Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekend warrior & DIY home project pictures thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with you on Bosch, I've pretty much switch everything 18v-24v to Bosch, no dead batteries EVER. Also run their circular saw, trim router, jigsaw, and a few other things.
    Originally posted by toycar View Post
    My bigfoot circular is awesome but is primarily for cutting larger wood. Itll cut a 4x4 clean in one pass.
    How do you like your Bigfoot? I've wanted to get one for in-between the 7-1/4" Bosch and 16" Makita.
    Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Ok here is most of the AC install. I didn't take pictures of how I ran the new lines under the house because... well I didn't want to.

Old furnace removed so new coil can be installed. Thought I might as well clean things up while it was out.
      Here are some before shots. Pretty self explanatory. Fresh air return from above, goes down into the furnace, and goes down into the crawlspace where the plenum is, and gets distributed throughout the house.

The wiring was just kind of loose, so I wanted to get that fixed and install a wall box for the wiring.
      One thing I noticed was that they also nailed a piece of sheetrock on that wall OVER an existing piece. I started to remove the extra piece of sheetrock to find out WHY they slapped another sheet over it. Take a look!

Some asshat of an electrician punched a hole in the wall up top, sawzalled his way down the entire thing, and just kind of 'tucked' the wiring into the cavity. Mind you this is a 2" wide chunk of sheetrock he removed the entire length of the wall to stuff a 1/4" thick piece of wire into. He didn't use a fishtape or anything... hell the Romex wire is stiff enough you can feed it down the wall without the aid of a fishtape.

On top of that, he had this piece of flex conduit shoved in the cavity as well... no wire running through it or anything, just shoved in the wall.

So I removed all the chopped up sheetrock, making a bigger mess than I wanted to, just to fix the wiring which I thought was going to be quick and easy.

So while I was cleaning up the wiring, I thought I might as well redo the thermostat wire run as well, because the last time I had to fix the thermostat, the wire had about 2" worth of play (not fun or easy to try and fix a thermostat with that little bit of wire sticking out the wall).

Romex wire and new thermostat wiring actually IN the wall cavity and stapled.

New construction wall box added (since I had full access to the studs).

Ridged foam installed as per code.

Next up was replacing the chipboard floor that the furnace was sitting on. After 30+ years, some leaks from the water heater, condensation and whatever else, the chipboard really was falling apart. That and I wanted to cover up some of the other holes in the floor that were no longer being used.
      So I took out as MUCH as I could without cutting into the actual floor of the house.

Took some measurements and transferred them over to a piece of plywood.

Cut it out, looks like it's going to fit...

Fits like a glove!

Sheetrock installed, corners taped, and skim coat applied.

The gas line to the furnace and water heater was being held up with nothing more than plumbers tape/strapping and a 2x4. So I took a few minutes and put together this nifty and sturdy 80/20 bracket. Fully supports the gas lines, looks neat, and wont rot!

So that's it for now. I wasn't planning on redoing the that entire wall, wiring, etc. but after I saw what they did I knew I had to fix it and do it right.
      Last edited by Jon; 09-12-2017, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Bigfoot is awesome and has plenty of power to hold horizontally and cut through a 4x4 post and not bind. Not sure if that makes sense, but 5' off the ground and sawing sideways, it chops posts like nobodies business.

Nice work jon, you do nice work and more importantly, thorough
        Originally posted by wed3k
        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

That makes perfect sense. I'm just going to have to get me one.
          And thanks. I've gotten tired of redoing repairs, so I try to make them as permanent as possible.

And I think I'm going to end up doing what [cp]mike did, our water heater is 15 years old now...

Comment

Final update on the AC/furnace. It's 99% complete. Still need to do some wiring cleanup, a bit of painting, and get some or make some new trim pieces for the furnace intake and exhaust pipes... but it all works, passed code, and is a hell of a lot cleaner.

Furnace installed with new coil, newly fabricated upper duct box, and insulation wrap.

And outside unit installed. Way nicer than the old one and easier to keep clean.

Not sure what the next project will be. Whatever it is, I'll make sure to snap some pictures.

Comment

Last year I was planning on installing some outside lights on the front of the garage because there is no light out towards the front of the house.
              So I tackled this about two weeks ago. Also started to clean up and put things together before winter comes... last year sucked (too much damn snow!), and don't want to get caught with unfinished projects like last year.

To get the wire into the front of the garage was tricky. There is a solid 6x10 beam across the top of the garage, so running the wire from the attic and down the face/front of the garage was a no-go.
              The attic space is also nonexistent due to it being the front of the house, so again no access.
              So what I did was run the wire from the existing garage light switch, up into the attic and towards the front of the house as I possible could, poked it down INTO the garage, and from there it was all surface mounted in conduit.

First light switch is for the interior garage lights, second switch is the new outdoor lights, and an AC outlet because it's always nice to have another AC outlet handy.

Here you can see where I poked down from the attic, into the garage, 90° down into a tee. The tee then splits to the first light (down) and over to the right for the second light.

And the final product, super bright LED garage sconces.

Also I would highly recommend these awesome Wago wire connectors over any sort of wirenut. They allowed me to use smaller junction boxes, conduit, and everything. They also clamp tight onto the wire and they have a nice little check port on the back for testing. Gotta love German engineering!

Comment

Those wire connectors are hawt!!
                Sorry, I have a thing for nice wiring.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                  Those wire connectors are hawt!!
                  Sorry, I have a thing for nice wiring.
                  You're not the only one. I'm obsessed with neat and tidy wiring.

Comment

Working...
                  X