CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Appearance

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #21
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
That does look really good.

Doing something like that is best done for the sake of the project, not just the result. If you just want a painted car, there are far easier ways to do it. If you want the experience of doing it that particular way, that's another story.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #22
TracieS
CB7tuner Member

TracieS seems to have made some friends! TracieS seems to have made some friends!
Only reason I did mine because my buddy parents own a paint store and I got most of the supply's for really cheap. And I thought it would be a cool project to do. And I didn't wanna pay a bunch of money to get it professinal sprayed because I live in a apartment complex and there is a lot of careless assholes who don't care about you car. But my buddy recently got his da painted by macco and they charged him 200 dollars and it came out good but he also has a garge to leave his in.

STANCE|WORKS
TracieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #23
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to Jarrett
Dings and dents are just a reality of owning a car. $200 for a paintjob is a great deal if you ask me, regardless of where the car spends most of its life. Sand, fill, prime, mask off everything and roll it up to Maaco.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #24
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracieS View Post
Only reason I did mine because my buddy parents own a paint store and I got most of the supply's for really cheap. And I thought it would be a cool project to do. And I didn't wanna pay a bunch of money to get it professinal sprayed because I live in a apartment complex and there is a lot of careless assholes who don't care about you car. But my buddy recently got his da painted by macco and they charged him 200 dollars and it came out good but he also has a garge to leave his in.
Honestly, $200 is probably what the "$50 paint job" is going to cost for most people when you've gotten all the necessary tools and materials.

And it's "supplies". An apostrophe doesn't pluralize things. Ever.
(sorry... EVERYONE here seems to do that, and it's like nails on a chalkboard to me! reading one too many posts my speedfr3ak today pretty much exhausted my poor-grammar/spelling buffer!)

Old 10-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #25
TracieS
CB7tuner Member

TracieS seems to have made some friends! TracieS seems to have made some friends!
Lol yea im on my iPad and it auto corrects a lot of things and sometimes I don't go back and change it.

STANCE|WORKS
TracieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #26
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

I figured. You're not one to say dumb stuff usually... As I said, that dude just used up all tolerance I had for gibberish today!

Old 10-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #27
Accrdwgnguy
Contributing Member

Accrdwgnguy seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Accrdwgnguy
I'd pay 200 for a "professional" paint job before I ever spent days rolling paint on a car. Your time isn't free either, I suspect after you add up the labor involved its way over $200 for that $50 paintjob.
Accrdwgnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #28
Dizzy
Newcomer

Dizzy is cool... so far.
If i had a better camera, you would see that it REALLY needs the paint. It was originally just a red, but the kid I purchased it from painted over it with the orange. It has spots of bright red showing and every panel of the car is just a different shade. Keeping it like that is just not going to happen. I think doing the maaco route is what i'm going to end up doing. That red may be "rare" but it isn't done well. And i fucking hate red.
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #29
Scolirk
CB7tuner Member

Scolirk is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
If i had a better camera, you would see that it REALLY needs the paint. It was originally just a red, but the kid I purchased it from painted over it with the orange. It has spots of bright red showing and every panel of the car is just a different shade. Keeping it like that is just not going to happen. I think doing the maaco route is what i'm going to end up doing. That red may be "rare" but it isn't done well. And i fucking hate red.
Sounds like my dad's old Civic Wagon haha. By the time we junked it, the original red paint was almost lost in the sea of grey and red primer. If you have time to take some more photos I'd love to see them. Also, is your grill filled with bling diamonds :P ?
Scolirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #30
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

I'm not a fan of red either, though I do admire a clean Phoenix Red CB7. My friend has one (though it needs paint now too.)

That black interior makes certain color options very attractive, though. I've always loved a black interior with: dark blue, dark red, pearl white, or even beige/brown.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #31
islandhopper
Contributing Member

islandhopper seems to have made some friends! islandhopper seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolirk View Post
...Also, is your grill filled with bling diamonds :P ?
Looks like a checker-board pattern to me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
...i fucking hate red.
Im with the OP on this one. Get rid of that awful red color. I would go for blue but that's just me...im a slut for blue CBs.

