Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

stock (wagon) front speakers terminal polarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stock (wagon) front speakers terminal polarity

Hey all, I picked up a set of stock front speakers from a junkyard last weekend and was hoping someone could tell me which terminal is + and which is -

They use a plastic connector stock, but the P.O. stripped the interior and removed a lot of stuff, the speaker connectors being one of the things that got removed. I have the wiring diagram so I know which wire is which, but the speakers aren't marked for polarity. Anyone got this info?

If the terminals are different sizes positive is usually larger. A lot of companies color code the wire silver for + and copper for -.

If all else fails hook up some pigtails to the speaker and touch them BRIEFLY to a AA battery, if the cone moves out then the wire on positive side of the battery is the positive terminal. If you connect the wires to the battery too long it could harm the voice-coil.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostwhite View Post
      If the terminals are different sizes positive is usually larger. A lot of companies color code the wire silver for + and copper for -.

If all else fails hook up some pigtails to the speaker and touch them BRIEFLY to a AA battery, if the cone moves out then the wire on positive side of the battery is the positive terminal. If you connect the wires to the battery too long it could harm the voice-coil.
      Good info, thanks. Unfortunately, being that the stock speakers use plastic quick-connects the terminals look exactly the same. I'll try the battery method though. and once I figure it out I'll post a pic with them labeled for future use

Comment

Looking at the plastic socket on the speaker, with the tab at the top (that fits a slot in the harness connector), the positive terminal is on the left. Verified with OEM manual and OEM harness and speakers in my car.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          Looking at the plastic socket on the speaker, with the tab at the top (that fits a slot in the harness connector), the positive terminal is on the left. Verified with OEM manual and OEM harness and speakers in my car.
          Nice, thanks! I ended up just plugging the wires in to test it out and they work either way, with no noticeable difference in sound... so i just left them on the backburner while I was working on other stuff, but now I'll be able to be sure to plug them in right. Unfortunately while I was working on other stuff one of the speakers got crushed and the paper cone is a bit damaged. i'll probably still use them in the short term until I can get a pair of aftermarkets to replace them.

Right now I'm more focused on finishing up the custom build in the cargo area for the two 10" and two 4-way 6x9's... pics later this week after I've got it all finished up

Comment

Originally posted by FeintMind View Post
            pics later this week after I've got it all finished up
            alright how she started

along the way

end result

ignore the lack of trim, I'm still working on trimming the LX headliner i picked up from the JY to work with the sunroof, trim will go in after i get the headliner trimmed and rewrap it

Comment

Looks like a lot of work! I've never been a fan of doing interior work, can be a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostwhite View Post
                Looks like a lot of work! I've never been a fan of doing interior work, can be a pain.
                It's a lot of work, sure, but I find it to be extremely enjoyable.

Truthfully I can't believe how great this system sounds considering it cost right around $300 altogether. (Although, the two 10" subwoofers I had already had just laying around, but they were originally $50 a piece so i guess call it $400.)

Comment

Working...
                X