CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 01-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #21
91kid
CB7tuner Member

91kid is cool... so far.
Send a message via MSN to 91kid
OK well i see where you guys are coming from and i know im cheap but i like to have good stuff haha... so i guess ill have to save up and get the yellows.... now what about koni reds... i heard theyre similiar but have less adjustbility?

Click it.... You know you wanna
Bought from:Joshy,H22WAGON93, nho93accord,90accordLXGUY,phantomCB7,Tommi
91kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #22
mndude07
Contributing Member

mndude07 seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to mndude07
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92smokeaccord View Post
if hes gonna spend $500 on something else why not spend the extra $100 for the really good stuff.just my 0.2.
What good stuff are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91kid
The reds should have the same adjustability, but you have to take them off the car in order to do it, while the yellows have a knob. If you aren't going to be using a shock dyno to match them, I recommend the yellows.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:58 PM   #23
92smokeaccord
CB7tuner Member

92smokeaccord seems to have made some friends! 92smokeaccord seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mndude07 View Post
What good stuff are you talking about?
the konis.

my new turbo build
92smokeaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #24
trurider69
Newcomer

trurider69 is cool... so far.
i have a set of koni sp3 and they are they best thing i have bought for my car yet.
you won't be disappointed with these struts

p.s. i bought mine off craigslist for 400 brand new in the box
trurider69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #25
cb7pr
Southern Regional Moderator

cb7pr is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trurider69 View Post
i have a set of koni sp3 and they are they best thing i have bought for my car yet.

lucky bastard, j/k

'09 Mini Cooper S (R56)
cb7pr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #26
mndude07
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91kid View Post
OK well i see where you guys are coming from and i know im cheap but i like to have good stuff haha... so i guess ill have to save up and get the yellows.... now what about koni reds... i heard theyre similiar but have less adjustbility?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trurider69 View Post

Its true. This guy knows. The SP3's are the shit.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #27
91kid
CB7tuner Member

91kid is cool... so far.
Ok well i guess ima start saving my pennys wheres a good spot to buy em?

Old 01-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #28
mndude07
Contributing Member

Quote:
Ok well i guess ima start saving my pennys wheres a good spot to buy em?
If you want the SP3's then you have to get them from neuspeed's site. They're 125 a piece for a further improved version of the koni yellow. Its not that bad.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #29
cb7pr
Southern Regional Moderator

cb7pr is cool... so far.
x2, neuspeed.com, thats all you need.

'09 Mini Cooper S (R56)
cb7pr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #30
Teddy
CB7tuner Member

Teddy is cool... so far.
hi i just called http://neuspeed.com/ they are nice .. if you call them there prices are cheaper then on there web sight .. i`m going to save up for some.. i think the sp`3 red were $99 you should call them...i had him price out springs,struts,camber adjustment for front and rear it came out to 832.59 he said $800.00 would be the price for all of it ...wow

Last edited by Teddy; 01-18-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #31
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Don't bother with the reds... pay the extra for the yellows. Trust me. 99.999% of the people on this site (myself included) do not have the knowledge and equipment to properly make use of shocks that can only be adjusted off the car. Most of us won't know what to do with externally adjustables, either... but at least we can play with them until they feel right.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #32
91kid
CB7tuner Member

91kid is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Don't bother with the reds... pay the extra for the yellows. Trust me. 99.999% of the people on this site (myself included) do not have the knowledge and equipment to properly make use of shocks that can only be adjusted off the car. Most of us won't know what to do with externally adjustables, either... but at least we can play with them until they feel right.

Haha true true.. I will be doing the yellows with GC sleeves most likely..

You guys have convinced me that 500 is well worth the highest quality shock and the last set ill have to buy

Old 01-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #33
mndude07
Contributing Member

Quote:
x2. Removing the shocks to make adjustments would be a royal pain in the ass, especially if you're doing it by "feel" which is half-assed already honestly, but its the best thing any/most of us have. The resolution on the reds is worse than the yellows too, which isn't very good as it is. What I mean by that is: most people are only going to be able to eye-ball 1/8th of a turn of the knob on a yellow. If you told me you could eyeball 15 or 20 degrees, i wouldn't believe you. This is even more difficult to do with one of the reds.

