The solution for illegal racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The solution for illegal racing

hey guys take a look at this video, this is what they come up with to end illegal street racing. Those idiots out there are messing everything up for everyone else crashing left and right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJKzdBbcvB4

Racing on the street is stupid because it puts other commuters and pedestrians at risk.

This seems like autocrossing; where the skill of the driver, agility of the car and overall performance wins. This type of racing is relatively safe, because the nature of the racing path itself limits speeds. Its a hell of a lot cooler than racing on the street where stupid mistakes can have big consequences...

...IMO

...for example:

Autocross Video 1

Autocross Video 2

Autocross Video 3
    DEVOTE

Comment

first that is not why auto accidents are the #1 killer of teens...it's innexperience

second...this is doing donughts...it's not street racing.

third...street racing is a problem...the main problem...idiots are racing. They are too stupid to know to NOT race at 10pm-12am...when a lot of folks are out...or too stupid to know to not race on a road that has traffic on it...and they are too stupid to know when to back off the throttle...they are just stupid.

If we had actual stats on number of street races that end in wrecks vs those that don't I think you'd be surprised. Most of the wrecks are a result of stupid drivers...plain and simple

is it a problem...sure...is it sad...hell yes.

I've been wanting to build a 1/4 mile track outside the city limits...and a drift practice track...even a road course...similar to street driving.

Even that would solve the problem...might help. Most folks around my parts go and cruise the city...and on the highway they'll see who can pull the most..but they shut it down quick. A lot of these idiots just keep on going and going...the longer you go the more likely you'll wreck...that is stupid.
      ____

Comment

I want to find an abandoned air strip, paint huge yellow and red zones at either end of a big, long runway for braking distance warning zones and charge people for a set amount of time to drive however they want. I swear, if someone reads this and does it before me, I will personally thank them and then kill them for stealing my absolutely brilliant idea
        To-Do List for Today
        Be Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by lokuputha
          Racing on the street is stupid because it puts other commuters and pedestrians at risk.
          There are fast drivers, and there are stupid drivers. Just because someone drives fast and occasionally race on the streets, does not mean that they are bad and/or stupid drivers. Believe it or not, there are many of us that know how to drive fast AND safe at the same time. People seem to think that those two words can never go together.

You want to talk about stupid? Talk to those people that run over stop signs and red lights on a frequent basis. Sure, they might not be going above the speed limit when doing so, but that's still a lot more dangerous than going above the speed limit on a 3 or 4-lane highway. What about those 16-year old punks driving their parents G35 or Vette swerving around traffic on city streets. They're not streetracing, they're not racing against anyone, so technically they're not 'streetracers'..Doesn't mean that they are not driving like f*ckin morons.

I personally think that drivers in North America have been so spoiled with all the 'traffic rules'. Green light means you're good to go without looking around. 4-way stop means that everyone will stop at the stop sign like they're supposed to. Double solid yellow line means that NO ONE is ever going to cross it Same goes with pedestrians. Just because the walking man green light is on, doesn't mean that everyone's going to wait for you until you cross the street completely.

By now, I think we all know how many stupid drivers are on the road. Stop driving by simply following the rules and be aware of other cars and people around you, including the stupid drivers and the 'streetracers'. You don't have to be racing to put other commuters and pedestrians at risk, just simply driving without being aware of your surroundings will do the job as well. It'd be nice if everyone would drive by the rules, but the cold hard truth is that many people wouldn't.

It still bugs me how people stereotype 'streetracers'. There are streetracers who knows what they're doing. And then there are those drivers who only know how to step on the gas pedal as hard as you can and nothing else. Doesn't mean all streetracers are bad and stupid. Just because one bad person kills someone with a gun, does not mean that all gun owners are bad people who just go out to shoot and kill a bunch of people. People really need to re-think the definition of "dangerous driving".

But of course, if the government would open up more tracks locally, even the 'streetracers' would get off the streets and take it to the track At least the ones that I know anyways. We race on the streets because we don't have any other place to speed. But keep in mind, we do love our cars and have a limit as to how far is too far. At least the ones that know what they're doing anyways.

