Egr port cleaning:intake manifold on or off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Egr port cleaning:intake manifold on or off

This could be a poll but it's not because I will take any other advice regarding this procedure. I will be doing this on a f23a1 so I don't need f22ax specifics. From what I can tell the main difference between the two is I will have an egr cover plate that once removed will allow access to the ports. I have read most of the threads on the interwebs (which don't have many pictures left at this point) so I have a pretty good grasp of the concept. Everyone seems to leave the manifold on with just a few people running into issues with stuff falling into the combustion chamber. I have been reading egr port cleaning threads in passing for 15-20 years with my first thought being "take off your manifold that's dangerous". I guess I'm wrong since nobody does and really I have never done egr anything so what do I know. I do know I need a solid plan of action because the car is 600 miles away and I would like to do this, change o2 sensor and all other prep for a 600 mile drive in 1 or 2 days. Thanks
    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

When I've done it on the car, I remove the EGR valve and attach a piece of rubber hose to my shop vac that fits the port tightly. I then start from the far end of manifold (assuming you can get flow all through the passages) to remove the plugs, then blast brake cleaner into it and let the shop vac pull it and any debris through. I then work my way toward the EGR valve port. You could work in any order if you use some temporary plugs to block the top holes in the manifold to get the vac to pull from the furthest point.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

neither

Comment

Great idea. Break it loose slide some cardboard or what ever in front of the head and go at it. Is that what those are?

Comment

Originally posted by cb7 calling View Post
          Great idea. Break it loose slide some cardboard or what ever in front of the head and go at it. Is that what those are?
          Those are block off plates. Install them in place of the EGR gasket and it simply blocks the EGR flow. The valve will still operate so it doesn't trip a code.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I might be most in for the plate. Done. Wait just to clarify that's between the egr and the manifold right?
            Last edited by cb7 calling; 02-08-2018, 09:51 PM.

Comment

I might be most in for the plate. Done. Wait just to clarify that's between the egr and the manifold right?
              Correct. I wouldn't use cardboard though, the manifold can get pretty warm. On one of mine, I thought that my drill slipped and I put a big bleed hole below the plug. I just cut a piece of sheet aluminum I had laying around to fit with a new gasket.

Comment

yes, that style sandwiches between the egr valve and manifold, I mean you could get away with a soup can lid or doubled up soda can if youre crafty too, theyre good incase you have visual inspections, everything looks legit. Now if you want the bling..
                all over the intarwebs..

Honda even has an OEM one. P# 18711-PM1-J00

My old SE had the EGR/Subaru rumble during low load/throttle (All the exhaust was going in 1 or 2 cylinders causing a misfire, the block off got rid of that so well I kicked myself for not trying it sooner.

Comment

Will that plate keep code away if I'm obd2? Full disclosure this is a 97 cl 2.3 manual...... would I pass emissions?

Comment

take out the manifold. brake cleaner or carb cleaner might create problems when starting the engine after cleaning .. but when the manifold is off you can be sure, the carb cleaner will evaporate in the sun ... also this would be a chance to clean the runners from oil, yes, oil that will be introduced into the manifold via the PCV valve.

Comment

Working...
                    X