Sun Visor Replacement - Mending Suggestions Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sun Visor Replacement - Mending Suggestions Needed

Found a pair of visors that I thought were in better condition than what I received but I'm willing to try and make it work.

I've run into a snag with some replacement visors from a '97 Accord. The biggest issue are some tears along the mirror flaps where they attach to the visor. A lesser problem is the color is slightly darker. The good part is the driver side has an illuminated mirror unlike the original that came with the 93.

I checked with the upholsterer and unfortunately they can't mend these since it's fused using some proprietary process. There isn't adequate material to run a seam or attach to.

The other problem may be the felt part of the visor. The reconditioning guys aren't sure their dye won't clump when they spray it on non-vinyl or leather surfaces. I'm willing to take the risk if I can at least get the tears fixed.

Otherwise they work great, they actually stay where you put them.

So does anyone know of some "miracle magical" adhesive that might work on the rips?

My Collection:
    93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
    00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
    04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

In my car I actually added a light to the driver side stock mirror, when doing this I learned you can actually replace just that flap or cover if you will.

Take a small flat head and pop out the light cover, pop out the bulb and use a small philips to remove the little screw near the bulb socket. The whole assembly will now lift up on one side and slide out. Flip it over and you'll see the flap is held on with like 5 or 6 crush washers, use a small panel popper tool or a small screwdriver, watch out they'll go flying some times.

Its funny cause I notice my cover was torn a bit too. I'm going to have to do the same soon. Anyways the junkyard would be a good place to grab a new one. I originally got my extra mirror assembly for like 5 bucks, just the mirror forget the whole visor assembly.

In fact with just the flaps off they may be able to upholster them again. Easier to grab good ones at the pick and pull considering they're cloth.
    Last edited by AhYesCB7; 09-16-2017, 08:18 PM.

Comment

I have several in a box, which side do you need? I've found that Mr. Clean Magic erasers work well to clean them (be gentle!).
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I got a little impatient so I just returned these to the eBay seller (literally today) who said he is going to be getting another batch soon.

The funny thing is my original set is better shape than the ones on EB. My only issue is both my left & right sides won't stay all the way up in either direction.

Say fleetw00d I'm looking for both the left and right sides in ivory so if you can possibly post a pic of what you have I would be appreciative...

Thanks

BTW, can someone please tell me the password to access the parts for sale forums?
        Last edited by hiptech; 09-19-2017, 07:46 PM.
        My Collection:

Comment

I tried my hand at fixing a set that I found, didn't turn out well. Nothing adhered well enough (the foam was falling apart too).
          Now I would probably give it another shot and see if I can't figure out how to use fusible webbing instead of adhesives.
          Originally posted by hiptech View Post
          BTW, can someone please tell me the password to access the parts for sale forums?
          Read the Classifieds sticky.
          Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Maybe a needle and thread? If done well I bet it would barely be noticeable.
            My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
            Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
            Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

The materials is so thin and the seams are fused so no excess material exists to sew to. But since I already returned these I'm hopeful there will be more that are in better shape.

Thanks Jon for the PW info...
              My Collection:

Comment

Working...
              X