Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

93 Accord race car Build/Questions thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aventari View Post
    Hey all, so it's time to update the thread, I'm racing in June!
    Chumpcar, Auto Club Speedway June 4-5
    http://chumpcar.com/

Since the last race, I've mostly just been fixing the smashed up parts and the bent frame from the crash
    Here's the view from the car my bro hit
    https://www.facebook.com/faustest/vi...5662094195459/

So since then, I got the frame straightened ($370), got the car aligned again, gutted the new hood, and put all the new body parts back together.

This last weekend my friend and I
    Installed and automatic fire suppression syste-- the 2.25 liter system here (http://www.racingfiresystems.com/Rac...d_Systems.html)
    Fabricated a center console panel for fire system handle
    Welded front motor mount solid as the urethane inserts I made had disitegrated.
    Replaced cracked IAB vacuum line
    Bled brakes and clutch with Motul RBF600
    Welded front upper ball joints to Ebay adjustable arms, as the tiny bolts that hold the joints are quite flimsy
    And added killswitch cable pull to center console

I didn't take enough pics but here's the fire system. Two nozzles, one pointed at the engine and one pointed at the drivers dick

I got this underdrive pulley for $38 on Ebay, it came dented in the mail so I filed the dented part back away from the belt. I'm taking it to the machine shop to have it balanced tomorrow.

Welding motor mount solid:

This plate is overkill, I should've just made both sides like the first strip of metal

I'm going to be working on the car non stop until June and I'll try to keep this thread updated.

I didn't make it, how was your race??
    This is very awesome, can't wait for more updates and to see how yall fare in the races.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

Lots of progress last week.

First of all, my 4th team mate dropped out as he had prior engagements (this is something to plan for in Lemons..), but luckily I found a coworker who has previous Lemons experience who was willing to fill his place. (Thanks Otto!)
      (Fuck you Mark! :P)

So we still have a solid core team of 4 racers.

This last week my team and I (mostly I):
      Welded Ebay adjustable upper control arms
      Installed F22A6 cam and adjusted lash
      Replaced alternator with junkyard spare
      Installed ebay underdrive pulley
      Pulled the lower timing cover from my parts car and installed it
      Got new seat belts, the old were 5 years old and expired , got some RCI cam lock belts.
      Bled brakes and clutch with with Motul RBF600
      Flush p/s fluid with Honda PS fluid
      Replaced coolant in cooling system with water and water wetter
      Added killswitch cable pull to center console
      Installed battery box to cover battery.
      Girlfriend vacuumed all the dirt and tire chunks from the interior (thanks bae!)
      Added SPDT relay and resistor to kill switch wiring to protect alternator from current surge on shutdown.

So in the last race, twice when my teammates went off track, they kicked up so much dirt in that it got up in the engine bay and packed between the timing belt and crank pulley and slipped the timing enough to kill the engine. We had to get towed back in to pits, but luckily it wasn't slipped enough for the valves to hit the pistons so it didn't kill the engine. Both times I had to release the timing belt tensioner and reset the timing.

So on my other street cars and race cars I've always removed the timing belt covers because they get in the way. This time it seems like they have a purpose

So I pulled a timing belt cover from my $600 93 Accord SE auto and installed it on the race car to prevent this from happening again

I also finished mounting the automatic fire system nozzles.
      One pointed at the engine and one at the driver's nutsack

There it is on the upper left on the steering column

New belts

and a battery box as per the rules that a battery in the driver's compartment must be enclosed even if it's a seal unit

So the only problem with the $40 Ebay underdrive pulley is as you can see it doesn't have the internal hex drive for the crank removal tool.

To even fit it on the crank snout I have to use a dremel to open up the keyway. Then because I couldn't hold the crank with the tool, I cranked it down with my heavy duty impact a few times, and then removed it a couple times (holding the engine still with it in gear and holding the brakes on), and I think it's about as tight as the stock one.
      I also took it to the machine shop and had it balanced to make sure I'm not going to kill the crank bearings with it.

I bought some smaller belts to fit (the stock ones are too long now) and when I figure the size out I'll post them here for posterity.
      Last edited by aventari; 05-10-2016, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Finally created and posted some video too

Here's my brother's crash that completely fucked up the front end at the end of day 1:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AproBldU_6Q

The first black flag of the day:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiyS8CSdT14

My black flag and me being strapped to the roof
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnNXP6ySw0s

My dad's off-track excursion
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N6RY11nOcA

Comment

Finally created and posted some video too

Here's my brother's crash that completely fucked up the front end at the end of day 1:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AproBldU_6Q

The first black flag of the day:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiyS8CSdT14

My black flag and me being strapped to the roof
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnNXP6ySw0s

My dad's off-track excursion
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N6RY11nOcA
          Is the car still trackable or is done for?