Originally posted by wafflefries
          I want to find an abandoned air strip, paint huge yellow and red zones at either end of a big, long runway for braking distance warning zones and charge people for a set amount of time to drive however they want. I swear, if someone reads this and does it before me, I will personally thank them and then kill them for stealing my absolutely brilliant idea
          Actually! We beat you to it haha back in my country, we have this HUGE abandoned runway that turned into a main street during the day. It goes 3 lanes each way, with dividers, cones, etc right in the middle to separate the 2-way traffic direction, and the length is enough for my CD6 to redline 5th gear and every night (weekends especially), everyone would go there to race. Cars, bikes, taxis, scooters, anything goes. It pretty much turns into a public circuit at night for everyone Drag, slalom, 0-1000m, 0-200km/h, whatever you want! We also have a main highway that sits above the city and just goes around and around and around. Seen a couple Evos tuning their cars on that highway, just tune, gun it, slow done, tune some more, gun it, for a good 2-3hours every night haha god I miss driving there People don't actually die from 'streetracing', or from driving and being on the roads for that matter.

Ronald
          Last edited by Ronald_Type-R; 02-13-2008, 05:41 AM.

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

Man, fuck you guys then.

To-Do List for Today
            Be Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald_Type-R
              There are fast drivers, and there are stupid drivers. Just because someone drives fast and occasionally race on the streets, does not mean that they are bad and/or stupid drivers. Believe it or not, there are many of us that know how to drive fast AND safe at the same time. People seem to think that those two words can never go together.

You want to talk about stupid? Talk to those people that run over stop signs and red lights on a frequent basis. Sure, they might not be going above the speed limit when doing so, but that's still a lot more dangerous than going above the speed limit on a 3 or 4-lane highway. What about those 16-year old punks driving their parents G35 or Vette swerving around traffic on city streets. They're not streetracing, they're not racing against anyone, so technically they're not 'streetracers'..Doesn't mean that they are not driving like f*ckin morons.

I personally think that drivers in North America have been so spoiled with all the 'traffic rules'. Green light means you're good to go without looking around. 4-way stop means that everyone will stop at the stop sign like they're supposed to. Double solid yellow line means that NO ONE is ever going to cross it Same goes with pedestrians. Just because the walking man green light is on, doesn't mean that everyone's going to wait for you until you cross the street completely.

By now, I think we all know how many stupid drivers are on the road. Stop driving by simply following the rules and be aware of other cars and people around you, including the stupid drivers and the 'streetracers'. You don't have to be racing to put other commuters and pedestrians at risk, just simply driving without being aware of your surroundings will do the job as well. It'd be nice if everyone would drive by the rules, but the cold hard truth is that many people wouldn't.

It still bugs me how people stereotype 'streetracers'. There are streetracers who knows what they're doing. And then there are those drivers who only know how to step on the gas pedal as hard as you can and nothing else. Doesn't mean all streetracers are bad and stupid. Just because one bad person kills someone with a gun, does not mean that all gun owners are bad people who just go out to shoot and kill a bunch of people. People really need to re-think the definition of "dangerous driving".

But of course, if the government would open up more tracks locally, even the 'streetracers' would get off the streets and take it to the track At least the ones that I know anyways. We race on the streets because we don't have any other place to speed. But keep in mind, we do love our cars and have a limit as to how far is too far. At least the ones that know what they're doing anyways.
              I completely get what you're saying, and there's no doubt in my mind that there are many people who race off of the track that know how to drive responsibly and can handle themselves behind the wheel of a car at any speed. Nonetheless, I think it's pretty hard to argue against the idea that racing on public roads is not in the best interest of whatever city, munipality, state, province, country, etc. we live in. Even experienced drivers make mistakes, and if that error in judgment cost someone their life than in my opinion it was hardly worth it for a few hours of entertainment (especially if the person was an "innocent" bystander or someone not involved directly with racing on public roads). But hey, don't get me wrong when I was younger I raced a few times on the streets here and there. Looking back on it now I would say that my behavior then was irresponsible, but then not all street racers cross double solid lines to overtake the other racer, or drive 100+ over the posted limit during times of the day when traffic is congested and people are out and about. Not that this is what I did, but I remember doing a few stupid things when I was maybe 16.

