cars dies after.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cars dies after.......

hey u guys im having a problem my car has been sitting for 4 months in my drive way nd i found out that my alternantor is now dead nd my battery was too so i took my battery to charge nd i got 7volts in it nd i got another alternator from the junkyard ...so i jump start my car nd it starts fine but once i remove the jumper wiresn it dies out..does anyone know what might be the problem??

Originally posted by rubennebur View Post
    hey u guys im having a problem my car has been sitting for 4 months in my drive way nd i found out that my alternantor is now dead nd my battery was too so i took my battery to charge nd i got 7volts in it nd i got another alternator from the junkyard ...so i jump start my car nd it starts fine but once i remove the jumper wiresn it dies out..does anyone know what might be the problem??
    Does it die instantly when you take the cables off? And for the battery, don't think it's enough to run the engine with 7volts. Cause the alternator should give about 14v from the battery when engine on. I suggest that you get yourself a decent 12v battery and try it again.

Comment

battery is drawing too much power from the alternator because it is too low. if the battery was at 7 volts for a long time, its toast. dont waste your time trying to charge it (internal short = battery will drain itself now) try this:

-connect up the cables
      -get someone to rev the engine to at least 2000 rpm, keep it revved
      -remove the cables, keep the engine revved

if it dies, alternator is bad
      if it doesnt die, alternator is good

either way, battery is bad

My Cars: 2006 Ford Freestyle - 1990 Accord EX - 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe - 1967 Impala "Metallicar" (for the wife)

Comment

alright ill try that thanks

Comment

If you charge the battery and the most voltage it'll hold is 7 volts, you need a new battery. Also, check to make sure theres enough water in the battery.

Comment

Working...
          X