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
            Is the car still trackable or is done for?
            Seriously? If you read any of the last several posts you'll learn that he's straightened the frame and done lots of upgrades with the goal of entering an upcomming Chumpcar race.

Aventari,
            I'm jealous of your fire suppression system. Maybe I can get all of my team's wives to chip in for one for us.
            ==========================
            1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
            1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
            Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
            Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
            M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
            Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

Haha I just hope it was a waste of money.

..as in I never want to have to use it!

Comment

Lots more work done the last 2 weekends.. the list:

Installed F22A6 cam, adjusted valves
                flushed p/s fluid with Honda fluid
                Oil change Liqui Moly 2024 Synthoil Race Tech GT1 10W-60
                Put water in cooling system + red line water wetter
                Installed spare alternator
                Installed underdrive pulley
                Installed lower splash sheild from parts car
                Installed alternator power surge relay 2 ohm.
                New belt for P/S
                New belt for alternator
                Water temp gauge is acting up, ordered new one
                Checked IAB, not working, need to check wiring
                Installed exhaust hangers instead of wire we had
                Fabbed copper exhaust header gasket from 18 gauge copper sheet

So I haven't really noticed much witht he A6 cam over the A1 cam but I haven't had a change to beat on it yet.

I took some pics of the header gasket so I'll post em

The gasket I had in there was just some paper/metal gasket I made when I first put the header in, but the flanges must be somewhat warped as it blew out on the edge as you can see here and was leaking fairly bad

So I got some 18 gauge 6 inch x 6 inch copper sheet from amazon for $10, and I traced out the old gasket on it

Here you can see the thickness

Then I cut it out with some sheers, starting the middle holes with a drill

Lastly, I annealed the copper with a torch to soften it up and help it seal better. Unfortuneatly I don't have any pics, but what you do is hit the copper with a torch up to ~1000 degrees untill it glows cherry red and then quench it in water or air cool (doesn't matter) and when it's back to room temp it's quite soft.

Under drive pulley pic

And the car with crap wheels (race wheels and tires are stored in the shed so they dont heat cycle in the weather.

Last edited by aventari; 05-18-2016, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Looks like a blast

Comment

So when I installed the cam, I had the belt off a tooth and the car was running like crap. I also had the valves way too loose. Last weekend we diagnosed and fixed that and the car is running awesome!

Today we did some some more work

We made an adjustable seat back brace to comply with the rules

We made a complete crossbar for the roll cage main hoop

We added the $86 ChumpCar official number plates.

We also covered instruments with black felt for sun glare.

Tomorrow we will
                    -Install new water temp gauge
                    -Sand hood and fender for paint
                    -Install chicken wire in grill to protect radiator and shit (bring this benino)
                    -Maybe make some kind of brake ducting out of sheet metal and dryer hose
                    -Check that my fuel jugs are still working, I think the expoy on one broke
                    -Install radio antenna
                    -Attach rollbar padding to new bar

And we're ready to race!~

Comment

Looks like you made great progress, We are entered for the July race

Comment

Oh cool, which July race?

Yesterday I got everything loaded up and did final prep of the car. I took a timelapse video of the garage while doing it for fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHwDli-RUl0

Headed up to the track today! Wish us luck

Comment

Great race this weekend, we took 5th place today, and got *top time of day* out of all 28 cars! We ran a 1:28.282 and got a trophy

There was a bad crash behind us I just made a vid of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZJr-Se9fOs

Wereally need a transmission with shorts gearing.. What's a common one I should look for?

Comment

M2Y4 from the 97-01 prelude is probably the most common. I have an M2F4 I can sell you, I think the 1-2 slider is a little boogered, I JUST put in a synchrotech carbon 2nd synchro and all need synchro springs, but it still pops out of second. PM if you're interested, I'll be in California for CAM on the 25TH.

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Comment

how does it pop out? like just hit the throttle in 2nd and it will go into neutral?

Comment

Great race this weekend, we took 5th place today, and got *top time of day* out of all 28 cars! We ran a 1:28.282 and got a trophy

There was a bad crash behind us I just made a vid of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZJr-Se9fOs

We really need a transmission with shorts gearing.. What's a common one I should look for?
                                We've just finished installing our m2a4. We'll tell you how it goes after thunderhill in late july.

You can buy low final drive ratio gears that require opening the transmission but not fiddling with the main and lay shafts. They are WAY more than LeMons money, but who'll know?
                                ==========================
                                1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
                                1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
                                Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
                                Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
                                M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
                                Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

Working...
                                X