I have a question for everyone reading this thread who's willing to post though. Despite what we all might think about posted speed limits in our cities, and whether or not we agree that they are not to our liking (I know for a fact in my area there are many posted speed limits well under what they should be) is excessive speeding on the public streets for racing purposes or not (and I think we can all agree that for the most part racing involves excessive speed unless you're on a highway or something where the posted limit is fairly high as it is) a privilege which we choose to take advantage of, or a right? For me personally it's an easy question to answer.

In my opinion the choice to the race on the streets, no matter how safe or formally sanctioned it is, and whether or not there are the presense of "innocent" bystanders around is still behaviour not conducive to responsible driving. Clearly I'm taking more of a law enforcement stance on this, and I'm definitely not trying to start any flame wars with people who race on the streets because I did it myself too, I just don't see how it could be logically argued that street racing is at all acceptable in North America where our laws are as such and there's good reason why 95% of them (even the traffic/Motor Vehicle Act laws, which at times seem absurd) are in place.

V-TAK FTW!!1!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald_Type-R
                Believe it or not, there are many of us that know how to drive fast AND safe at the same time. People seem to think that those two words can never go together.

Ronald

agreed..
                anyone who disagree, i tell you to look up the # of crashes they have on the autobahn and then get back to me... the last i seen on the history chanel this road has fewer accidents than any other place in the world, for 1 reason.. when you driving at high speeds your more alert.
                "Self Renewed"

Comment

well.. i think that video has nothing to do with a solution to "street racing" .. because basically street racing is racing down the streets to see if you are faster going down the road... and not going around obstacles and shit.

the solution to street racing would be that every town that has a concern with this should have a two or 4 lane road available every night for ppl to race down. No fee or nothing like that should be required. Only thing to be required is that you have a valid drivers license and the car be street legal. and also that spectators should be far enough away from the road that "just in case" something happens during the race.

Here where I live several of us have tried this before and have had over 3000 ppl sign a petition for this kind of proposal and the Mayors of the surrounding towns have all denied it. So how ironic is that the "street racers" come up with a solution and the government denies it ????????????

The same thing has happened all over where ppl are trying to give solutions that are not expensive and are pretty reasonable but the government refuses to help out.

Another thought is... that if we are trying to come up with solutions but the general public and government is not willing to cooperate with us then why should we have to sacrifice so much ??

i don't know if i put that right but hopefully somebody sees my point.

Originally posted by Devergote
                  A CB7 with an H22, a clean paintjob, HIDs with a projector retrofit, some nice wheels, and a mild drop on H&R Sport springs and Koni Yellow shocks... that's the perfect car. I'd be happy with that for the rest of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by tn_accords
                    well.. i think that video has nothing to do with a solution to "street racing" .. because basically street racing is racing down the streets to see if you are faster going down the road... and not going around obstacles and shit.

the solution to street racing would be that every town that has a concern with this should have a two or 4 lane road available every night for ppl to race down. No fee or nothing like that should be required. Only thing to be required is that you have a valid drivers license and the car be street legal. and also that spectators should be far enough away from the road that "just in case" something happens during the race.

Here where I live several of us have tried this before and have had over 3000 ppl sign a petition for this kind of proposal and the Mayors of the surrounding towns have all denied it. So how ironic is that the "street racers" come up with a solution and the government denies it ????????????

The same thing has happened all over where ppl are trying to give solutions that are not expensive and are pretty reasonable but the government refuses to help out.

Another thought is... that if we are trying to come up with solutions but the general public and government is not willing to cooperate with us then why should we have to sacrifice so much ??

i don't know if i put that right but hopefully somebody sees my point.
                    i completely see your point man. along with KeelesKustome and Ronald_TypeR's points.

1: you want to stop street racing, buoild more tracks. what you run at the track you get a time slip. there aint any errors in those. lol.

2: like tn_accors said, what kind of stupid government denies something that street racers propse thats benificial to all? idiots. you got a group of over a thousand tuners and street racers who come up with an idea that will stop street racing in your area but you deny it. but yet your willing to put forth millions of dollars in new technology, faster police cars, and radars and crap to stop them. thats far from ironic. thats utter stupidity.

as far as the good and smart drivers. yeah. they're out there. i know im one of them. if i know i cant do something(switch lanes between two cars close together or try to speed up and get in front of a car to get off an exit) i aint gonna do it. like a guy's sig up here says "common scence aint so common anymore."

