Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Brake pedal sinks every so often

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake pedal sinks every so often

Hey guys, I have a slight problem.

Just bought my 92 EX, and everything is great on it inside and out.

Just a few minor problems I saw, one being the brakes.

Every once in a while, when I press on the brake pedal, it will get pressed down more than usual to stop the car. I figured it may be the brake booster or needing to bleed the brakes of air? Looking for a second opinion. It doesn't happen all the time, but does happen.

Any help is appreciated
    Thanks!

Sounds like you air in your system, or brake hose getting ready to say bye bye. Do they feel spongy, or do they just take more force to stop?

If at first you don't suceed, then skydiving is not for you.

I try not to down talk anyone, when I read my old questions I realize I was an idiot too.

Comment

Your master cylinder could be developing an internal leak as well.

Comment

Originally posted by thumping_accord View Post
        Sounds like you air in your system, or brake hose getting ready to say bye bye. Do they feel spongy, or do they just take more force to stop?

It's spongy. Not stiff at all when it sinks. Figured the best case scenario is I just have to bleed the brake lines. Just needa find time to check for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          Your master cylinder could be developing an internal leak as well.
          Didn't think about that. Thank you for the input. I'll put that on the list of possibilities to check over. At least as far as I see, it doesn't seem like an expensive fix if I have to replace parts. Lol.

Comment

I definitely agree with deevergote your master cylinder is failing... don't wait too long
            My Collection:
            93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
            00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
            04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

I have this with the Acura. Randomly happens, doesn't affect the brakes at all as it always happens at a stop sign/red light. Always felt like a vacuum leak. If it was the MC leaking the fluid would drastically drop as "disappears" behind the plunger. But the fluid level never drops, i was told it's a vacuum leak or read it was just the pressures leveling off.

Comment

The master cylinder can be leaking past the piston internally, it stays in the system so the level won't drop. If it was only air in the system, it would likely be spongy all the time. Replace the master cylinder.
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I had this happen on my 91 LX Coupe. Your MC has blown its internal seal. It is very dangerous and I would get a new one ASAP.

They sell them new at Autozone for 50 or a remanufactured one is I think 25-30.

If you can, get a 4th gen. Prelude VTEC 94-96 MC, they're 1" in diameter vs. the 15/16" diameter for the Accord EX, not much but still an upgrade. They bolt up the same and no other modifications are necessary

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                    The master cylinder can be leaking past the piston internally, it stays in the system so the level won't drop. If it was only air in the system, it would likely be spongy all the time. Replace the master cylinder.
                    Current fluid level is from the piston forward. Behind the piston is nothing but air and the push rod, springs, etc. Also bad seals usually result in fluid leaking in by the pedals inside the car. But there is a chance the fluid is making it past the piston cups and not past the rod seal and in this scenario one would see a very slight drop in fluid in the reservoir.

Comment

You guys are all awesome. I may be replacing the MC this weekend if I have the time. Does not seem like it is a hard procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by NaSJohnny View Post
                        You guys are all awesome. I may be replacing the MC this weekend if I have the time. Does not seem like it is a hard procedure.
                        just make sure to bench bleed (fill reservoir and purge air prior to intalling on car) it first before installing and you'll be set.

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

This has happened to just about every Honda I've owned. Just replaced a master on my gf's Accord a couple months ago. Telltale sign is that the brakes seem to work fine but when sitting and holding the pedal (like at a stop light) the pedal slowy sinks and you gradually lose brake pressure until the brakes release. You let off the pedal and hit it again and you have pressure, until it sinks again. Also I've noticed the fluid seems to seep out the piston seal and drip down the booster stripping the paint off in the process. Very very slow leak however unless it gets real bad and at that point I'd suspect you'd have no brakes!

I've always bought new masters, don't take your chances with a crappy reman! The new ones are cheap enough, around $40 shipped on Amazon for a quality made in USA Centric master. I've used that brand almost exclusively on my Hondas and never had an issue.

When you do this you are going to end up bleeding out your whole system, which assuming the rest of your braking system is in good shape (pads calipers and rotors), it's going to feel like a new car in terms of brake feel. I usually bleed bleed bleed at each corner until I have a steady stream of clean fluid. It's worth the whole bottle to do this, and it should be part of your maintenance schedule.
                          Last edited by Accrdwgnguy; 10-14-2016, 09:23 AM.
                          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Centric makes good stuff, for sure.

If you're interested in an additional upgrade, pick up some braided stainless steel brake lines. They'll be about $100 today (front and rear.) Techna-Fit makes a decent, affordable product. StopTech does as well (StopTech is a Centric brand... they make very good performance brake rotors... another thing you may want to upgrade while you're there!) You'll be bleeding the system anyway, so there's no better time to get it done!

Comment

Working...
                            X