CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 09-15-2018, 07:41 PM   #1
civintegraccord
Newcomer

civintegraccord is cool... so far.
Engine only starts with distributor all the way advanced

93 Accord, recently swapped a junkyard F22A1, and it ran great be for a while.
One day I went to start it, and it wouldn't start.
Replaced spark plugs, wires, injectors, igniter. Finally got it to start, but only with the distributor turned as far counterclockwise as possible.
This made me think that my timing belt maybe skipped a tooth. Pulled the upper timing cover, and tried to set the #1 piston to TDC, but realized this motor doesn't have a pointer on the lower cover, or any marks on the crank pulley. So I pulled the #1 spark plug, and used the dipstick to eye TDC, and i checked the flywheel mark and the pointer was right on the 15 mark. The cam marks were where they are supposed to be, which leads me to believe that the timing did not jump a tooth. I'm at a loss now, and don't know what to do.
If the flywheel is right on the 15 mark, is that not TDC? How do I set the #1 piston to the proper TDC without the crank pulley marks?
civintegraccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #2
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
There is a window to the flywheel/flexplate (manual/auto) just below where the engine model (F22A1) is stamped on the block. There is supposed to be a white mark at #1 TDC. The red mark is 15 BTDC. If the pointer on the flywheel/flexplate was at the 15 degree mark, and your cam marks were correct for TDC, then the timing has jumped.
92 EX coupe auto 190,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210341
07 Element EX AWD 174,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210623

LOTS of CB7 parts for sale http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583 or watch for banner ad at upper right
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:37 PM   #3
civintegraccord
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetw00d View Post
There is a window to the flywheel/flexplate (manual/auto) just below where the engine model (F22A1) is stamped on the block. There is supposed to be a white mark at #1 TDC. The red mark is 15 BTDC. If the pointer on the flywheel/flexplate was at the 15 degree mark, and your cam marks were correct for TDC, then the timing has jumped.
Thank you! I suspected that might be the case. Tomorrow i will pull the mount and lower cover and move the belt back a tooth. Should i replace the belt? I assume it jumped because the belt is stretched?
Old 09-15-2018, 10:39 PM   #4
GhostAccord
CB7tuner Member

GhostAccord seems to have made some friends! GhostAccord seems to have made some friends!
Yes you will want to do the belt, tensioner and valve adjustment. Also a good time to do the water pump if it hasn't been done.

by Chappy, on Flickr
GhostAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #5
GhostAccord
CB7tuner Member

GhostAccord seems to have made some friends! GhostAccord seems to have made some friends!
Something else to look at would be the balance shaft oil seal retainer. If your engine does not have it, now would also be a good time to add that cheap insurance.

by Chappy, on Flickr
Old 09-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #6
civintegraccord
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostAccord View Post
Something else to look at would be the balance shaft oil seal retainer. If your engine does not have it, now would also be a good time to add that cheap insurance.
I recall reading somewhere that the oil seal retainer only applied to 94+ F22xx. Is that incorrect?
Old 09-16-2018, 10:32 PM   #7
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by civintegraccord View Post
I recall reading somewhere that the oil seal retainer only applied to 94+ F22xx. Is that incorrect?
It was probably standard for 94+. It should be added to 90-93 when the opportunity presents itself. If the seal pops out (I had it happen on one of mine), it will drain the oil in a hurry.

Last edited by fleetw00d; 09-18-2018 at 09:49 PM.
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #8
GhostAccord
CB7tuner Member

You could very well be correct. My 96 F22B2 had one. Just thought I would give you a heads up that there is an issue with the seals and if your engine doesn't have one, there is a retainer available.

i think by the time the TSB came out (2002) the 90-93 Accords were well past warranty and not any of Honda's concerns.

by Chappy, on Flickr
Old 09-17-2018, 07:47 PM   #9
civintegraccord
Newcomer

Alright, so my flywheel has a mark about an inch after the 15° mark, it's not white (at least anymore) but I assume the is the 0° mark. So I put the pointer on that mark, and turned the cam back one notch to line up the cam marks with the top of the head. Now I can't get the engine to start at all, no matter where the distributor is clocked. What am I missing?

EDIT:
It appears that im not getting spark now. Is there a way I can test the external coil?

Last edited by civintegraccord; 09-17-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: