Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Bad Bearing Noise Under/near Air Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Bearing Noise Under/near Air Filter

Hello I have a 1990 HONDA ACCORD newly sound as of 3-4 weeks ago it literally sounds like a bad bearing but it only happens between maybe 1,000-1,200 rpm's and I noticed it gets louder if I press on the air filter box is there anything around that area that would be a bad bearing and would get worse when pressing on the air filter box? I noticed it's been getting a little worse too started doing it at idle just today.

Hi,

The transmission motor mount is directly under the air filter box. Try lifting up on the box to see if the sound stops. If it does then its just something vibrating at that RPM level and would get louder if you pressed on it. Maybe a bracket hose clamp or even the plastic intake pipe that is routed along the fender.. Check all of that and see if you can isolate and stop and start the sound. The air box has mounting bolts on the bottom side under the filter. Take the filter out and see if any of these bolts are loose and vibrating...

Thanks,

Mac

Comment

Hmm is it hard to replace that motor mount? I've also noticed recently that the engine shifts alot when changing from park to reverse or drive along with a loud clicking noise that I've never heard on this car before so I'm assuming its the motor mounts? Where can I get a good set of motor mounts without paying out the ass? LOL And any information on installation would be greatly appreciated

Comment

Depends upon how long you are going to have your car, and whether you are more performance oriented or comfort.

If your going for cheap, it is not uncommon for people to fill their old mounts with polyurethane.

If your going for comfort, OE style rubber mounts should do the trick, which should last several years.

If going for performance, or plan on having the car a long time, it might be best to invest in some ESP (Explicit Speed Performance) mounts, as they will probably outlast your car, plus replacing Motor Mounts can be a major PITA, I'd rather do it once and have it last, then to have to do it again.

Also if one mount is bad, its very well possible the others have been damaged because of it, so inspect your mounts for cracks/fractures in the rubber to make the best determination on the severity.
        PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Is it possible just to refill the motor mount? Because the main problem is bad vibration at idle. If so how do I go about doing so? I am looking to keep the car for years it's my newspaper carrier car LOL :P I am looking to spend maybe 100-300 on mounts less depending on if I can install them myself.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinhughes13 View Post
            Is it possible just to refill the motor mount? Because the main problem is bad vibration at idle. If so how do I go about doing so? I am looking to keep the car for years it's my newspaper carrier car LOL :P I am looking to spend maybe 100-300 on mounts less depending on if I can install them myself.
            As for the filled mounts, you should check out the DIY section on this site, here is one thread as an example: ENG: DIY Solid Polyurethane Engine Mounts- Performance & Repair

There are a bunch of different threads on various parts of motor mounts, whether repair, or installation, to find that thread I clicked on the search bar, in the top left search keywords I typed 'motor mounts', then towards the bottom right, I selected the DIY section, hit search, and found that as the 5th item.

Comment

+1 on the motor mounts, seeing as it is a vehicle you use for your papers, i would assume you would want it to be as reliable as possible. I would recommend the OEM replacement mounts as cloudasc stated above. "performance" oriented motor mounts usually tend to be stiffer and can sometimes cause a rougher feeling idle, due to the added vibration. Since it is a vehicle you would probably be in for at least a couple hours a day I do not think that you would want a rougher idle. The DIY fix will be cheap. But also not last as long as the proper OEM replacement, and i speak with no personal experience but i do believe filling them with polyurethane would also cause unwanted vibration.

Comment

For as bad as his vibration probably is with broken mount(s), any of the 3 options I mentioned will offer a significant improvement, and get rid of the 'bad bearing' sound that brought the issue to the attention of the OP.

Comment

Working...
                X