No announcement yet.

Rilas : 2004 Acura TL Base w/ Navigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well so far so good. An entire day of normal driving and I don't even have any pending CEL's. I'm going to give it a few days though before we call this one actually solved. I'm feeling much more confident this time around though.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

I think Ava hates me....

After 50 miles of in town driving and 4:50 of run time since replacing the PVC valve and resetting the ecu, I got the dreaded CEL P2279 yet again. At least I feel that progress is starting to be made. It took it a good while for it to kick the CEL this time. At least that means I have been eliminating problems, even if at a snails pace. I'm not exactly sure where to go from here. I guess for giggles I could smoke test the engine again just to verify that I have actually solved all the air leaks for good. I'm going to call my mechanic buddy tonight and see what his thoughts on this are. I think just to humor myself as well I'm going to re-check the valves.

Comment

Well turns out Ava is less grumpy than she was a week ago. Randomly this morning before work when I started her up, there was no more CEL. I check the status on my phone and weirdly it shows that it still has a code and a pending code. Both of which are P2279, at this point in time, since the ECU actually isn't grumpy, I'm calling this solved. (Now watch, the CEL comes back on in a week or so.) I'm going to check it with my GF's phone tomorrow to see if Andriod's app can see any different from the ECU.

Comment

Of course 2 days after my last posting the damn CEL comes back on. This past weekend I put in some work on Ava. She's had a squeaking brake for awhile now. Since I was changing the tires from summer to winter, I decided to over haul the brakes. While I didn't replace anything I did scrub everything clean removing tons of grease/dust/dirt. Then re-greased the parts and reassembled it all. Since it was still in the garage I decided to take another stab at my P2279 CEL. I tore the entire top end of the engine apart again and did a 2nd valve adjustment. I found about 5 valves that were a bit too tight. After readjusting all the valves I put it all back together. So far I don't have a CEL again yet, but last time it took about 4-5 days to pop up. I'll keep you all informed on how this long drawn out battle goes.

Comment

Alright so after doing this, the CEL did come back on. Only 3 days after doing the valve adjustment the CEL came back on, on my way home from work. I just parked the car that night and didn't even care to think about it. Well the next morning I fired up the car and the CEL was gone. It hasn't returned since nor is it pending anymore. I'm not sure why it popped up then decided to clear itself totally. I took a trip to Phillipsburg in her and she averaged 28 MPG at 85 MPH, and the CEL hasn't reared it's ugly head again.

I think I have finally solved this damn CEL. Finally now Ava is able to be taken for road trips. Now we aren't mandated to take the Pilot for longer road trips. The only downside is that the TL doesn't have the DVD player for my son in the ceiling. Otherwise though it's going to be nice to actually take this car places other then regulating it to take me to work and home.

Comment

Wow. & do you want to take it on long drives now? That feeling that the light will come back again. But what solved it? Do you know?

This is more than a headache and a half, this is crazy. Can you image paying Acura to do the work you did for this problem. OMG....

Comment

I believe what solved it was the 2nd valve adjustment. It seems these damn engines are super sensitive to the tolerances. Then again it could also be that the heads were both shaved by .005" which is throwing my valve specs off just enough to be out of spec and causing the damn CEL. I'm not sure why though about 4-5 of the valves were slightly over tight. I guess it just wasn't my day for lining up the cam gear to the cover perfectly. OMG I would have shot myself if I had paid any mechanic to do this work let alone Honda/Acura, they could keep the damn car for the cost of the bill.

Comment

Hey Rilas, do you have any instructions on that smoke tester set up? My Lude has a serious vacuum leak that I can't seem to isolate with just soap and water.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Sonnik here is the parts list. Cost me about $50 said and done.

1 Paint Can
                    1 Block of Styrofoam
                    1 Package Incense
                    1 Propane Regulator
                    1 Air Hose Fitting
                    3 Barbed Fittings
                    1 Nylon Hose
                    1 Sealant

Drill 2 holes in the paint can and seal in the barbed fittings with some gasket maker. I used Hondabond as I had some in the garage. Using some tape, tape the styrofoam block to the bottom of the paint can. Install the air hose fitting into the inlet side of the propane pressure fitting, and install the barbed fitting onto the outlet side. Cut and install the nylon hose between the propane pressure regulator and the paint can. Install the rest of the hose on the other fitting on the paint can.

Once the gasket maker is dry, get about 8-10 incense in the paint can and burning. Put on the lid after the hook up the air hose to the propane regulator, the minimal amount of air flow will keep the incense burning and producing smoke for you. I think you have about 10 minutes or so until you burn the sticks all the way down. This gives you more than enough time each round to check for leaks.

Comment

Alright so almost 700 miles on this and the CEL isn't back. I think I'm calling this solved for real this time. Also on the morning of December 20th I came out to take the car to work, to find a dead battery in it. I also found out it was undersized and meant for a 4 cylinder car. No wonder the battery was toast in under 4 years. I bought a correct sized battery last night, and got her up and running again. Otherwise I haven't really even looked at Ava lately, I do need to get her in the garage and take care of some issues on the interior and the suspension that need some attention.

Comment

Working...
                      X