Now, if you can get a shock dyno to match them and tune them properly, then go for it...but at that point you might as well get a Bilstein.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #34
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
I've personally had AGX and Koni Yellows... and trust me... the difference is night and day! Anyone who says otherwise probably thinks a Hyundai Sonata is as good as a Honda Accord.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #35
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndude07 View Post
x2. Removing the shocks to make adjustments would be a royal pain in the ass, especially if you're doing it by "feel" which is half-assed already honestly, but its the best thing any/most of us have. The resolution on the reds is worse than the yellows too, which isn't very good as it is. What I mean by that is: most people are only going to be able to eye-ball 1/8th of a turn of the knob on a yellow. If you told me you could eyeball 15 or 20 degrees, i wouldn't believe you. This is even more difficult to do with one of the reds.

Now, if you can get a shock dyno to match them and tune them properly, then go for it...but at that point you might as well get a Bilstein.
Very true. Bilsteins are non-adjustable, right? At least what they offer for us. You'd have to have them custom valved from the factory. Which would be fantastic if you knew what you were ordering them for, and the car was going to use them for a specific purpose (like racing).

With my Konis, I really just go with full soft for driving, and full stiff at the drag strip to help combat squat and keep the front traction as good as it can be. Once I finally get the car on a road course, I'll play with them some more... but that will have to be by feel. I don't even know where to find a shock dyno around here!

Old 01-18-2010, 09:01 PM   #36
91kid
CB7tuner Member

91kid is cool... so far.
So the nuespeed konis and GC a good idea?

Old 01-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #37
mndude07
Contributing Member

Quote:
Very true. Bilsteins are non-adjustable, right? At least what they offer for us. You'd have to have them custom valved from the factory. Which would be fantastic if you knew what you were ordering them for, and the car was going to use them for a specific purpose (like racing).

With my Konis, I really just go with full soft for driving, and full stiff at the drag strip to help combat squat and keep the front traction as good as it can be. Once I finally get the car on a road course, I'll play with them some more... but that will have to be by feel. I don't even know where to find a shock dyno around here!
Yeah Bilsteins are non-adjustable, but their construction is amazing and they are more consistent than a Koni. Also, they can be re-valved trackside in minutes, while a Koni needs to be serviced directly by Koni. That's the beauty of a custom-valved Bilstein. Since they have such consistency, if they are custom valved from the factory, and they have no adjustment, in theory they should all be matched perfectly so you don't need a dyno. Koni's you have to play with the knobs to match them and tune them properly. A half turn on one yellow may not equal a half turn on another yellow.

I personally can't stand my Koni's on full soft with my Neuspeed race springs. It feels too spongy...and I DD the car. I doubt the springs are being dampened enough at that point also...but I'll agree it does feel more comfortable. When I get farther along in my suspension build I'll document my selection process with my shocks and spring rates and make a post about it.

Quote:
So the nuespeed konis and GC a good idea?
Yes, it is a very sound setup for most applications and I think you'll like it. I think the off the shelf GC rates are on the softer side though. If you want to do me and yourself a favor, you could call Koni and ask about the shock forces for the yellows for the accord and let me know.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #38
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

GC offers options in spring rate as well. That's one of the great things about that company.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:31 PM   #39
mndude07
Contributing Member

Quote:
GC offers options in spring rate as well. That's one of the great things about that company.
Yup. If Koni will disclose the force range on their yellows that would be perfect because then everyone on this site will know exactly how stiff they can go with their springs on their koni's. I'm surprised no one has found this info yet. I'll call myself if I have time outside class.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #40
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

We have a serious lack of suspension knowledge on here, sadly. We know how to install it, what we need to keep our tires from wearing unevenly, and what shocks and springs are made well (or not)... but that's about the extent of it. Even the autocrossers don't know all that much.

Anything you can contribute to that would be GREATLY appreciated!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: