New LED bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New LED bulbs

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later but both headlamps on our 00 Accord finally cracked due to some local freeway construction nearby. So naturally I just bought a new set of OEM Honda headlights to replace them.

Just previous to that I ordered an set of OEM fog lights because they cracked too. BTW it's interesting that the headlights are poly-carbonate but the fogs are glass... go figure.

As insurance I just ordered Lamin-X protective film for all the lights which claim to be thicker than the clear protective film I just installed on the front end of the car. I hope these workout.

All this leads me to a company I've purchased LEDs from in the past called VLEDs who sent me a promo deal for a new LED style bulb. They're so new they are on back-order till end of June. But this week they are running a 20% discount so I pulled the plug to see how good they are. I can always return them within 30 days if it doesn't work out.

My thinking is the headlight bulb size in the 00 Accord are the same (9006) as the 93SE so I might just experiment and try them out in the older car first. Since they are rated at 4200 max lumens each compared with standard halogens at about 1000 lumens so it should be interesting to compare, I'll let you know.

If anyone is curious these are the "Micro Series LED Headlight System" bulbs I just ordered.

They have a more powerful "LMZ Series"version for $50 more but I personally think it's overkill at 6000 max lumens...
    Last edited by hiptech; 05-22-2017, 07:29 PM.
    My Collection:
    93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
    00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
    04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

I'm more interested in the cutoff that these will have in reflector housings. Make sure you post wall comparison shots!

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

If you are really into LED's, Diode Dynamics has some really high quality stuff. They are on the pricey side tho, but should last you for years.
      https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
      My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
      Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
        I'm more interested in the cutoff that these will have in reflector housings. Make sure you post wall comparison shots!
        That is one of the parameters that interest me too...
        My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by hiptech View Post
          That is one of the parameters that interest me too...
          me too. I'm thinking like the idiot jeep users there is no cutoff (as usually the cutoff comes from the housing). Are these legal? ie - does the package say "for offroad use only"?

Comment

If they work anything like HIDs do in the stock halogen housings, it won't be a good idea. With HIDs, the stock halogen housings throw light everywhere, often blinding oncoming drivers... something I hate more and more the older I get! If these do the same, they'll need a projector retrofit to work correctly in any housing designed for halogen bulbs.

Comment

So I emailed the company this question:
              "Guess there's no way to know at this point since these are new but I'm curious if these bulbs will have a cutoff in stock OEM housings for these cars?

And here is their reply:
              "Thank you for your email.

Once the LED bulb is installed you will want to make sure the LEDS are pointed in a Left to Right (9:00-3:00) position.

You can do this by simply pushing on the LED bulb and twisting to re-index.
              This will give you the best light output with the best cutoff line. The cut off line will also be determined by the quality of the open reflector housing or projector housing that vehicle comes with.

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns we can assist with."

Thank you,
              Customer Support
              www.vleds.com
              Mon-Fri 9am-5pm PST

I think the outcome with these will be as we assume which is YMMV. Obviously each cars reflector design is different so there is that and if the beam pattern is too scattered and without a cutoff well I guess back they go...

As far as legality I did ask and was told it's a gray area. If you install anything but halogen bulbs in an OEM headlight they are no longer considered DOT approved. But as many here know anyone who mods their side markers, removes the side reflectors and or changes anything from stock is in violation of DOT approval. They said up in Washington they've been running replacement LEDs headlights since '08 without issue. In fact with the exception of California and Virginia no customer has yet run into any difficulties. The reason for the problems in CA & VA is primarily due to strict law enforcement regarding the 6K blue tinted lights resembling emergency vehicles. So apparently each state will look at these differently in terms of enforcement.

So it sounds like the window film issue in AZ if you have limo tint on your rear sides and rear glass you're OK. But legally you're in violation if you install them on the front sides. Yet I've seen countless cars here with them on all the glass and unless you are doing something to provoke a cop I think they tend to overlook it. I recently learned that some window tinters will install clear film across your windshield if you request it. When I asked why they said it doesn't help with glare but it does work well in reducing ultra-violet. And even though it's invisible to the naked eye, technically it's illegal...