Form.Follows.Function
islandhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #32
toycar
CB7tuner Member

toycar is very helpful toycar is very helpful toycar is very helpful
I liked the dip option.

Whats wrong with the plastidip? That blue has a nice satin look to it. I dig it.
toycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #33
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

I need to learn more about plastidip. It intrigues me, but I've never seen it in person. I wonder what maintenance is required to keep it looking like that. I could imagine it getting scored and scuffed pretty easily.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #34
toycar
CB7tuner Member

toycar is very helpful toycar is very helpful toycar is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
I need to learn more about plastidip. It intrigues me, but I've never seen it in person. I wonder what maintenance is required to keep it looking like that. I could imagine it getting scored and scuffed pretty easily.
Clicked the link and it looked like they offer a clear gloss of sorts, and it actually seems like a lot of people are having luck with this/per quick Google search.

I dunno, if it was shotty I doubt people would be painting their supra's and audi's with it.

I plastidip my tools, and that works out pretty good.

I just might try something. I have a few body panels laying around the shop, maybe Ill check that out.
toycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #35
Charlie240sxt
CB7tuner Member

Charlie240sxt is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to Charlie240sxt
People on the dip fourms say it will last about a 1 1/2 2 years if its an outside car and much longer if its a rarly used and is a garage queen. Look up YouTube videos for how to repair tares and stuff. Now the first kit you buy is like $350 but after that every dip job will only cost $200. They have fourms read up boys...
1991 240sx current paper weight for sale
Have a 240sx Q ask me
Sorry I just think body kits are ***.
Still lurking around......

Last edited by Charlie240sxt; 10-08-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Charlie240sxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #36
crazymikey
CB7tuner Member

crazymikey is very helpful crazymikey is very helpful
That Audi, Lancer and Supra look awful. Cars like that should not have shit paint. Totally ruined IMO. I just don't get it.

If I had a nice $30k+ car like that,you think I'd be doing a $100 paint job on it? Hell no.

Plastidip is also some awful stuff. I've used it a couple times, and I swear I will never touch this stuff again. It sprays like shit and globs up. People say it's easy to peel it off. Hahahaha....no.
crazymikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #37
Scolirk
CB7tuner Member

Scolirk is cool... so far.
A friend of mine was seriously considering plastidip-ing his M3 rims. His thought was if they got scratched, it would just scratch the dip off, and protect the rim. Honestly at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference. I like the look of that blue Audi, I think it looks really sharp. Would I do that to my Audi if I owned it? Probably not. Would I do it with my $2,000 CB? Probably not.

At the end of the day whether you decide you want to roller on paint, go to a cheap shop or spray paint the car, you have to do what YOU want. It's your ride, your project. Either way I'm curious to see what you decide to do.
Scolirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #38
Pinchmyhandle
Banned

Pinchmyhandle is cool... so far.
That Phoenix red paint looks great. I think I have decided what color my CB is gonna be once the body work is done!

As far as paint with a roller. I have had great results with flat colors, glossy paint never comes out well with a roller in my opinion.
Pinchmyhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #39
Charlie240sxt
CB7tuner Member

Charlie240sxt is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to Charlie240sxt
Check out this video on YouTube:<br/><br/>http://youtu.be/MfdlM5daa04

Not to hard to remove and nobody uses the spary cans anymore (at least not to do the whole car)
1991 240sx current paper weight for sale
Have a 240sx Q ask me
Sorry I just think body kits are ***.
Still lurking around......

Last edited by Charlie240sxt; 10-08-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Charlie240sxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #40
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchmyhandle View Post
That Phoenix red paint looks great. I think I have decided what color my CB is gonna be once the body work is done!

As far as paint with a roller. I have had great results with flat colors, glossy paint never comes out well with a roller in my opinion.
Glossy paint can be done, but it takes some effort. Wetsanding, buffing, etc...

Tags
cheap , diy , paint , rustoleum

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: