Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question about some coilover sleeves i just got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about some coilover sleeves i just got?

So I just picked these up but I have a few questions?
    1 why is the sleeve on the left longer then the others and 2 they came with a shit ton of different size rubber orings..what are those for? And do I have to grind down my perches on my strut first...that's what I heard you have to do with sleeves?

Don't install them!

They are clearly mis-matched.

Also, the rubber o-rings are to go between the shock body and the sleeve so it doesn't rattle around. You should have two per sleeve. If you don't then that's a second reason to not install them.
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Wouldn't that only affect the heightand I can just adjust that to compensate

Comment

That is odd that one sleeve is longer than the others. I've only seen them all the same length or two that are longer that you use for the rears.
        "My FOR SALE thread - Click here"

MEMBERS RIDE

99 SILVERADO

WHEEL FLIP

Comment

I got them off cl for 35 and of corse i didnt notice until I got home but I feel like it should be good I just have more unneeded room on that sleeve...right?

Comment

Originally posted by alekp92jdm View Post
            I got them off cl for 35 and of corse i didnt notice until I got home but I feel like it should be good I just have more unneeded room on that sleeve...right?
            Essentially. yes

Comment

If you want to use the crap sleeves, then yes.

Make sure the shocks are strong, and make sure the springs match left to right. You should really have helper springs too.
              There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Resell them on CL and save for real coilovers with spring rates matched to your car. Those are obviously cheap and not correct for your car.
                Here are what the cheapest real coilovers look like for your car:

Notice the difference in hardware, the difference in sleeve length and the difference in springs?
                Last edited by wildBill83; 11-29-2012, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't even sell them. Just count them as a loss and save up for a good suspension setup. Even the best examples of these cheap sleeves have unpredictable spring rates and are dry unsafe. None should be used with OEM shocks.
                  My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I would take your guyses advise and sell them but I know there cheep ass eBay coils that's why I got them because I'm broke and can't afford to spend $500-$600 to lower my car so these $35 coils will work for now and plus, I know many people ridding on eBay coils...yes with blown struts but they are still alive and just deal with the bumpy ride

Comment

It's not about a bumpy ride. It's about you creating an unpredictable suspension because the shocks are blown and the way-too-lowered coilovers will not behave how you think they will in extreme circumstances. This puts other people on the road in danger. But what do you care? Your goal in life is to have a lowered car.
                      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

That's not my goal in life but what you guys don't understand is not everyone has the money to do everything the right way....I've be driving around on lowering springs and blown struts for over a year now and had no problems I just want another inch lower if that

Comment

And what you don't understand is that you're perfectly willing to put your trivial wants above the safety of yourself and others. You complain about not having any money, but you could have had $35 more had you not bought these. Also, do you not see how backwards it is to have lowering springs and blown shocks and instead of spending money on the one thing you did need you went out and bought essentially what you already had? Only adjustable this time.

Comment

Shit, the way you are talking why don't you just chop your springs? You are obviously very determined to slam you car at any cost and you are not listening to any reason what so ever so you might as well chop them.

It would ride a lot better than those bullshit ass sleeves you got anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by alekp92jdm View Post
                              I would take your guyses advise and sell them but I know there cheep ass eBay coils that's why I got them because I'm broke and can't afford to spend $500-$600 to lower my car so these $35 coils will work for now and plus, I know many people ridding on eBay coils...yes with blown struts but they are still alive and just deal with the bumpy ride
                              if you're broke right now how broke are you going to be when something breaks on your car or someone else loses their life( i know it is to the extreme but shit can happen)

from what i understand you don't have money but you NEED to have your car lowered so b/c you NEED to have your lowered you will sacrifice your safety and anybody else on the road to save money even though you may lose more money in the long run.

maybe you should be an entrepreneur and open up a new business in this economy being you like to take big risks
                              ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

Working...
                              X