Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vietkid_2006 View Post
    Welcome to the V6 6 speed side!

I've done almost all bolt ons to the engine if you have any questions on anything.

Thanks! I forgot you had yours!
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Any updates?

On a side note- I just finished the book Sled Driver. Was a pretty good read!

Comment

Nice pick up dude. I recently had an Accord sedan 4cyl loaner and I'm kind of smitten. Honda has not lost a step with chassis tuning. I can't afford the used V6 sedan I want though.

I have done a few projector retrofits and am familiar with these. They are basically the halogen versions of the projectors in the TL. The only real question mark will be the quality of the bulbs- no OEM makes HID bulbs for this (for good reason). That said, TheRetrofitSource has some projectors that basically drop in once you open up the headlight. It's a little bit of a nightmare the first time but you are a smart guy. Get a second set of OEM headlights if you can and do the retro at your own pace.

If I had one of these I think my first mods would be new pads/rotors, ST coilovers and a Quaife if they make one.

Originally posted by lordoja
        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
          Any updates?

On a side note- I just finished the book Sled Driver. Was a pretty good read!
          One of the coolest airplanes that everyone has heard of, but nobody knows about.

Where did you get a copy of that? I tried to buy a copy and they were like $400!

Other than that, no updates.

I got backed into in a parking lot and it put a dent in the bumper right above the rear reflector. Technology is pretty amazing because they were able to actually repair the OEM bumper cover and it looks good as new!

Other than that, just driving it. About 50% of the way to my first oil change.

I did decide that after having a 2016 Kia Sorento as the rental while they fixed my car that Honda really needs to get their ICE shit together.

This system has some nice features, but it is SLOW, buggy and inconsistent. Sometimes it connects to my phone right away, and sometimes not at all. Sometimes I turn it on after being on FM, and it is on some other random source.

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
            Nice pick up dude. I recently had an Accord sedan 4cyl loaner and I'm kind of smitten. Honda has not lost a step with chassis tuning. I can't afford the used V6 sedan I want though.

I have done a few projector retrofits and am familiar with these. They are basically the halogen versions of the projectors in the TL. The only real question mark will be the quality of the bulbs- no OEM makes HID bulbs for this (for good reason). That said, TheRetrofitSource has some projectors that basically drop in once you open up the headlight. It's a little bit of a nightmare the first time but you are a smart guy. Get a second set of OEM headlights if you can and do the retro at your own pace.

If I had one of these I think my first mods would be new pads/rotors, ST coilovers and a Quaife if they make one.
            It's definitely a nice car.

I looked at TRR's projector kits, but decided I don't want to mess with it for a long long while, if ever. I will probably just put a set of HID bulbs like I did on the Si (never had a problem with them) and leave it at that.

This car definitely needs a rear sway above all else, but pads would probably be my only other suspension modification. It rides nice, handles well enough and has a good tradeoff between handling/ride.

I would like a Quaife, but I doubt I will ever tear the tranny down to do it. If I did, I think the old 3rd gen TL unit fits, but I honestly haven't even looked into it.

Comment

I just saw this! Wow! great pickup!

To get over the HID thing, have you tried sourcing a set of Canadian Coupe LED headlights?

The touring version of the sedan had LED lights as stock in the US but Canada got both the Coupe and Sedan available with LEDs. I wouldn't buy from a dealer as the price of these are probably 4-500 a pop, instead, see if there are any Canadian Accord coupes being parted out possibly?

I've even seen LED bulbs that you can purchase now, I'm not sure about output in a projector however. Amazon has a set for about 40 bucks, so roughly equivalent to a cheap HID kit.

And also, they made an HFP suspension kit for the Coupe, actually even an HFP coupe but it was only available in Auto V6 form.

member's ride thread
              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
              91 Accord SE 176k
              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                I just saw this! Wow! great pickup!

To get over the HID thing, have you tried sourcing a set of Canadian Coupe LED headlights?

The touring version of the sedan had LED lights as stock in the US but Canada got both the Coupe and Sedan available with LEDs. I wouldn't buy from a dealer as the price of these are probably 4-500 a pop, instead, see if there are any Canadian Accord coupes being parted out possibly?

I've even seen LED bulbs that you can purchase now, I'm not sure about output in a projector however. Amazon has a set for about 40 bucks, so roughly equivalent to a cheap HID kit.