In the end I plan to use common sense. If these are wildly too bright and putting out an uncontrollable amount of glare sure I'll return them. That's why I'm only trying out one set first to evaluate.
              Last edited by hiptech; 05-24-2017, 02:41 PM.
              My Collection:

Comment

Ya, i call BS on that reply. There will be no cutoff at all. But you will have to point them in the right direction.

In our housings it's just a ... "umbrella"? thing that sits in front of the bulb and has an opening. Like the pic the light is allowed through. But in no way is there any form of cutoff in the housing or on the bulb. Like OEM bulbs this light will scatter everywhere.

Like window tint and license plate covers I imagine this will be allowed. I see jeeps and others doing it already and I'm surprised that theretrofisource.com is not all over this. I mean, they have them ($120 for 9006S) here, but they are not pushing proper cutoff housings with them. Which i really frown upon. Nothing grinds my gears more than annoying extra bright headlights (or people who drive with their highs on).

And other forums talk about this too, like here . He has comparison pics but it's a 4-runner. I think you'll get the same output though.

In the end people will hate ya and on the last day of the month when a cop needs one more ticket, you will cross his lucky path Until then, he may leave you alone.

Comment

Those style LEDs have a 120 degree "cone" of light that comes from each individual emitter. Halogen has 360 and xenon has maybe 320 because of the wire that's in the way. As long as the LED is depth is spaced correctly, the cutoff may be ok. He could probably get away with removing the front shield because the LEDs don't throw light straight ahead.

Edit: It may be 180 degree emitted light, but intensity decreases off axis.
                  Last edited by sonikaccord; 05-24-2017, 05:53 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Yeah. Definitely post up some before and after pics OP.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                      Yeah. Definitely post up some before and after pics OP.
                      This is for Raf and several others who PM'd me...

BTW the fog lights didn't happen since they sent the wrong bulbs but I left the pics in for info purposes. They're coming out with a new H3 bulb soon so I put those up when I get them.

Last edited by hiptech; 01-07-2018, 10:14 AM.
                      My Collection:

Comment

Holy shit! That’s nice! More wiring, more electrical stuff, I love it.
                        5 studded & leather clad - Praise The Lowered

~Mark~

Comment

Not digging it. It just looks like you took the normal OEM bulb, put it on steroids and changed the color to annoy the fuck out of people. This level of glare and brightness (or bulb type) should be reserved for proper cutoff.

Comment

That is a HUGE hotspot! The distance lighting looks like it's very good. There are stray "streaks" coming from the housing, but that is to be expected...actually the OEM bulb has them too, but because of the increased intensity of the LED (and probably different focal point location), they are more pronounced. I love the pure white color. 4300-5k is the best, IMO. If you can get rid of that "line" above the hotspot, it would be perfect for a reflector housing.

The tailights may be too bright. The car behind you should see a big difference between the parking lights and the brakes applied brightness. If the lights are already intense, then the eye can't really detect an even greater increase in brightness. I had LED tails, and that was the only thing that I did not like.

Edit: you may also need to re-aim them. The slope of the cutoff moved up a bit when compared to the OEM bulb.
                            Last edited by sonikaccord; 01-07-2018, 09:59 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Ya, not sure why people are jumping on the LED phase. Everyone wants them for every possible light you can imagine. But I ... don't get it. Example: Street lights. I think the old fashion ones light up a larger area (less focused) and are softer on the eyes yet still do the job! Same idea with cars... focused lights is great but not always. I live on a road with a lot of "rollercoaster bumps" (it's a good 20min drive down this road), and coming over the hills you get hit with light below the cutoff over & over & over & over......

I'm loving all the other lights though. I always liked LED license plate lights, you should do inside trunk LED lights, to match the rest.

Comment

Working...
                              X