Is it possible for ECM/PGM-FI to adjust timing on OBD1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible for ECM/PGM-FI to adjust timing on OBD1

I got a 92 accord ex. I was wondering if it is possible for the ECM or PGM-FI to adjust ignition timing on its own on an obd1 car.

It will make slight timing adjustments based on sensor inputs, BARO, MAP, RPM, TPS and ECT. But the physical timing still has to be set up properly form the beginning in order for it to work properly. Only after 1995 (OBDII) was the Accord ignition timing 100% ECU based.
    MR Thread
    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
      It will make slight timing adjustments based on sensor inputs, BARO, MAP, RPM, TPS and ECT. But the physical timing still has to be set up properly form the beginning in order for it to work properly. Only after 1995 (OBDII) was the Accord ignition timing 100% ECU based.
      So maybe the ecu did this over time. AS i have changed out alot of things since the mechanic changed my belt. But still i don't see how the ecm would ever effect timing that much if timing belt was aligned properly. So is there a solution so i don't have to remove my timing belt or do i get mechanic to fix his mistake?

Comment

There is no way to fix a timing issue with the computer if the physical timing is off. Only way to fix that is to redo the timing belt with all the timing marks properly aligned.

Are you sure the physical timing is off? Did you verify this by lining up the timing marks on the crank and camshaft?
        MR Thread
        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
          There is no way to fix a timing issue with the computer if the physical timing is off. Only way to fix that is to redo the timing belt with all the timing marks properly aligned.

Are you sure the physical timing is off? Did you verify this by lining up the timing marks on the crank and camshaft?

No i haven't verified physically. It all makes perfect sense now.My Honda Certified mechanic effd up the marks cause he thought it was obd2. He even insisted they set themselves and i texted him back they don't. Thinking i didn't know what i was talking about.He probably had no ideal how to set the timing marks. Just put #1 cylinder tdc and went on or who knows. It looks like there is more to these cars than that though. Was reading up on putting on the timing belt.I realized after i picked it up that lower rpm's ran so nice and gas mileage got a little worse. I thought at the time, wow nice. Even though i had yet to put an o2,fix my egr system,ECT, pcv valve, evap canister(had broken tip) in it. It ran about 1700 miles like this. I have never been above 4500 rpms. So i am hoping it didn't fk anything up.

Comment

On an extra note this really effn pisses me off about my mechanic. I know he isn't a shyster but wtf. 7 months i have been trying to track down my issues and assuming the whole time my timing is perfect. And recently after fixing egr lift valve sensor and reinstalling the egr itself my gas mpg absolutely plummeted to 7 or 8 mpg. I am fkn praying that my engine is fine and all this knowledge i have gotten in last 9 or 10 months from here isn't to waste. I am never ever never believing another mechanic about something so crucial yet easy(i didn't want to purchase timing gun). I am even wondering now if i have sludge build up. He told me i didn't after he replaced the oil pan gasket. Car sat for 3 years. Was hard to believe there was no oil sludge build up.

Comment

Working...
            X