And also, they made an HFP suspension kit for the Coupe, actually even an HFP coupe but it was only available in Auto V6 form.
                Yeah, we looked at a Touring when my parents bought theirs, but it was way overpriced for what was effectively a set of LED headlights and adaptive cruise control.

And honestly, I HATE the look of the LED lights on this pre-MMC Accord, so I don't think I will go that route.

As for HFP, probably won't do anything to the suspension now that I am old. It rides good, and handles pretty well, so in a big, flat, boring place like Texas, it is actually pretty fitting.

But I do like it a lot. Can't decide if I regret selling the Si or not, especially since I now need something a bit more practical.

Honda also did a FANTASTIC job of amping the character of this car up a bit compared to the sedan. There is a little more driveline buzz at low RPM's the exhaust sounds good from the inside (and decent outside) and you just get a little bit of that older school mechanical involvement, like a bit of gear whine from the tranny, some mild exhaust burble when you let off the gas and the fantastic melody of the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                  One of the coolest airplanes that everyone has heard of, but nobody knows about.

Where did you get a copy of that? I tried to buy a copy and they were like $400!

Other than that, no updates.

I got backed into in a parking lot and it put a dent in the bumper right above the rear reflector. Technology is pretty amazing because they were able to actually repair the OEM bumper cover and it looks good as new!

Other than that, just driving it. About 50% of the way to my first oil change.

I did decide that after having a 2016 Kia Sorento as the rental while they fixed my car that Honda really needs to get their ICE shit together.

This system has some nice features, but it is SLOW, buggy and inconsistent. Sometimes it connects to my phone right away, and sometimes not at all. Sometimes I turn it on after being on FM, and it is on some other random source.

Ah, yea I wanted to buy it but it's still $400.

I got a PDF version haha. I just had to read it. Hopefully one day I will have the extra cash to buy it for my library.

All I can say, is making a u-turn in that plane easily clears 3-4 fucking states. Just amazing.

Sucks about the bumper, but glad they got it sorted out.

I got tapped at 4am at work and thankfully the co-worker left a note. Ended up being $500 to basically do what you got done and the guy paid cash.

Someone tapped me again in Newark and left two fucking screw marks like a month late and obviously they did not leave a note so it looks like shit again.

Oh well.

Im in the same boat, I want to just drive it into the ground and then maybe I can jump into a newerish 6spd v6 before they all go away lol.

Comment

Had the airbag light come on right after they fixed the bumper (a few days).

Apparently, the inertial sensor randomly took a crap at about the same time, so it had nothing to do with the accident or repair. It was covered under warranty thankfully.

Other than that, I just detailed it yesterday. The previous owner definitely wasn't as diligent about caring for the paint, but luckily many of what I thought were blemishes was really just left over wax, etc.

Comment

Just had the second oil change under my care. So far so good.

Also got bored today, so I did an LED lighting upgrade to all interior and tail lights, minus the turn signals (didn't want to deal with CAN BUS enabler and resistors.)

Also found a cool hack for the stock radio system the other day. It seems that Honda basically put the Civic Si stereo in the car and then "detuned" it. They had an internal crossover setting that seemed to be limiting the lower frequencies and the highs. It also served to make the sound seem a lot more "muddy." Changed the setting and the stereo is MUCH more responsive and powerful, although now the parcel shelf rattles a bit, so I will have to take care of that.

Next step will probably be to put an HID kit in it, paint the brake calipers black and then do a Dr. Colorchip touchup.

I am pondering brake upgrade options for this car as it only has 11.5" rotors, which are actually smaller than what was on the Si, which was much lighter and significantly slower. There are a couple of options here, but I am leaning either toward and upgrade to the 12.3" rotors of the 2016-2017 Sport/Touring brakes, or a BBK using the 2nd gen RL calipers and an adapter bracket.

Comment

Im at 60k.

Really itching for a 6-6 lol.

From my reading, the only 6-6 that came in white, were 2015!??!?

If I don't get white, I am probably going to get another grey again. Its great at hiding imperfections(mostly).

That is, if I don't splurge and get a 2.0T Sport lol.

I am wanting to do an HID kit as well. First kit I did was DDM and I had return rod issues. Sent it back. Then I did the H9 swap, which was good. About a month ago both bulbs went out, so I just put some silverstars in, but I would like to do the HID swap again with a good kit from TRS.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                          Im at 60k.

Really itching for a 6-6 lol.

From my reading, the only 6-6 that came in white, were 2015!??!?

