Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

New to the forum and a quick Q about wheel lug pattern...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the forum and a quick Q about wheel lug pattern...

First off, I was looking for an introductions subforum but didn't see a spot for it... anyway since this is my first post, I thought I'd introduce myself first with a quick background:

I knew I was going to be a car guy when I was 12 years old. Joined my first car forum at 13 (ClubSi) spent the next few years reading and learning all I could gather. By the time I turned 15 I had become a member of NICOClub and strayed from Honda Love, deciding I wanted RWD, and bought my first S13 while I still had a learner permit. I've owned a fair number of cars since I turned 16; I've had two S13 coupes, an S13 convertible, a UCF10, an FC, an S13 fastback, and finally a Z33... but in a couple of days I'm going to be buying my first Honda:

a 1991 CB9.

I still have my Z33 but due to making the dumbest decision of my life, I got a (first offense) dui a few months back, and if convicted, will be required to have a IID installed in my car... so on tuesday I am picking up a CB9 for a commuter that i'll have the breathalyzer installed in. Its a bit of a bucket, the entire interior is stripped most of the plastics, all of the door panels, and all seats are removed except the drivers seat... and that seat has no cushioning; it's just the frame of the seat, with a couple of pillows on it but, the engine and trans seem to be surprisingly healthy, and its a steal at $400.

Anyway, enough about me and my situation.

My question is this: What is the stock lug pattern on a CB9? I have searched, and i have read 4x114.3 a few times... I just want to be sure, as I have always known Honda's to typically use 4x100. I'm going to be making a trip to a pick n pull tomorrow hoping to get some interior pieces (door panels primarily) and might try to come up on some steelies... as the car im buying has 17" "chrome" wheels on it.... and in my opinion they're awful. I'd like to swap them out for some more appropriate, smaller diameter wheels for the car, and sell them to ultimately make the purchase price on the car even cheaper. anyway, good to meet you all and lookin forward to being a part of this community.

4x114.3 is correct. 4x100 is what civics use.

As long as the cb9 isn't too much of a bucket, you should be pretty satisfied with it. I've had a number of interesting cars in my time, and the cb offers a certain level of quality that is hard to find. These cars are very well made for what they are. Better even than newer hondas.
    Sucks about the dui. It's a harsh learning experience.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      These cars are very well made for what they are. Better even than newer hondas.
      I have also noticed the build quality being much better on the older '90s Honda's.

To the OP- the correct bolt pattern is 4x114.3. I had a set of nice Work wheels that were on my Integra that I thought would fit on my CB, but they were 4x100 so that was a no-go

Comment

Originally posted by TheChevyGuy View Post
        I have also noticed the build quality being much better on the older '90s Honda's.

To the OP- the correct bolt pattern is 4x114.3. I had a set of nice Work wheels that were on my Integra that I thought would fit on my CB, but they were 4x100 so that was a no-go
        Before someone else mentions it, there are adapters to change to 4x100, but I would strongly advise against using them. Such things really aren't safe.

Comment

Thanks all for the warm welcome and for the clear and concise answers. After a few little hiccups and nonsense, I got the title and key from the seller yesterday, and picked up the car during my lunch break today. Got all my jobs done today with about an hour to spare, clocked out early and got the cb9 up on the hoist... found a few minor things, car has no power steering currently. Pump is seized, and according to the seller the outflow line from the rack is cracked. I'm going to just dive in and replace the entire rack assembly including hard lines, inner and outer tie rods, and pump. May as well just go for it. Parts are cheap... That's the only major issue mechanically.

Looks like the front main seal is seeping, but according to the seller the oil level doesn't drop at any significant leak so I'm just gonna keep an eye on it and if its not significant I'm gonna just let it seep. More trouble than it's worth imo.

everything else is minor bullsh... well, besides the stripped to hell interior. car has only one seat (driver's) and that seat is literally just the metal. no cushioning, no fabric... its hellish. needless to say, the car is going to be residing at my shop until I can get at least one decent driver's seat in there. The boss has a pair of stock NA Miata seats at the shop left over from his old AutoX car, which I think he's going to let me have. I'll likely fab up some mounts for at least the driver's seat using the stock accord seat rail and some square stock. We'll see.

