Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Side Moldings Refinishing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side Moldings Refinishing...

1. What is the best process in refurbishing the side moldings, side skirts and mud flaps to their original glory?
    2. What is the best coating to use in remaking them black?

I don't intend on color matching them just redoing them in black.

My Project, My Concept
    1990 LX Coupe

"Certified CB7 Tuner"

Curious of this as well. The answers I've seen in the years are...

1. Heat Gun
    2. Mothers Black to Black (garbage IMO)
    3. Other black polish (crap)

Not crap, just doesn't make our faded trim pieces black for very long. You end up doing it over and over every week. Curious to hear from folks to used a heat gun and how it's holding up.

Comment

just do what one of the previous owners of my car did....

JK!

Comment

Now that i think of it, plastic dip would work perfect for this fix...

Comment

I thought of plastidip as well and my curiosity is getting the best of me. I'll post up a few pics of the finished product for ya, bruh. give me a day or so.
          My Project, My Concept
          1990 LX Coupe

"Certified CB7 Tuner"

Comment

Not sure if this pic from PB is working but I fought this problem for years on both the body side moldings and rocker panel. Every solution I tried (and there were many) only lasted a short time.

Eventually I decided the best fix was to have them repainted. Since yours is all black it should be easier. My suggestion is to locate a professional automotive paint supplier in your town and they can help with advice and supplies so the repair will last...

My Collection:
            93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
            00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
            04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

SEM Trim black is good if you just want a matte/flat black trim. I'd suggest using an adhesion promoter like Bulldog first.

Comment

The simplest solution is to paint them. It won't have the same finish of the original rubber, but it's the best way to ensure a lasting, uniform appearance. Plastidip would also be a good option, though I'm not sure how well it will age.

Comment

I put rustoleum semi-gloss black on the black accent of my back bumper a year and a half or so. It's held up perfectly! It looks like I just painted it yesterday, it's survived winter summer and everything in between.
                  I'm faster then a prius

Comment

The best way to paint is to wet sand, apply UV resistant clear coat, and wet sand again. I've never been very good at that.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not very good at it either, I like the plastidip idea because if I screw it up I can atleast peal it off and try again!!!
                      My Project, My Concept
                      1990 LX Coupe

"Certified CB7 Tuner"

Comment

In a few days I'll be doing a trial run of the Wipe New Trim Restore product on mine... we'll see.
                        Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

I guess I cheated, I put new ones on Ruby (4+ years ago).
                          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

So I'll be attempting to refurbish my side moldings tomorrow using plastidip, I will post pics tomorrow afternoon.
                            My Project, My Concept
                            1990 LX Coupe

"Certified CB7 Tuner"

Comment

I used black shoe polish on mine. They look allot better than they did. Not as good as removing them and painting them I'm sure but still pretty decent for a quick fix.
                              5 studded & leather clad - Praise The Lowered

~Mark~

Comment

Working...
                              X