Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

No ignition after head gasket replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No ignition after head gasket replacement.

So I did a Head gasket replacement. I pretty much tore apart the whole top have of the engine bay. I just finished putting everything (Hopefully) back together. Now the engine won't ignite. That's what I'm thinking. I did open the fuel system and it was left open for over a week. I don't know if its getting fuel or the distributer went out. I check again and it does smell like gas in the engine bay. I don't really know how to test the ignition system or the fuel system.

WHY did you do a head gasket replacement?
    WAS the car running prior to doing the gasket?
    Is your electrical system working? Is it cranking but not firing up?
    Or is just not even trying to crank?
    I'd suggest checking your distributor, plug wires, and spark plugs.
    Once that is done, check your fuel lines. Make sure they're going the correct places AND connected.

Diagnosing a problem like this is difficult to do as I don't know what, if anything, you have already checked. So if you have a list of things that are already checked, post that up.
    Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

If you smell gas, check really carefully for leaks around the fuel rail, the supply line from the fuel filter, and the return line on the other side.

if there's no leak, it could smell like gas because you cranked it a bunch and the ignition isn't firing.

Anyway at this point you need to check the basics. You need 3 things for the engine to fire, SPARK, FUEL, COMPRESSION, (and the timing of those).

Since you did the head, you need to make 100% sure the cam timing is right. Take off the valve cover and put the engine at TDC of cyl #1, make sure the marks on the cam gear are lined up, and then make sure the exhaust and intake lobes on the #1 cylinder are both away from the rockers.

IF YOU CRANK THE MOTOR OVER WITH THE CAM TIMING WRONG YOU WILL WRECK YOUR VALVES, so make sure the cam timing is right, and before you ever crank the motor after doing a head gasket, you need to turn the motor over by hand with a wrench at least 2 times on the crank pulley and make sure nothing is binding or hitting.

I would then pull the distributor cap and make sure the rotor is pointing to the #1 plug wire to make sure your distributor isn't on backwards.

Check for spark with an old plug in the plug wire. like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUOmsGiirTU

If you have spark, then the easiest way to check for fuel is to spray some carb cleaner into the intake manifold while you crank the motor. Pull off the PVC line from the intake manifold and spray directly into the manifold while you crank the motor, if the motor starts firing and running, then it's running off the carb cleaner and you know you have no fuel from the injectors.

At that point either the injectors arent firing or they dont have fuel. You can tell if they fire by listening to them clicking. Put a screwdriver against the injectors and listen to it through the handle: like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA_E6X4ISgQ

if they're clicking, then you probably dont have fuel pressure. At that point I'd jump the fuel pump to make sure it's running, and then unbolt the fuel supply to the rail a little to see if fuel sprays out and you have pressure.

Comment

I'm putting money on, that you forgot to connect the ground on the thermostat.
        Also google ericthecarguy on YouTube. He does a great job on how to diagnosis a cranking, not starting issue on hondas
        Last edited by Grumpys93; 09-11-2017, 11:34 PM.
        ~Nick~
        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
          I'm putting money on, that you forgot to connect the ground on the thermostat.
          Probably.
          Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Sorry for the vague question i was running on 30 hours of no sleep at the time of the post.

I do have spark at the plugs.

During removal ive made notes, make marks, and takin photos to make sure the timing was the same before removal. (yes the ground is on the thermostat)

Which leads me to a fuel issue. Before this I've never touched the fuel system myself.
            I've cleaned the injectors and replace the o rings with new ones.
            Their wasn't the smell of gas before cranking the system. Only after. Coming from the plug tubes. So it's getting some but, not enough for combustion i guess.

When i had the system open it was open for about a week. So i wonder if air is still in the fuel system, preventing fuel to properly run threw the injectors?

I did have the front end of the car jacked up @3 feet (Also doing exhaust work) while i was trying to start the car. This could be irrelevant.

Ill get a compressor tester at work to make sure i have the right amount of pressure.

Back to the to fuel rail. I just snugged the release valve and the fuel line cap. I was afraid of breaking the fuel rail.

To check the injectors are clicking im assuming you just stick a screw driver to it and put your ear to it.

All heater hoses and vacuum lines have been replaced with new lines so i doubt i have a leak within them.

Comment

Originally posted by 417HondaNoob View Post
              Sorry for the vague question i was running on 30 hours of no sleep at the time of the post.

I do have spark at the plugs.

During removal ive made notes, make marks, and takin photos to make sure the timing was the same before removal. (yes the ground is on the thermostat)

Which leads me to a fuel issue. Before this I've never touched the fuel system myself.
              I've cleaned the injectors and replace the o rings with new ones.
              Their wasn't the smell of gas before cranking the system. Only after. Coming from the plug tubes. So it's getting some but, not enough for combustion i guess.

When i had the system open it was open for about a week. So i wonder if air is still in the fuel system, preventing fuel to properly run threw the injectors?

I did have the front end of the car jacked up @3 feet (Also doing exhaust work) while i was trying to start the car. This could be irrelevant.

Ill get a compressor tester at work to make sure i have the right amount of pressure.

Back to the to fuel rail. I just snugged the release valve and the fuel line cap. I was afraid of breaking the fuel rail.

To check the injectors are clicking im assuming you just stick a screw driver to it and put your ear to it.

All heater hoses and vacuum lines have been replaced with new lines so i doubt i have a leak within them.
              you need three things to start the combustion, air, fuel and spark. You confirmed having spark and obviously the engine gets air when attempting to crank so the last piece of the puzzle is fuel. How much fuel is in your tank? I ask because if you were trying to start the engine with the car inclined you might not have fuel at the pickup. Have you tried starting it on level ground?

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                I'm putting money on, that you forgot to connect the ground on the thermostat.]
                came here to say the same thing. always catches people off guard.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                Current cars:
                - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Bunta View Post
                  you need three things to start the combustion, air, fuel and spark. You confirmed having spark and obviously the engine gets air when attempting to crank so the last piece of the puzzle is fuel. How much fuel is in your tank? I ask because if you were trying to start the engine with the car inclined you might not have fuel at the pickup. Have you tried starting it on level ground?
                  The tank is full.

I did set it back down to level ground. Then tried it, but it didn't make a difference. I let it sit over night and im going to try it again.

My instituter told me to prime the fuel system by putting the car into the ON position and then turn it off after 2-3 seconds. Then repeat this 3-4 times.

Comment

If you've attempted to crank multiple times then the system probably purged all air and primed the system. Have you pulled your spark plugs are cranking to see if they were wet? Or did you just base it off the smell of gas?
                    ~Nick~
                    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13

Comment

I've solved it. I'm a retard.

I had cylinder 1 and 4 at BDC and had 2 and 3 at TDC.

I just took the cam shaft out and hand cranked the engine. Then put everything back together and everything started up just fine.

Other then the engine burning off the remaining coolant it seems to run just fine.

Adjusted the valve lash, so no more ticking from the rocker arms.

I put on some pace setter exhaust manifold on. It gets hot pretty fast so ill have to get some header wraps for it.

Comment

Awesome glad you solved the issue and thank you for reporting back to us on what it was. This could help a future member solve their issue.
                        ~Nick~

Comment

Working...
                        X