway, but I've had mine fail on my 1st cb in a parking lot. I can't imagine the damage done if so.

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

Comment

Front upper control arms Dorman $35 each.
                LBJ's OEM $55 pair.
                Outer tie rod ends Moog $60 pair.
                Sway bar end links Prothane $25.
                *Inner tie rods ends I have never replaced before. I just replace the whole rack.*
                Why did you have to replace the rack, do they usually go bad?

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by BreckAConner View Post
                  Why did you have to replace the rack, do they usually go bad?
                  Leaking. I have no idea if they go bad frequently or not. Sorry I can't help you there.

Comment

I just wanted to second this. I've done inner tie rods without doing the rack before but I don't think I will again. The replacement boots that I've found for this job are cheap plastic and not the high quality rubber like OEM. This won't hold to each end where it's clamped as well because there's not as much give in it. I've even had a pair that physically would not fit. If the cost of going OEM Honda is considered for the boots, then I'm approaching what I would be spending on a remanufactured rack. Plus I get the added benefit of a new steering rack with a warranty.
                    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                      If the cost of going OEM Honda is considered for the boots, then I'm approaching what I would be spending on a remanufactured rack. Plus I get the added benefit of a new steering rack with a warranty.
                      How good have the remanufactured racks been? Ever rebuilt one yourself? To the best of my knowledge, my 90 still has the original rack on it (inner and outer rods replaced) at 325,000 miles; I've never had to replace one on any of my Accords ('til now). My daughter is bringing the wagon home for Christmas and I know both boots are split. I'm debating just swapping in the rack as-is from my wrecked 93 EX (181,000), or installing new inners and boots, or rebuilding the entire rack (have all the seals) so I have it ready to go in when she gets home.
                      Last edited by Fleetw00d; 11-24-2014, 11:54 PM.
                      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                        I just wanted to second this. I've done inner tie rods without doing the rack before but I don't think I will again. The replacement boots that I've found for this job are cheap plastic and not the high quality rubber like OEM. This won't hold to each end where it's clamped as well because there's not as much give in it. I've even had a pair that physically would not fit. If the cost of going OEM Honda is considered for the boots, then I'm approaching what I would be spending on a remanufactured rack. Plus I get the added benefit of a new steering rack with a warranty.
                        Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                        How good have the remanufactured racks been? Ever rebuilt one yourself? To the best of my knowledge, my 90 still has the original rack on it (inner and outer rods replaced) at 325,000 miles; I've never had to replace one on any of my Accords ('til now). My daughter is bringing the wagon home for Christmas and I know both boots are split. I'm debating just swapping in the rack as-is from my 93 EX (181,000), or installing new inners and boots, or rebuilding the entire rack (have all the seals) so I have it ready to go in when she gets home.
                        My 1993 had the OEM rack and was still good when it was smashed into sitting in a parking lot at 375,000 miles. (Yeah, my butt's still sore about it ). But my 1991 that I currently have was just pissing PSF everywhere and the boots were shot when I bought it in 2010.

I went with Detroit Axle. It seems to be a popular choice. I personally talked to the guy about a proper system flush when I received it and he seems like a straight shooter. They have a life time warranty and cost $135 shipped. Mine has 3500 miles on it currently. IDK how much of a testament that is to it but that's all I can say for mine personally.
                        Last edited by H311RA151N; 11-24-2014, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I have a reman rack in my SE from AutoZone, no problems yet and over a year of service with a limited lifetime warranty. I spent around $170 for the unit and it had a core charge of around $50 if I recall correctly.

Comment

My rack failed on my 93 coupe back in 2010 with maybe 225k on the odo.

I went with a NAPA unit for 210 including core exchange. Its been great, no noises, premium boots, they feel like a high quality silicone and zero leaks. Also has a lifetime warranty. I think mine was reman'd in the USA. I've got literally 5 locations nearby that could get one shipped to their store the next day, so that's one advantage over eBay. Plus, you won't have to pay shipping.

You could buy cheaper at Autozone, but its most likely using sub-par plastic brittle boots and remanufactured in Mexico.

I've never had an issue with any NAPA part I've purchased even if they're a bit more money.

member's ride thread
                            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                            91 Accord SE 176k
                            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Autozone is an A1 Cardone. They also offer an Atlantic Automotive brand for about $25 more.

Waiting on a text back from a friend who works at Napa. But I could have swore he said A1 Cardone was one of their part suppliers.

I know with absolute certainty that my brake booster and master cylinder I bought for my truck from Napa two weeks ago was an A1 Cardone.

Comment

Working...
                              X