X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never seen that type of battery before

I know that car handles nice

Comment

It's a supercap bank, much different from a battery in the way that stores charge. If this bank were discharged to like 9V I probably could still crank my car and it will be fully charged in a couple of seconds.

I took the cover off of my VSA/electronically controlled proportioning valve and found this:

I'm excited, they use a Renesas MCU which I downloaded the ~1000 page manual for and an Elesys chip which may be proprietary. It also seems that Honda used wire bond for their connectors to the harness, motor and solenoids...which means I may be able to implement my own control methodology if I can't figure out theirs.

3: I see some test and/or programming headers. I'm going to reference the datasheet and see where those connnectors go...Honda may have just made this easy. Also I post on Ig alot faster than on here under #HackingHonda

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

The Ultracap bank is F'king strong. The starter sounds like a bat out of hell with all that current behind it.

A couple of notes here:
        My cap bank was at about 10.5V and the solenoid would not engage. That means that my voltage would have to stay at or above about 11V.

The cap bank is sitting at 14.52V when I measured it at 17:22h. I will see how much it discharges in an hour. EDIT: At 19:22h we are at 14.08. Roughly 0.25 V drop per hour.

I may grab a solar panel from harbor freight to trickle charge/maintain that 14V charge. I also have a metric anal ton (technical term) of lithium cells that I can plug into my cigarette lighter to maintain a charge indefinitely.

I'm not sure how many start attempts I have using only the cap's capacity. The solar cell , depending on the wattage, should give me quite a few while the sun is out and I can use the lithium pack at night or I can get a jump charge which will take about a minute or so to charge the bank all the way up.
        Last edited by sonikaccord; 05-03-2014, 07:43 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
          I took it to Autozone to have it load tested and the lady was like WTF is this? I said it's the future.
          ha ha ha ha ha ha ... that was awesome nice one man nice one.

Comment

I gotta know what's up with that new sig image of yours. Time for a crazy swap?
            *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
            ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
            ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
            "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
            Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
            The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
            Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Ha nah it's just a pic from my 6-6. I also picked up something really cool. I shall upload pics soon

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Dirt freaking cheap...I had to get it. Even if it's just to clean it up and sell it. It's also CAN controlled which fits right in with the #HackingHonda project.

Solar panels to keep the ultracaps charged. I built a little LM317 based charge controller that should keep these babies topped up at 14.2V. When the car is on, my alt charges them up to 14.7 ish volts. They aren't officially installed. This was just a test run.

Here is some of the CAN messages from the yaw/g sensor. It seems to want to talk to device 12 A0 which I'm assuming is the ID of the VSA module. I can't seem to get any messages from the VSA module which worries me... Also, whenever I strike or tilt the yaw/g sensor, the data changes. Pretty cool.

Prelude seats!! Fairly clean. I'm hoping to get these installed this weekend.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I got one prelude seat partially installed. I used the stock Prelude rails and spacers on both sides to center the seat. Three bolts are in, but of course the last one is way off. I'm going to stop by the scrap yard and see if I can get some 1/4" thick steel angle iron and fab up a bracket. Should be stronger than the rail itself.

Also, I got my VSA to talk to me! Now the next step is to figure out what it is talking to.

It is addressing locations:
                  34 80
                  36 00
                  35 40
                  3A 00

According to the service manual, the VSA electronics sends F-CAN messages to:
                  Gauge Control Module
                  -Indicator drive signal
                  -Buzzer request signal

ECM/PCM
                  -Engine torque control request
                  -Control Mode signal

And receives F-CAN messages from:
                  Gauge control module
                  -VSA off switch signal
                  -Parking brake switch signal
                  -Brake fluid level switch signal
                  -TPMS indicator signal

Yaw/G sensor
                  -Yaw rate signal
                  -Lateral acceleration signal

ECM/PCM
                  -VSA control enable/disable
                  -Throttle open angle signal
                  -Engine Revolution signal
                  -Brake pedal position switch signal
                  -Service check signal
                  -Gear Position signal

TPMS
                  -TPMS indicator signal

hmmmm...Why would the VSA send messages to 4 IDs? I know the gauge control module is the gateway from F-CAN to B-CAN, so maybe one ID is for the GCM and the other is for the intended receiver? Luckily I have an 08 Accord to probe messages from. I have a total of 5 IDs to look for and I may be missing a few more. If I can get my hands on Honda's DLC software/hardware that would be even better.

The service manual tells me what messages the devices are sending in English, so I guess it's my job now to translate that into HEX or Binary

Edit: More notes, added more details.
                  The VSA does it's processing internally via the Renesas MCU and the Elesys ASIC. There is rewritable firmware floating around somewhere in the module which may be accessible through CAN. Honda is able to do firmware updates, so why can't I?

Edit:Edit: Yeah...this was cute and all, but I think I'm going to just rip out the electronics and design my own controller. After looking over some of the inputs, outputs and details in the service manual, they spell out the theory of the operation. So by programming my own, I will have full control over the solenoids, pump, and pressure sensor as well as the math involved. So that's my next step. It should be much faster and easier this way.
                  Last edited by sonikaccord; 05-18-2014, 07:24 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Wow, haven't updated this in a minute. I'm still having suspension noises and clunks that I'm trying to get rid of...I HATE suspension issues.

Got my camber kit for +3.0 degree max camber for the front.
                    Ordered the external bump stops I mentioned in one of the threads in the suspension forum.
                    Got my prelude seats installed along with the prelude shifter and weapon-r shifter adapter

Paid off my Bill Me Later account and immediately got back in the hole

I bought two broken Alpine PDX amps that I'm going to repair and flip.
                    I also have a DC 5.0k that I'm waiting for parts for.
                    I'm liquidating my audio collection so I can do my suspension restomod.

Found some TE37s 17x9 for relatively cheap because they are bent, may pick those up and run some subtle flares for the width.

Someone is selling a CD5 for $500. I may scoop that up as well.

As far as my VSA project:
                    I gutted the circuit board and Honda was gracious enough to leave me connections directly to the solenoids!! Algorithm time!
                    Last edited by sonikaccord; 06-23-2014, 03:39 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Woah, and I thought I was busy!!!

I have to ask, did you install the ESP motor mounts one at a time? I want to do all the mounts one at a time without lifting the motor if that is possible.
                      *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                      ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                      ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                      "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                      Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                      The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                      Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Yes, I did them one at a time. It was fairly straightforward. Transmission is the easiest, followed by the engine mount (some grinding of the bracket is needed) then the rear. That's the fun one.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

all i can say is DAMN at some of the work you are doing, i find it very impressive. it seems we have a lot of similar tastes and interests, and seems you sure know what youre doing! if you don't mind me asking, what do you do for work and what area of the country do you live in?
                          Last edited by cp[mike]; 06-23-2014, 05:18 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Thank you sir!

I live in Atlanta area and currently I'm working as a pro-audio repair technician. This is only temporary as I've figured out that I love cars and high power electrical systems so I want to get back into academia and get my M.S. and Ph.D in either electrical engineering, physics or materials science...or a combination of both. And with that, I want to aid in the development of EVs and PHEVs. Those are inevitably the future and I want to be a part of that. And it's a combination of both of my passions. Win-win in my case.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Awesome work. Very impressive!
                              My Members Ride Thread

Comment

I should have my Progress rear sway coming in on Monday. I have a few more bars, some lighter wheels, and misc things to do before I can say my suspension/braking/handling mods are done.

Meanwhile, this is what I've been up to:
                                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=3205981

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                                X