Anyway, one other quick question on wheels; anyone know off the top of their head, the minimum wheel diameter to clear calipers or anything else that may be in the way? I'd do the measuring myself but as I said, the car is at the shop and i am home for the weekend. I'm just trolling craigslist for a cheap set of 4x114's and found a set or two of 14's... wondering if theyll clear. I know CB's came stock with either 14's or 15's but wasn't sure if 14's will fit being that it's a wagon and I've read they have larger brakes...

TLDR; will 14's fit on a CB9 wagon? (EX)

Comment

14" won't fit on a wagon. Even an LX trim wagon has 15" steelies

Comment

thanks deevergote

Comment

you can also use 4X4.5" as long as the backspacing/offset isnt obscene..like old mustang wheels.. just remember whatever wheel you use, you want hub bore adapters if theyre not the same as honda. ie: Im using Nissan Altima steelies but their hub bores a couple mm larger.

Comment

good stuff, erik thanks.

I'm going to be making a trip to the junkyard this weekend, see if i can source some parts for the interior... seats and door panels mainly. the miata seats were a bust... the stock rails on the miata seat are about 13-14" wide vs the accord's ~18" ...it could've been done but wasn't worth the headache.

Does anyone know about sedan vs wagon interchangable parts? namely rear door panels and rear seats?

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                    you can also use 4X4.5" as long as the backspacing/offset isnt obscene..like old mustang wheels.. just remember whatever wheel you use, you want hub bore adapters if theyre not the same as honda. ie: Im using Nissan Altima steelies but their hub bores a couple mm larger.
                    4.5 inches =114.3mm

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by FeintMind View Post
                      good stuff, erik thanks.

I'm going to be making a trip to the junkyard this weekend, see if i can source some parts for the interior... seats and door panels mainly. the miata seats were a bust... the stock rails on the miata seat are about 13-14" wide vs the accord's ~18" ...it could've been done but wasn't worth the headache.

Does anyone know about sedan vs wagon interchangable parts? namely rear door panels and rear seats?
                      Rear seats are not interchangeable. You could probably get creative to make them fit, but they won't bolt right up.
                      Door panels, I'm not sure. I believe they may be, but I don't want to say for certain.

Miata seats aren't all that great anyway. At least the 1st gen seats are nothing special. Comfy enough, but the CB7 seats are far superior.
                      Look into some Acura TL seats (the older model.)
                      Most other seats are going to need significant modification to mount the rails properly. You definitely don't want seats that aren't 100% secure!
                      If you can't weld, and you don't have someone that will do cheap or free quality welding for you, it'd probably cost nearly as much to install some junkyard seats as it would to buy a set of relatively affordable aftermarket seats (Corbeau A4 was always my top choice) and a set of appropriate rails.

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
                        4.5 inches =114.3mm
                        yup, but most people dont think to convert so the 4.5" pattern goes off their radar..

Originally posted by FeintMind View Post
                        good stuff, erik thanks.
                        youre welcome, post some progress pics if you dont mind.
                        (you need a photo hosting service and drop the IMG links here to share)

Comment

Let's see some pics of this bucket!
                          I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
                            Let's see some pics of this bucket!
                            I'll be getting a ride to work tomorrow and leaving my Z at home so I can finally bring the cb9 home with me for the weekend, I'll take some shots of it tomorrow after work once I get it home and post them for all to see. I wish I had taken at least one before pic of the driver's seat, but I didn't... yesterday at lunch I went to Walmart and bought a foam mattress topper, a memory foam pillow, a couple cheap throw blankets and a couple of rolls of duct tape and threw together a very cheap very fast "upholstery" job on the seat after work, lmao. Just a temporary thing to make it bearable to drive until I can get something decent in there, hopefully this weekend after the pick'n'pull run... but yeah the car ain't pretty, she's got a lot of work ahead of her... but I'll post some pics of the starting point and then more along the way. I'll probably start a new thread in Member's rides and post a link, assuming that's the correct way to go about doing so.

Comment

You can't post there until you have 30 posts. But if you want to start a thread in the beginner image gallery that follows the proper members rides format (it's the only format we're strict about around here), then I can move it for you once you hit 30.

Comment

Working...
                              X