Comment

exzactly,, their aren't any tracks that aren't 2hrs from where i live so controlled street racing is what has to be done here.. then again i live in the middle of knowwhere... where all you have to worry about is cows and deer.
                      "Self Renewed"

Comment

i'm a fast driver, not a stupid driver. i have not raced my car in years but i speed basically day. street racing can be fun for some but it is still stupid and illegal no matter how u look at it.
                        1993 Accord LX - Sold
                        93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                        92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                        2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                        2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                        2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                        2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                        2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

All racing events around my place are withing 45min-1hour. When I lived in waco we had a track 30min away. Street racing is retarded. I have done it yes its a rush but its retarded. You race on the street you realize two things :

1. Your doing something illegal.
                          2. You ARE endangering other peoples lives (it doesnt matter if its on an industrial road where no one is)

You might live in the middle of nowhere but blasting down a street at night doing 100+ with a deer in the middle of the road is not fun. We have mowed deer down with my friends truck and its not pretty afterwards. I would hate to see the damage on a normal car.

Next the complaints of building more tracks. There are reasons for this why you might not have a "track" near you. They could if they wanted to but they dont. And the reasons why you might ask :

1. Noise regulation. (big one: I doubt you want a big block v8 running open headers to go full throttle by your house at midnight)
                          2. Property cost
                          3. The dangers that come after track racing (people that like to keep on going after the track has shut down)

It's easier said than done. The cops on the other hand do CAUSE these problems...No one wants to get caught. Showing there presence and giving a warning might help rather than pulling everyone over. You see a cop pull up to a race you see people scatter and people running around. That is a potential deathtrap for people trying to get away. Another reason why cops can cause these issues. Just showing there presence and telling the people to move on saves more lives than chasing and trying to scare people off. I hate how fast and the furious portrayed street racing as a spectator event. Now there are abnormal amounts of people in the street that shouldnt be there. I preferred the old days where it would be a few people at a time with the occasional dumbasses talking shit. Those were the more "controlled" days IMO. Nowadays its just fail.

Next you have to keep in mind is the gambling. Its illegal in the streets. I forgot what law it was but yea.

IMO a controlled environment > street racing even though you prob get a bigger andrenaline rush out of street racing. You get a REAL timeslip to show that you are faster instead of word of mouth. You have other decently educated people to talk to (doesnt apply all the time). And so on. I like autox racing for me. Its a family environment and its more challenging. Drag racing is bleh but its fun every now and then.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          I piss off people for fun.
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i work in a collision center,,, i know what a car looks like after hitting a deer at 100+ mph....

do you relize that it is stupid to race on a public road.. but on this road you have full controll of your car...

whats retarded is allowing someone else drive you 200+ mph in a plane where you have no controll over anything.

their aren't more sanctioned events because in term that would get more people into driving their cars aggresive thus in term causing more events to be made, till a never ending cycle of endless $ is being spent, also creating a generation of drivers who know how to handle their car so well, that running from the police, wouldn't be a challenge...
                            "Self Renewed"

Comment

Originally posted by KeelesKustome
                              their aren't more sanctioned events because in term that would get more people into driving their cars aggresive thus in term causing more events to be made, till a never ending cycle of endless $ is being spent, also creating a generation of drivers who know how to handle their car so well, that running from the police, wouldn't be a challenge...
                              lol you are joking right? Thats the most retarded thing I have heard honestly out of everything I have heard before. Cuz people can run away from cops....Cops have an equal amount of driver training and more than normal "drivers". People go to driving school to learn automotive control and be more aware. Thats what driving schools teach people for the amount you pay. Its not just for "outrunning police". Thats just a retarded comment I am sorry. No one is going to "handle there car so well" its just NOT going to happen. F1 drivers still strive to improve there skill even though they are 1000x what a normal driver is. I have yet to see someone go to a skip barber driving course or something of that nature and run from a cop. You cant outrun cops nowadays you have to be a ghost...You can outrun a cop but you cant outrun the motorola.

The New-ish Ride
                              My old Ride
                              Hear my Vtak!!!
                              MK3 Member #3
                              I piss off people for fun.
                              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                              X