If I don't get white, I am probably going to get another grey again. Its great at hiding imperfections(mostly).

That is, if I don't splurge and get a 2.0T Sport lol.

I am wanting to do an HID kit as well. First kit I did was DDM and I had return rod issues. Sent it back. Then I did the H9 swap, which was good. About a month ago both bulbs went out, so I just put some silverstars in, but I would like to do the HID swap again with a good kit from TRS.
                          Honestly, my favorite color on these is Still Night Pearl. Simply one of the coolest Honda colors to come out in ages. It's like Deep Ocean Pearl on our HR-V, but with a more vivid blue base and a LOT more purple in the light. You can get it on a 6-6 if you get the MMC 16-17 model, which I don't like as much (but the grill can be dealt with).

I'm going to take it on a cruise for the next few days as we have a route around here that takes you up along Lake Mead's shoreline and then through an area called the Valley of Fire. Supposed to be a pretty good drive and should allow me to get a good feel for the chassis on roads that aren't Texasy. At some point, I will take this down AZ 89A since I know it well and I know it will expose any weaknesses in the tuning. I'm thinking a rear sway from Progress is probably on the table at this point just because they are cheap, quick, easy and effective. They also don't kill ride height or quality.

I looks like my coilover options are either BC Racing or Tein. Tein has essentially swapped everything over to their new line of non-rebuildable Chinese crap, so I may still pick up an HFP set too. I would like to lower the front a very small amount and then lower the rear about .5". H&R has a set that does 1" in the front and .2" in the rear, but I have not typically been very thrilled with H&R's ride quality.

So far, it seems that the chassis actually has quite a bit of grip (a LOT more than you would expect). I would say total grip is pretty close to the Si, but it doesn't turn in as fast, and it doesn't set as immediately, so it sort of rolls in and takes a set and then it is actually surprisingly neutral compared to other Honda V6 cars. I think a Progress Bar would be a good first change based on what I have experienced with them in my other cars. Then I'll decide on the ride height issue.

Honestly, if you have a chance to pick one up, I would recommend it. The 2.0T Sport is pretty bad ass IMO, and I love the new Accord overall, but the 2.0T is going to have a very different power delivery and is slower once you take away the 10AT. The 2.0T 6MT Sport in Still Night Pearl would be pretty cool though. Keep in mind also, that you will get a lot less content with the new Sport than you would with a V6-6. You lose things like seat memory, the best sound system, leather, and a lot of other little features. And you lose the sound of the J35.

Comment

I have Teins on my G37. Build quality wise, the Chinese stuff is still good. The reason they made the switch is for cost, but the biggie was really moving to sealed dampers for their budget line since it's not worth rebuilding a $400 coilover. They will just ship you a new damper. The Flex Z is a pretty quality unit. I'm thinking about upgrading from my Basis Zs as they have stiffer spring rates and higher quality + more regressive damping. If you haven't I'd probably look at stickier tires if you go the coilover route. It's a slippery slope.....

Originally posted by lordoja
                            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                              I have Teins on my G37. Build quality wise, the Chinese stuff is still good. The reason they made the switch is for cost, but the biggie was really moving to sealed dampers for their budget line since it's not worth rebuilding a $400 coilover. They will just ship you a new damper. The Flex Z is a pretty quality unit. I'm thinking about upgrading from my Basis Zs as they have stiffer spring rates and higher quality + more regressive damping. If you haven't I'd probably look at stickier tires if you go the coilover route. It's a slippery slope.....
                              Stickier tires go without saying. It has a set of "UHP Summer" tires on it now, but they are some no name brand, so I don't push them assuming they are great. One of the things I haven't really had too much of a chance to try out, although they actually have handled any pushing I have given them so far.

I'll take a look at the Tein's again, but still don't know if I want to dick with setting ride height and such.

Comment

I went back and looked at them again, the Street Advance Z would probably be th best choice for me. I guess the advantage is that I can get the look exactly where I want it and for $300 more than a set of springs you basically get a good matched damper with it. I like the H&R OE Sport spring rates, but the rake on them is a little extreme with a difference of nearly a full inch.

It just seems like overkill for a set that isn't probably ever going to be adjusted beyond the initial adjustment. As close to an OEM ride is also key, so they make a little nervous about that. The Tein Street Advance Z springs are like 81% stiffer in front. That's a pretty massive increase.

Comment

Working...
                                X